03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
http://www.dubai-architecture.info/DUB-GAL1.htm

http://www.dubai-architecture.info/

Myles
03-28-2008, 11:13 AM
holy ****, those are some insane and awesome looking buildings

domokun
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
dubai is a awesome place. AT&T might be sending me there for work for a 6 month contract. I cant wait!

Car Guy
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Anybody want to guess where all of that money is coming from...??? :shades :shades :shades

I seriously hate to admit it but America's days are quickly coming to and end when it comes to '#1' in the world. I'm not talking about 5 or 10 years from now but it's unavoidable with the path that we're on currently.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

T-Bag
03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm so going there soon

What a development that place has been

That_Guy
03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
dubai is a awesome place. AT&T might be sending me there for work for a 6 month contract. I cant wait!

yep ... i may end up going there to do some architecture work. :thumbsup the small firm i work for has been sub contracted to do a huge amount of work. "hilton"

this is what happens when your nation as a hole have more money then you know what to do with

opec ftl

domokun
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Anybody want to guess where all of that money is coming from...??? :shades :shades :shades

I seriously hate to admit it but America's days are quickly coming to and end when it comes to '#1' in the world. I'm not talking about 5 or 10 years from now but it's unavoidable with the path that we're on currently.....

car guy, only 6% of there revenue comes from oil ;) the rest is mostly tourism. which is true. about 70% of the population over there now are American / Canadian the rest are Arabs. bet you didn't know that ;)

Car Guy
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
car guy, only 6% of there revenue comes from oil ;) the rest is mostly tourism. which is true. about 70% of the population over there now are American / Canadian the rest are Arabs. bet you didn't know that ;)

I actually did know that already....:thumbsup

So who's backing all of the development...??? It has to come from somewhere, and with the amount of development going on there's no way tourism alone is covering the bill.....

domokun
03-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I actually did know that already....:thumbsup

So who's backing all of the development...??? It has to come from somewhere, and with the amount of development going on there's no way tourism alone is covering the bill.....

actually tourism is very close to covering about 50% of it. when it comes to 400 -2000 a night for a hotel. also all the money they have left over when oil was big over there.

USMARINE1108
03-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I've been there many times, must be 8-9. It is a nice place with a lot of cool stuff, but it also has it's ghetto. Its pretty much the Las Vegas of the middle east, bad stuff included. Don't be fooled by a bunch of nice buildings, it's just like any other place in the world. Food you don't want to eat, prostitution, crime, drugs, poverty, overprices products, etc. Most of the people you run into are either of middle easter decent or European by the way. Again, it is a nice place with lots of cool stuff, but dont be fooled into thinking its the greatest place on earth. UAE, I say..........meh. Go to Vegas.

domokun
03-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I've been there many times, must be 8-9. It is a nice place with a lot of cool stuff, but it also has it's ghetto. Its pretty much the Las Vegas of the middle east, bad stuff included. Don't be fooled by a bunch of nice buildings, it's just like any other place in the world. Food you don't want to eat, prostitution, crime, drugs, poverty, overprices products, etc. Most of the people you run into are either of middle easter decent or European by the way. Again, it is a nice place with lots of cool stuff, but dont be fooled into thinking its the greatest place on earth. UAE, I say..........meh. Go to Vegas.

you must have not been there in awhile, prostaution = jail and death. food is has states food ( pizza hut, kfc, mcdonalds, bk, taco bell etc ) drugs are in every part of the world, but again dubai is stricter than the states. 68-70% of the population are american or canadian decent there for business, construction, or living and tourism. its pricey compared to here yes...but thats the cost of living. $20hr pay here is close to $38hr there.

something to think about

USMARINE1108
03-28-2008, 02:44 PM
you must have not been there in awhile, prostaution = jail and death. food is has states food ( pizza hut, kfc, mcdonalds, bk, taco bell etc ) drugs are in every part of the world, but again dubai is stricter than the states. 68-70% of the population are american or canadian decent there for business, construction, or living and tourism. its pricey compared to here yes...but thats the cost of living. $20hr pay here is close to $38hr there.

something to think about

:rolf Are you from their tourism board or something? Guess what, that stuff is illegal here too. ;) Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. http://www.muslimedia.com/ARCHIVES/oaw98/dubai.htm Prostitution is EXTREMELY prevelant there. http://current.com/items/76359062_dubai_prostitution You go to any nightclub, and there are Russian women ALL OVER. Same thing on street corners, bars, at malls, in the gold souk, even outside the indoor ski slope and water park, they're everywhere. Prostitution may not be legal there, but it's not enforced. Same thing with drugs, child labor, etc. Last time I was there was in 2006.

