PDA

View Full Version : Turbos in Winter

VroomPshhTsi
03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey guys, another question.

Who here has a daily driver that is turbo or supercharged? I'm wondering about getting another dsm (yes I know they aren't the definition of "reliable" lol) but mine always worked because of good maintenance.

How bad is it for the turbo/engine in a winter like the one we just had?

Anyone have a turbo dsm or GTP and drive it through winter?

What kind of damage can happen and has anyone experienced any?

I'm wondering if I should stick with the safe civic for my dd or if I can still have a dsm or GTP. Thanks.

- Brian

Slow Joe
03-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Our Saab 9-3 Does AWESOME in the snow! 2.0 Turbo approx 210hp FWD with All Seasons... This is probably the best FWD vehicle I've ever driven in winter...

No damage, and we put about... 15k on this past winter... :thumbsup

Edit: Let the car warm up before driving when it's cold out... That's the one rule we followed...

Russ Jerome
03-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Have had several, driven year round.

Factory boost tables and fuel map's run richer and lower
boost to offset the cool incoming air (more power at the
same boost level due to lower ambient air temp).

A manual boost controller used over a non factory system
should be turned down a hair (or less timing) to keep from
detonation. It goes without saying not to pound it down
the street on startup at wide open throttle :)

sloLs1
03-29-2008, 10:02 PM
ive had no problems with my DD turbo saturn.... untill i hit a plastic tub on the freeway and runied my intercooler!

just make sure you let it warm up, and you'll be good to go. The worst thing to do is beat on a cold car!

VroomPshhTsi
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
K, I was figuring that but wanted to know if there was anything else to worry about.

About how long would you let your turbo car warm up? Are you talking idling in your driveway or just not accelerating aggressively?

Slow Joe
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
We let the Saab idle for at least 10min...

wikked
03-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Driven a dizzum in the winter for nearly 7yrs now... make sure the rubber turbo water lines are replaced, they WILL crack/break/leave you stranded in winter if they've never been replaced :P

Al
03-30-2008, 02:22 AM
My A4 runs fine in the winter. It seems to make a little more torque when it is cold out.

Just remember to wait a few seconds for the oil to get to the turbo.

BadAzzGTA89
03-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I own a supercharged Regal GS same as GTP and have had no problems at all with the car runs great in the winter!
It loves sucking in the cold air:thumbsup

tommyt5078
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
My stock 05' STi is a DD and runs fine if not better in the winter months :headbang

Syclone0044
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Just be careful if you go Ice Racing with your WRX STI/turbo car..... or it might end up sounding like THIS..... :stare:stare :punch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIUDRDllOI

CannotPost
03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Just be careful if you go Ice Racing with your WRX STI/turbo car..... or it might end up sounding like THIS..... :stare:stare :punch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEIUDRDllOI

LMFAO :thumbsup:thumbsup

ND4SPD
03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Turbos are fine in the winter. Wife's WRX does just fine.

1siksrt
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I drove my big turbo car all winter no problems, besides my engine bay looks like shit and needs to be cleaned now