PDA

View Full Version : Since were on the subject of Salvage yards...

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 02:02 AM
What are some good yards too go walking through? i don't know about you but i always have a good time walking through salvage yards/junkyards. theres usually alot of good photo-ops in there too. I know most junkyards/salvage yards don't let cameras in but you can be sneeky.So what are some good ones.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-27-2008, 10:13 AM
In my area, the only yards that let folks in are Sturtevant Auto Salvage on I-94 & Hwy20 and Al's in Franklin at 8 Mile 124th St/45 North.
Both are a good way to waste a few hours on a Saturday mornoing, just gotta have the right timing to avoid the sloopy azz mud and giant lakes that form time to time.

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Never heard about yards being picky about having a camera to take pictures...??? :confused :confused :confused

As far as GOOD yards to walk through there is only one that comes to mind and it's down in Waukegan, IL. It's a bit of a drive but it's worth every minute of it. I have been to MANY yards (too many) with most not letting you in the yard to begin with, and the ones that do like the sh!thole known as Al's in Franklin is a suicide mission because of the way the yard is kept.....:flipoff2:

This place that I'm talking about has very decent prices (Wed. half off!), a very decent selection, every car is aligned to a grid allowing you to walk around like a grocery store, everything is only stacked one high, everything is sorted by makes, and all vehicles are up on steel wheels. You can ask my brother (Awsomeears) but I have been talking about opening a yard like this one for YEARS. It's such a huge positive change from the traditional parts yards it's not even funny. I don't know how long this company has been around but it's the first of it's kind in the area......

Here's the link ==> http://www.picknpull.com/default.aspx

I almost hate to tell people about it but it's really no secret, I just wish I had the money/resources to open one myself because I guarantee you that it would be a HUGE success.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
/\ I was down there last year some time. its really a great place. I was hoping to find some with some older cars. I know when i went to pick n pull last year i had my camera and they said can you go put that in the car we don't allow them in the yard.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
There are some old cars in this junkyard on HWY 20 & 43 in East Troy, looks like stuff from the 50's and up. The yard is very overgrown with saplings and large plants, goofy hours and probably all junk, never been there.

Never been to the pick and pull in Wadsworth but have always wanted to go down there, just no real need.
As for a camera's I keep that in the opposite pocket I plan to load with stuff from inside the yard. :loser

I mostly buy late model engines and transmission that come off a shelf at QRP junkyards that dont have anything older than 10 years old.
Jantz and Smart Parts are my 2 main sources for those items.

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 02:19 PM
i've been trying to figure out where in East Troy that Junkyard is for some time. No one seems to know of a real location on it. I live about 20 min from there and i have taken Hwy 20 from Lake Geneva all the way to east troy a few times with no luck of that Junkyard. I went through als last year and they didn't have too much really. I'm gonna try finding that place in east troy this year.

zerepdivad
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
There are some old cars in this junkyard on HWY 20 & 43 in East Troy, looks like stuff from the 50's and up. The yard is very overgrown with saplings and large plants, goofy hours and probably all junk, never been there.

That place in east troy sucks. i mean don't get me wrong they got some interesting cars but the guys are jackasses to you if you're not like a 40 yr old factory worker who drives a cracked out pickup and works long hours just to go spend it on booze.:alcoholic i don't plan on going to that place again any time soon.

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Where is it at?

zerepdivad
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Are you actually looking for something or do you just want to walk around? Because they won't just let you walk around alone at all. They're jackasses about it and want a worker to walk out with you...

DirtyMax
03-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but what's their big problem with cameras?

Car Guy - That Pick n' Pull place is a franchise so fine some land and get going... :thumbsup

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but what's their big problem with cameras?

Car Guy - That Pick n' Pull place is a franchise so fine some land and get going... :thumbsup

the guy at Pick N pull said i could use the pictures to come back at night and know where to go to steal parts. and i could take pics of parts and put them on the internet for sale then go back and get the parts and make money. that guy had some good ideas lol

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 03:36 PM
Are you actually looking for something or do you just want to walk around? Because they won't just let you walk around alone at all. They're jackasses about it and want a worker to walk out with you...