And for those who are wondering, no, I've never "done" a whore there.

awsomeears
03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
^ Wow I watched that, you weren't joking ^

USMARINE1108
03-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I do have to say, it's pretty funny to ride in a cab on their freeway. The cabs all have governers on them, along with sirens that squeal at you when you are close to hitting the speed limiter. The drivers don't care, they haul ass down the road with the siren squeeling at you while you bob your head from the motion of the motor surging from the governer. They turn up the radio louder then the squeeling. It's pretty funny.

domokun
03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
:rolf Are you from their tourism board or something? Guess what, that stuff is illegal here too. ;) Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. http://www.muslimedia.com/ARCHIVES/oaw98/dubai.htm Prostitution is EXTREMELY prevelant there. http://current.com/items/76359062_dubai_prostitution You go to any nightclub, and there are Russian women ALL OVER. Same thing on street corners, bars, at malls, in the gold souk, even outside the indoor ski slope and water park, they're everywhere. Prostitution may not be legal there, but it's not enforced. Same thing with drugs, child labor, etc. Last time I was there was in 2006.

And for those who are wondering, no, I've never "done" a whore there.

"the cyclone" has been closed since the beginning of 2007 end of 2006 for this prime reason. every since Dubai has boomed by almost 400% in tourism in the past 2 years, also almost 200% for business. they have been cutting down DRAMATICALLY on drugs, prostitution, etc

sorry, I just know A LOT about this place, plus I have 2 good friends from work that live there right now that I speak to daily over out inhouse chat program. so we usually talk about work, then the area since I may be going out there.

Karps TA
03-28-2008, 04:04 PM
You guys are making prostitution sound like it's a bad thing. lol I consider it a selling point, not a problem.

USMARINE1108
03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
"the cyclone" has been closed since the beginning of 2007 end of 2006 for this prime reason. every since Dubai has boomed by almost 400% in tourism in the past 2 years, also almost 200% for business. they have been cutting down DRAMATICALLY on drugs, prostitution, etc

sorry, I just know A LOT about this place, plus I have 2 good friends from work that live there right now that I speak to daily over out inhouse chat program. so we usually talk about work, then the area since I may be going out there.

Ummmmm, that's not the only place prostitution takes place in the city, or even the UAE for that matter. I've never even been to the "cyclone". It's just the one mentioned in the video. Even if it is closed, there are many more just like it. Believe me, there are many more. Not to mention, I know plenty of people who just returned home 2 months ago who spent a total of about 2 weeks there, they say it's still the same. Prostitution will never die there. The .gov doesnt enforce its laws on prostitution. The businessmen and tourists like it too much, and that keeps them comming back.

badass88gt
03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd think twice about going over there....

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23436226-details/Briton+jailed+in+Dubai+after+officials+find+cannab is+weighing+less+than+a+grain+f+sugar+under+his+sh oe/article.do

Karps TA
03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow can't believe they caught pot on that guy. How did they even know to look?

badass88gt
03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
It was a lucky guess mon.

Did you actually read the text though? Its ridiculous....

Karps TA
03-28-2008, 04:40 PM
No, as soon as I saw the pic I started laughing

But I think anyone is nuts to break laws in other countries, especially muslim ones. They don't screw around.

badass88gt
03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
It was microscopic....couldnt even see the damn thing.

Jailed: Keith Brown had a speck of cannabis on his shoe
A father-of-three who was found with a microscopic speck of cannabis stuck to the bottom of one of his shoes has been sentenced to four years in a Dubai prison.

Mr Le-Huy, 31, head of technology with Big Brother production company Endemol, was arrested on suspicion of possessing illegal drugs after customs officers found melatonin, a health supplement used for jet lag available over the counter both in Dubai and in the US.

Car Guy
03-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Well if that's the case I sure as hell will never be over there. Not that I would test positive for anything :shades but that's overly ridiculous.....

Cryptic
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Looks like they got their sh!t together... I saw a special on tv about Dubai

domokun
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
and here you guys thought I was messing around.... :( like I said, I know people that I talk to DAILY that are over there, and have been for the past 7 months, ( I think ).

we are working on our international business for AT&T for our IT infrastructure for TV ( aka u-verse )

PureSound15
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
And that would be why the prince of dubai drives a car once

After all... you've gotta have that new car feel. Not the 4 mile feel.

West Coast Customs has a shop there already :eek:

HAMRHEAD
03-28-2008, 06:20 PM
They are strict on some things over there but very easy going on a lot of other stuff. The authorities don't like to waste their time with a lot of things. There is plenty of crime there. I have no desire to visit the UAE or anywhere else in the middleeast anytime soon again. Plus non citizens are treated like shit there. Not talking about tourists or contractors but laborers from smaller countries. It is a small form of slavery there. Seen it over and over. Not to me but to many others. With money comes corruption, it is just the way it is in the world!

Breecher_7
03-28-2008, 09:17 PM

Im not so much a fan... Dubai was boring IMO.