PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Crapped Out.

Breecher_7
03-29-2008, 08:29 AM
So yesterday I get a call from my wife around lunch time and she tells me that the truck is loosing power and that it wont accerate as well as its starting very hard.

I immediatly think, "fuel filter is going bad"

So I go over there after work and immediatly see a puddle of diesel fuel under the truck. I crawl under there and cannot see where it is leaking from. I then proceed to try and start the truck, turns over hard and finnaly starts.

By the time I got the hood open the engine had died and there was more fuel leaking. I crawled back underneath and what do I seee. Fuel leaking from the bottom of the fuel filter where the water in fuel sensor screws in. So at this point im assuming a pinched o-ring and that the system is now airbound.

We call the gm roadside people to have it towed and they informed us that they needed to call the fire dept prior to having it towed because it was leaking fuel and that it happened in Northpoint fords parking lot.

So after a few mins Don Meyer, the head of service and other thing over there (not sure of his real title) got wind of this and came over only to find the one person he hates more than anything in life. Me.

I told him they were going to tow it to west bend as its close to our home and he stopped me and said no, its going to west allis. Upon questioning him as to why I was answered with. If you want it fixed right, you want it to go to west allis. He also made me promise that I give him the survey they send in the mail because they cannot afford any more bad surveys or somthing to that effect. Knowing that I probably would have sent it back with the worst reviews available, he was smart to do this and I agreed to it. He called a different towing company, had it towed, called the service manager and told him to get hot on it immediatly thismorning. So once again Don, if for some reason you find this, Thank You.

This does once again solidify my thoughts that the service dept at west bend truly sucks if the head of service had it towed 45 miles from my house and stated that it needed to go there if it were to be done right.

I am leaving here in about 30 mins to go sit in the waiting room for my truck, hope all turns out well.

I hate to say it, but this is acutally becoming a good experience with the company that I have learned to dislike so much.

Cryptic
03-29-2008, 09:16 AM
you have the worst luck with trucks

pOrk
03-29-2008, 09:46 AM
if my uncle works on it atleast you got the best tech in the company working on the truck I'll give you 20 grand for the truck as it sits ;)

BOSS LX
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I would have traded for a 6.4 when I was at griffin!:rolf

indyzmike
03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
if my uncle works on it atleast you got the best tech in the company working on the truck I'll give you 20 grand for the truck as it sits ;)

I'll second that on PORK's uncle!! THE ONLY tech that I trust to work on my vehicles.

Smokey1226
03-29-2008, 10:56 AM

+1

DirtyMax
03-29-2008, 11:00 AM
That sucks. I'm interested in finding out what the problem ended up being.

Feature Pony
03-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Should of bought a cummings!!! LOL Hope everything turns out well for ya.

Reverend Cooper
03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
hey great job on calling out publicly that he wants your survey, thats not fraud at all and it wont get him in trouble, better hope no one that works at another gm dealer sees this and prints it and gives it to a gm rep.

Smokey1226
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Should of bought a cummins!!! LOL Hope everything turns out well for ya.

:banana1::thumbsup

H8RADE
03-29-2008, 12:33 PM
WTF is a cummings?

Slow Joe
03-29-2008, 12:47 PM
hey great job on calling out publicly that he wants your survey, thats not fraud at all and it wont get him in trouble, better hope no one that works at another gm dealer sees this and prints it and gives it to a gm rep.

QFT! :thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
03-29-2008, 01:13 PM

+3 :rolf

DirtyMax
03-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Yeah so then he can be certian he'll need the fire department present....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKLKm5i2ic

... by the way, from what I'm reading and hearing, this doesn't seem to be an isolated occurrence.

Drove all of the big 3 last month when I was buying my diesel truck. Ford was the best looking from the front but the new interor was lacking, Dodge had the best engine but the rest of the truck just felt plasticy and cheap, and Chevy had the best interior by far and rode the best, but everything else I liked about the Ford and Dodge wasn't lacking far behind either in the Chevy. When factoring in everything, the Chevy was my top choice.

BAD LS1
03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah so then he can be certian he'll need the fire department present....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKLKm5i2ic

... by the way, from what I'm reading and hearing, this doesn't seem to be an isolated occurrence.

Drove all of the big 3 last month when I was buying my diesel truck. Ford was the best looking from the front but the new interor was lacking, Dodge had the best engine but the rest of the truck just felt plasticy and cheap, and Chevy had the best interior by far and rode the best, but everything else I liked about the Ford and Dodge wasn't lacking far behind either in the Chevy. When factoring in everything, the Chevy was my top choice.

