PDA

View Full Version : Holy crap Circuit City sucks!

FBPwon
03-29-2008, 08:14 AM
In a matter of days this has has exploded into major news across the nation. It's hit digg, autoblog, etc... check out all the link-backs at the bottom of the page!! I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the news today. I feel bad for this guy who is now seeking litigation. This happened at a Curcuit City store in IL:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/garage/86748-vtecnicals-circuit-city-road-shop-installation.html

Breecher_7
03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Doesnt supprise me, im still waiting for my HD tv to be fixed under there warranty plan. Its been 2 weeks...

FBPwon
03-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Apparently caused over $12,000 in damage!! I'd be pissed! :mad:

lordairgtar
03-29-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't believe they cut up his heater box without consulting with him on that. Wouldn't they have said the unit doesn't fit his kind of car?

PureSound15
03-29-2008, 09:35 AM
I can't believe they cut up his heater box without consulting with him on that. Wouldn't they have said the unit doesn't fit his kind of car?

Common practice to cut a heating channel and tape over it, but the more professional way of doing it is to heat the plastic and then mold it into the shape that is needed to accommodate the radio.

Every radio shop does that. an S10 pickup would have a radio sticking 3" out of the dash without the use of this method.

BUT... 12k in damage is ridiculous.

Mr Twigbert
03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know what the size of this new radio was but I'm guessing it was at least 2X the size of the factory radio..

THUS, you do the math on how its going to fit w/o modicications.. I'm not saying it wasn't a professional install but the owner should have forseen the problem before it was a problem..

FBPwon
03-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Here's the vid he just posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMhUhJmBStg

ND4SPD
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Okay, something about this stinks to high heaven. I'm not defending CC's crappy installation job... but wtf? If you look at the estimate there is stuff listed on there that wasn't even touched. Windows , lock assemblies, the dash gauges. He says in the video that he was driving it around so obviously the gauges work. Something about this smells like fraud. He doesn't elaborate at all in his post as to what was damaged other than the heater duct and the wiring harness, yet there's supposed to be $12,000 damage.:wtf
I think the "unsafe to drive" is a bit overblown too. Of all the car fires I've seen and fought only one was due to a shorted out wire in the passenger compartment (and that was due to some kid trying to ghetto-rig his amp and subwoofer in with a tiny ass wire for the power lead).
So this guy basically posts, yeah, CC f'ed up my car and it's going to cost $12k to fix... no chain of events, no description of damage other than an estimate from a dealership. Who, let's face it, is going to make a ton of money from this as well, so I'm sure they're willing to go along with this. Oh, that panel has a tiny scratch in it... gotta replace that. The way he's playing up this "put me and my passengers in danger stuff" also says to me he's going to try to sue them for damages he doesn't really deserve in the hopes that they'll just settle out of court to shut him up. There has to be more to this story than he is letting on.

T-Bag
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Okay, something about this stinks to high heaven. I'm not defending CC's crappy installation job... but wtf? If you look at the estimate there is stuff listed on there that wasn't even touched. Windows , lock assemblies, the dash gauges. He says in the video that he was driving it around so obviously the gauges work. Something about this smells like fraud. He doesn't elaborate at all in his post as to what was damaged other than the heater duct and the wiring harness, yet there's supposed to be $12,000 damage.:wtf
I think the "unsafe to drive" is a bit overblown too. Of all the car fires I've seen and fought only one was due to a shorted out wire in the passenger compartment (and that was due to some kid trying to ghetto-rig his amp and subwoofer in with a tiny ass wire for the power lead).
So this guy basically posts, yeah, CC f'ed up my car and it's going to cost $12k to fix... no chain of events, no description of damage other than an estimate from a dealership. Who, let's face it, is going to make a ton of money from this as well, so I'm sure they're willing to go along with this. Oh, that panel has a tiny scratch in it... gotta replace that. The way he's playing up this "put me and my passengers in danger stuff" also says to me he's going to try to sue them for damages he doesn't really deserve in the hopes that they'll just settle out of court to shut him up. There has to be more to this story than he is letting on.

I'm going to have to agree with you. Circuit City is a shithole and I would NEVER let them touch any of my cars...but this guy is a ******* tool. He's trying to milk them of everything. The dealership is just going to splice in a harness anyways so where the **** does this 12 grand come from? I could roll that car and not have 12 grand worth of damage. Ok maybe that's pushing it....

domokun
03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
actually, he would need a whole new wiring harness, which includes installation. without have the car apart, its very hard. hes quoted for 44hrs labor for that. plus all the parts ( dash, heater core, harmess, dash cover, door panels )

it all adds up

Yooformula
03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
SOMETHING must have happened for someone to have taken the dash apart so my guess is that something stopped working due to their hacking. when was the last time you opened a dash up and looked at the wiring? newer cars wiring harnesses are so integrated into the car's systems that its very easy to hack something and end up needing an entire harness to repair it. there was NO reason for CC to hack those wires when they could have gotten a wiring harness from ebay for shit's sake!