Thats fine i can talk to them. where is it located?

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

You need to have some serious $$$ (or know someone that does) to start up something like that. Not to mention the environmental BS that you have to go through this day in time. If it was 30 years ago it'd be a piece of cake, and I would have already opened one.....:thumbsup

the guy at Pick N pull said i could use the pictures to come back at night and know where to go to steal parts. and i could take pics of parts and put them on the internet for sale then go back and get the parts and make money. that guy had some good ideas lol

That is the BIGGEST load of BS that I've EVER heard. Who ever told you that needs to be kicked in the balls and punched in the back of the head, just ridiculous.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know how you got 'caught' because every time I've gone I just walk in with no ?'s asked. For all they know I could have a video camera.....:wooo

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 03:58 PM
You need to have some serious $$$ (or know someone that does) to start up something like that. Not to mention the environmental BS that you have to go through this day in time. If it was 30 years ago it'd be a piece of cake, and I would have already opened one.....:thumbsup

That is the BIGGEST load of BS that I've EVER heard. Who ever told you that needs to be kicked in the balls and punched in the back of the head, just ridiculous.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't know how you got 'caught' because every time I've gone I just walk in with no ?'s asked. For all they know I could have a video camera.....:wooo

i just had it in my pocket and when i grabbed the 2 bucks they charged me to get into the yard they said no cameras and i laughed and asked why, and thats what he said. Maybe it's cause i was younger?

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
i just had it in my pocket and when i grabbed the 2 bucks they charged me to get into the yard they said no cameras and i laughed and asked why, and thats what he said. Maybe it's cause i was younger?

Next time tell him to sit and spin on ===> :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
From 43 go west on 20 past the railroad tracks once you got out of town (maybe only 2 or 3 miles from 43) its on the left (south) side, you will see the old cars all overgrown with weeds and trees. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO MISS :)

I am a 30 year old factory worker who drives a cracked ? out truck who works 40hours and doesn't drink often. :D Never been to that junkyard but I dealt with those type of guys before and they are a joke, most likely that place in east troy has JUNK not any good usable parts, but I bet those guys think they are sitting on a pot of gold.
I bet their hours are "whenever we want or show up"

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-27-2008, 04:24 PM
$2 bucks to get into a junkyard ? LoL, heard er all now.

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 04:37 PM
$2 bucks to get into a junkyard ? LoL, heard er all now.

I'd pay $5 just to get in and walk around opposed to free anywhere else, like Al's in Franklin aka the deathyard.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Russ Jerome
03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Western Eagle Auto salvage.

59 west out of Eagle, North side of the road right in the
heart of the Kettle Morain State forest. They have a site
if you need a map. Any problems there or find something
specific PM me and I'll talk to the owner (dont write me
asking if they have XXXX as I only go there on social
visits and am rarely in the yard).

hotshift13
03-27-2008, 10:45 PM
AHHHH salvage yards, The one in east Troy is only open on Saturdays, If you are lucky. A great one to walk around in is Jacks Auto Ranch, Once it is there it stays. There is the one up in Fort McCoy, That one is just freakin HUGE, people come from all around just to walk around in it, It will take you all day to walk around in that one!! Then there is the abandoned one up by Wasau?(spelling)? That is filled with classic American steel 30's to the early 70's. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people on this site that knows about that one............................

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 10:47 PM
AHHHH salvage yards, The one in east Troy is only open on Saturdays, If you are lucky. A great one to walk around in is Jacks Auto Ranch, Once it is there it stays. There is the one up in Fort McCoy, That one is just freakin HUGE, people come from all around just to walk around in it, It will take you all day to walk around in that one!! Then there is the abandoned one up by Wasau?(spelling)? That is filled with classic American steel 30's to the early 70's. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the only people on this site that knows about that one............................

I heard that the guy running Jack's is a little bit of an oddball.....:durr

Where is this one up in Wausau...???

Flicktitty
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

i know of an abandoned one up north too but i thinks its about an hour or so south of Wasaua by Necedah where is Jacks Auto Ranch?

hotshift13
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
He is an odd ball, But if you are nice he seems to act more normal. The one up in Wausau? What are you talking about?