:rolf:rolf Didn those burn some guys garage down with the truck running in it?? lol i guess they just didnt leave electrical fires have all the fun on those trucks:goof

SmokinRAM114
03-29-2008, 02:05 PM
haha durasmack they suck. 6.4 even worse. them new v8 diesel trucks are junk. i dont care what anyone says but a v-8 aluminum head diesel just isnt going to live. My dad has a 02 duramax nothing but front end problems and injector problems. I dont know one person that doesnt have a problem with ford or chevys. i dont even want to get started on Fords. the only thing they ever had going for them was the 7.3. even though in the performance world they are under powered and take millions to get them to go 11sec. they live a long time. 6.0s well we wont even go there all the hours i have in them ford should just certify me in those. 6.4s between the lack of power or so they are supposed to have burning barns down and the dpf just deciding to clean itself on a 30% grade pulling 10klbs leaving you stranded and the motor just well blowing up for no reason (yes my buddies just locked up due to some emission thing not working and it got hot) you only have the cummins not cummings left lol cast iron in line 6 20 year old block technology besides the IP garbage and in 98.5-02 and the there lack of having a good trans till 07.5 and track bars there isnt anything left to complain about.

DirtyMax
03-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm buying you a "Shift" key. I got a damn headache from reading all that ramble... :durr

The Cummins is a great motor. It's just everything else about the Ram, besides the motor, that I don't care for.....

SmokinRAM114
03-29-2008, 03:06 PM
good u will have that when you dont have to read the warranty manual everyother day. :goof

Crawlin
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM

GM is alot different than Toyota.

Toyota is VERY protective of the survey's. Gm, while they may say they don't want any outside influences, they sure didn't prosecute the last dealership when they found out they were giving out free tanks of gas and oil changes with the return of the survey directly TO that dealership. That way they could monitor exactly what was going out.

DoubleAron
03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah we have both a 2000 3500 and a 2001 2500 Cummins @ work and they SUCK!

Nothing but problems since day one with both. As a matter of fact I have the 3500 sitting in my drive way right now with a big puddle of oil under it and a handy coating of oil under the whole truck.:thumbsup Good thing it's not mine.

Rocket Power
03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Luckily all the new trucks are ugly so I don't feel bad about have an older one:goof

Reverend Cooper
03-29-2008, 05:04 PM
wow way to accurately gauge your customer happiness, fix the surveys

Slow Joe
03-29-2008, 05:46 PM
haha durasmack they suck. 6.4 even worse. them new v8 diesel trucks are junk. i dont care what anyone says but a v-8 aluminum head diesel just isnt going to live. My dad has a 02 duramax nothing but front end problems and injector problems. I dont know one person that doesnt have a problem with ford or chevys. i dont even want to get started on Fords. the only thing they ever had going for them was the 7.3. even though in the performance world they are under powered and take millions to get them to go 11sec. they live a long time. 6.0s well we wont even go there all the hours i have in them ford should just certify me in those. 6.4s between the lack of power or so they are supposed to have burning barns down and the dpf just deciding to clean itself on a 30% grade pulling 10klbs leaving you stranded and the motor just well blowing up for no reason (yes my buddies just locked up due to some emission thing not working and it got hot) you only have the cummins not cummings left lol cast iron in line 6 20 year old block technology besides the IP garbage and in 98.5-02 and the there lack of having a good trans till 07.5 and track bars there isnt anything left to complain about.

Wow, that's a ramble... But I'll throw in my .02 about diesels... My dad's '04 F250 Diesel went 65k w/o any problems... Then he traded it in on his Mercedes, so I don't know what happened after that...

pOrk
03-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Yea, the Durmax motors dont last at all :rolleyes: Your soo right on that, a good friend of mine that transports cars for a living just broke 225,000 miles on his 05 Duramax and only thing he had to replace besides maintance crap was a head gaskette. Most of those miles he was hauling his 3 car gooseneck. They sure are junk :alcoholic

88Nightmare
03-29-2008, 06:50 PM
at least your friend doesnt have a dodge with 225k miles, otherwise he'd be on his 6th transmission

GRAMPS SS
03-29-2008, 07:02 PM
every brand does have its POS.......my friend GENO has a Duramax...no problems...but i know SMOKINRAM(CHRIS'S) dad ..and it is a POS....a few friends have DODGE CUMMINS...you can see them 1/3 of them at the dealer getting fixed in the falls....My brother has all fords....NEW..problems on most of them ...work trucks at that....then i have a friend that has a older POWER STROKE....chris you know him too .(Tim from out at the shop)..we use the truck to tow the car trailer and to get parts ,fuel..etc.....we have had only 2 problems with it...had to rebuild the front end in novemeber and last month had to put a new wireing harness on the passenger side that goes over the valve cover..has 120k on it........so they all have a hit or miss with them.....JMO

88Nightmare
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
hey wayne, my buddies 7.3 powerstroke also had to replace that wiring harness under the valve cover, right about the same mileage.