ND4SPD
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
actually, he would need a whole new wiring harness, which includes installation. without have the car apart, its very hard. hes quoted for 44hrs labor for that. plus all the parts ( dash, heater core, harmess, dash cover, door panels )

it all adds up

Why does he need a new gauge cluster then? I think there is even a new ECU listed. I think what is going on is he told the dealership to just assume that every electronic component connected to that harness is bad and needs to be replaced. Also, the service writer that wrote up that work order needs to work on their spelling a little bit.

Look at some of this guy's posts...

Thank you for the support everyone. I feel awful after driving a car that is unsafe for the road and had ZERO help from Circuit City's staff.

Give me a break... this guy is full of sh*t. How is the car unsafe for the road? Because Honda "says" that the wiring harness could supposedly burst into flames at any moment?:rolleyes: This is a Mugen Si... does he really expect us to believe that he drives the thing around like an old lady? I'm sure he's raced it at least once which would be a hell of a lot more dangerous than anything his stereo wiring harness does to him.

Also, I do have some experience with this... back when I had a '94 3000GT VR-4, I came home one day to find out that it had been broken into and vandalized. The thieves had ripped apart the inside of my car, chopped up the stock ECU harness (to get the piggy backs out), taken all of the bolt-ons out from under the hood, screwed up a bunch of stuff (including parts of the engine harness). The car wouldn't even run the way they left it. The grand total to fix the stuff in my VR-4 was about $3000to put it back to stock. Bear in mind that things like the bypass valve, airbox, boost solenoids, all sorts of stuff had to be replaced. That was with all the body damage, broken glass, etc... I can see the damages for this guy running in the $3000 to $6000 range... parts and labor. I know parts are expensive... but $12,000... I really don't think so. How much of that stuff is being replaced, that doesn't really need to be replaced.

limpimpg
03-29-2008, 04:51 PM
sorry labor rate doesn't add up says 49 then 51
sounds to me insurance would pay for stolen stereo since not stock.

zerepdivad
03-30-2008, 03:53 AM
I have a feeling this guys is trying to pull some shit.... I'm an installer at Best Buy, and i'm not just saying this shit because he's also a big box installer, i could carel less i've had to fix many halfassed installs from circuit city and some even from small shops. But i NEVER cut into a dash even if its not visible unless i am asked to by a customer and in then go into great detail on my invoices about it. This is a common thing for people to want done in order for their shit to be installed. And honestly i bet this guy didn't want to wait for his harness to come in since it's such a new car it was probably not in stock and he most likely told them to do what they had to do to make it all work. And i'm sure he's even one of thsoe dumbasses who sit there and try to bribe the installer with 20 bucks to bypass their parking brake in order to watch a video while driving.

Believe me i've had jackasses try and pull shit like that on me, but i get EVERYTHING in writing and have them sign it and sometimes even put that i INSISTED in not doing so, but am sometimes almost forced to by my managers so that we don't lose a big sale.... I'm not defending the guy who did the install but who knows maybe he is just a dumbass and did all that but honestly most installers wouldn't just go ahead and chop up a brand new car like that unless the customer insists. That's just my take on things who knows what really happened.

zerepdivad
03-30-2008, 04:01 AM
Ok i just watched that video and honestly they sell reverse harnesses to put them back to factory i've had to do that many times when dumbasses cut their wiring trying to save 20 bucks and then don't know what they're doing. The only "damage" i saw in that video was a need for a
-20 dollar reverse harness for the radio, and
-maybe 15 bucks a pop for reverse harnesses for the speakers which were probably just spliced off and hard wired to the aftermarket ones. *which i personally NEVER cut off regardless if the customer asks me to, i just union splice into them if we don't have the speaker adaptors and don't cut off the factor plugs EVER*

Honestly nothign about that was in any way a fire hazard i could understand if there were bare wires all over the place but there weren't. I'm not saying it's not halfassed but honestly nowhere near 12gs in "damage". And obviously the heater ducts need to be replaced but then he won't be having that pioneer anytime soon without altering that.

Reverend Cooper
03-30-2008, 07:01 AM
ahahahahha sucks to be him

T-Bag
03-30-2008, 12:28 PM

it all adds up

He's milking it. The dealership ran that up because they both knew that some sort of insurance would be taking care of it.

Quoted 44 hours of labor to take a dash apart and replace some harnesses? Give me a ******* break. They are basically talking about replacing shit that isn't even needed.

This guy is a tool along with the dealership he's took his piece of shit too. **** circuit city for ******* it up, but **** him for being a little assbag trying to milk every penny out of them for shit that had nothing to do with what they did.

BlackViper
03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
This guy is the following:

crybaby
homo
asshat
douchebag
butt pirate
momo

and many more

Syclone0044
03-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Good analysis by ND4SPD. The fact that he barely posted any details is the most suspicious to me.

84hurst
03-30-2008, 02:30 PM
This definately sounds fishy. 12k is outrageous. Even so, CC is responsible. What a bunch of hacks.