DirtyMax
03-27-2008, 11:06 PM
where is Jacks Auto Ranch?

Right off I94 between F (Sullivan) and 26 (Johnson Creek/Jefferson) IIRC...

hotshift13
03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
I 94 west to Sullivan exit, get off freeway, turn right,(gas station on the right)go up two intresections turn right on B or P, turn right , you will see signs for Jack's Auto Ranch, just follow the m and they will lead you right there.

03CVLX
03-28-2008, 09:41 AM
There used to be a huge yard out in Fredonia. Take Hwy 43 out to the Hwy 57 split then Left on Hwy A, the yard is on the right side of the road. Its probably been a good 5 years since I went out there though, I don't even know for sure if they still let you walk through the yard. They used to have tons of old cars though.

Car Guy
03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
There used to be a huge yard out in Fredonia. Take Hwy 43 out to the Hwy 57 split then Left on Hwy A, the yard is on the right side of the road. Its probably been a good 5 years since I went out there though, I don't even know for sure if they still let you walk through the yard. They used to have tons of old cars though.

That would be Kirchhayn and they USED to let you walk through, but not anymore. The last time I went up a few years ago he was telling me about the change and said it was because of insurance reasons. They had really good prices when it was 'self-serve' but now that it's a closed yard it just the same as all the others....:rolleyes:

As far as the older cars you are right, they had a HUGE selection of them from the 40's to current. However scrap prices started climbing and they decided that they were too picked over to justify hanging on to them, so they all went to the shredder......

PonyKiller87
03-28-2008, 10:59 AM

Wheres this HUGE one in Fort McCoy ? I was stationed up there for over a year and the only one I could find up there was a crappy little one that maybe had 50 cars?

lilws6
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
i believe i've been to the one in easy troy a while back was looking for some stuff and me and my buddy went there. looked like they lived in a trailer had a dog sitting out on a chain and some lady came out and asked if we knew what we wanted said we wanted to take a look around and she said you'll have to come back sat. for that. place looked like hell i think i was looking for an old 60's muscle shell at the time and gave up there lol

03CVLX
03-28-2008, 12:35 PM
That would be Kirchhayn and they USED to let you walk through, but not anymore. The last time I went up a few years ago he was telling me about the change and said it was because of insurance reasons. They had really good prices when it was 'self-serve' but now that it's a closed yard it just the same as all the others....:rolleyes:

As far as the older cars you are right, they had a HUGE selection of them from the 40's to current. However scrap prices started climbing and they decided that they were too picked over to justify hanging on to them, so they all went to the shredder......

Kirchayn, hmmm.. Maybe its been alot longer than 5 years since my last trip out there. I remember it being called Auto Parts & Recycling or something like that. Its a shame they got rid of all the old stuff, they used to have everything.

Car Guy
03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Kirchayn, hmmm.. Maybe its been alot longer than 5 years since my last trip out there. I remember it being called Auto Parts & Recycling or something like that. Its a shame they got rid of all the old stuff, they used to have everything.

I think you're right but I didn't go there then, Kirchhayn must have taken over and then slowly the changes took effect. They have a few other yards also.....

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Kirchhayn Auto Parts North is our newest site. Located just off of Hwy. 57 in Fredonia, Wisconsin, Kirchhayn Auto Parts North is Wisconsin's largest salvage yard with over 40 acres of wrecks ranging from 1940's to 2000

forcefedss
03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
i work w/ a guy who delivers cars for ALs in franklin. so let me know when you want to go or what you need.

also, the Eagle salvage yard a few years back had a 90 turbo supra. the sold me the motor for 200 bucks. i had someone tear it down and i think the odometer had roughly 75,xxx miles on it. the turbo was like brand new. i sold it to my old drivers ed teacher cuz he needed it for his supra. easiet money ive ever made

hotshift13
03-28-2008, 10:30 PM
What's the name of the one on 18 west just over the Jefferson county line? They of neat stuff, but they are smokin' rocks when they come up with prices. Got a Datsun 280 hatch up to the counter and they wanted 275.00 for it, as far as I know it is still there!