T-Bag
03-29-2008, 07:32 PM
So this is what I got from this thread

Duramax's suck
New powerstroke's start houses on fire
Smokinram failed engrish
Cummin's are God's of diesels but Dodge sucks
Ford 7.3 Powerstrokes were aight

Cool

88Nightmare
03-29-2008, 07:41 PM
you got one fact wrong. duramax's kick ass, along with the truck around them ;)

DirtyMax
03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm just tuned in to see what the problem with Breecher's truck was.

GRAMPS SS
03-29-2008, 08:24 PM
^^^^must not of gotten it fixed...or he would of chimmed in by now.....

USMARINE1108
My buddy is restoring his grandpa's 76 chevy dually. He just bought a late 90's (cant' remember the exact year) dodge with a 12 valve. He's going to use the 12 valve and trans from the dodge for the 76 chevy. Should be interesting.

So I guess its not exactly a restoration (the 76 currently has a CAT in it), more of a build with a truck that has sentimental value (and over a half million miles).

Russ Jerome
Fuel leaking from the bottom of the fuel filter where the water in fuel sensor screws in. told him they were going to tow it to west bend as its close to our home and he stopped me and said no, its going to west allis.

Tow it for a fuel leak at the problematic GM frame mounted fuel filter?
Surprised you havent replaced that piece of crap with a good fuel
filter/booster pump yet, easy starts after filter replacement later.
10min filter fix would have been a lot cheaper and quicker than the
hassel of dealing with some dealership knobshine who doesnt know
**** about diesels.

Im a big fan of the Duramax lower end but you can take any of the
light duty diesel v-8's and throw there emission laiden motors right
in the scrap pile ( I actualy have to work on these turds every day).

The diesel motor since its inception was an inline motor designed to
take advantage the torque and thrust of its stroke, not a v-8 that
requires small rods and wimpy headgaskets as well as limited head
clamping ability due to its design. Looking forward to CAT getting into
the light duty line in a couple years, Cummins will still be around by
then as well (Dont look for Powerstrokes in there present configuration
for very long, that thing is a lemmon).

Breecher_7
03-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Fuel Filter is Block mounted, not frame mounted.....

Anyways, truck was fixed correctly and on time. Big thanks to Jesse at west allis.

Was exactly what I thought it was, o-ring on the bottom of the filter where the Water in fuel sensor screws in.

FourEyedFord
03-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Nothing but problems since day one with both. As a matter of fact I have the 3500 sitting in my drive way right now with a big puddle of oil under it and a handy coating of oil under the whole truck.:thumbsup Good thing it's not mine.

You better get that thing fixed, the 7.3 PSD wants a piece!! :D

Russ Jerome
03-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Fuel Filter is Block mounted, not frame mounted.....

You are correct sir, I typed wrong an Air Dog or other upgrade
pump goes on the frame on your 07 or older. The common leak
they fixxed is a Buna seal, buy a 20 count bag of fuel safe seals
1 3/16" x 1 1/2" x 5/32" and never call the tow truck again!
Fuel Systems on Robin lane has them for $12 a bag as well as Napa.

SmokinRAM114
03-30-2008, 11:24 AM
glad i rambled like i did. i suck at engrish:durr but meh i dont care.

05 dirtymax were about the best year. ur buddy had to replace a head gasket cuz its an aluminum head.:D my brother has a 98 12v cummins with 280k rounds never had a thing touched. except the pump is cranked to the max and a custom ground fuel plate.:devil

i love diesels, thats all for me.:headbang:banana

07ROUSHSTG3
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
the problem with all new diesels are:

the majority of owners do not need a diesel so that makes the manufacturers worry more about the driveability of the damned things more than the actual "ability" of them. when the main diesel buyer was farmer joe, the manufacturers could get away with things like the 7.3 powerstroke, but not anymore. with the boom in diesel sales, not only have the manufacturers been manipulating the market, but now the government has stepped in and regulated the type of fuel, how clean the exhaust must be, and soon they will start regulating the fuel mileage on them too.

they all have their issues, but they are only going to get worse over the years with the regulations only increasing.

Russ Jerome
03-30-2008, 02:09 PM
We see every make of diesel in every class of truck (light pickups up to class8+) at
semi dealers. The emissions support items are on "everything" now and the growing
pain are costing HP, torque and reliability as fuel milage drops yearly.

I've put EGR coolers on everything from 14ltr Cummins DOHC 575hp over the road
trucks to little 365 v-8 Internationals (lemmons you guys call the new Powerstroke).

Not too many yr's ago you replaced rods and main bearings every 250k miles
on big truck. Small diesels like 5.9s or even the old 6.2 slugs you would put
a lift pump on after a few years...........now our service lot is full of 8k mile
trucks waiting on a 8hr egr cooler instal.

DoubleAron
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
You better get that thing fixed, the 7.3 PSD wants a piece!! :D

Well maybe if I could get a return call from at least one of you clowns!:nutkick:chair:

SmokinRAM114
03-30-2008, 08:06 PM

probly the vacuum pump seal went bunk. hopefully not the rear main