PDA

View Full Version : Holy Sludge batman!!

Brandon W.
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
this is messed up..ewww:eek:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=559336

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Changed his oil religiously my ass...

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Changed his oil religiously my ass...

:rolf :rolf :rolf

Well that's the first thing I said to myself, and why does he have to state that he's an engineer...??? I've seen numerous 'engineers' think they know it all when it comes to cars and they are clueless. It must be cool to say "I'm an engineer" proving that you're smart or something.....

Anywho back to the oil, something somewhere is NOT right there for sure. What exactly it is I don't know but I'd like to find out. On a side note, Mobil 1 is NOT a FULL synthetic oil so to me you can't call it that. Don't think the oil itself is the culprit but who knows.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Karps TA
03-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Engineers always have to preface their title, it's what makes them so damn special (read annoying).

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Engineers always have to preface their title, it's what makes them so damn special (read annoying).

REAL annoying...??? I agree, and the same goes for doctors, dentists, etc. Why does it matter what you do for a living...??? I'm not ASE certified in any way but know I could pass the basic tests with my eyes closed :wooo . BUT, if I was to get certified (which I need to do :chair: ) I wouldn't go around saying, "Hi, my name is ASE Certified Tech Justin Jancarik".....:rolleyes:

To me a prefix just sounds lame and is there to imply something like "I'm better than you". I'd just rather be known as my real name, but also someone that's really good at repairing automobiles.....

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Im quite certain this douche nozzle is one those fellows that feels he can run synthetics for a metric shit ton of miles in between changes.

Im sorry but no one drives in "perfect conditions" Its always been my personal prefrence to change synthetics @ 3k miles regardless.

Wrong viscosity, comined with a natruallly hot running engine, and poor change intervials causes that shit seen there.

The pic below is a briggs vangaurd V-twin that we ran for 25 hours straight with a load and with 5W30 conventional and purposely block cooling fins.

Shit is pretty much drive way sealer, and smells like burnt pop corn.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii173/LS1builder/SludgedVG.jpg

Slow Joe
03-26-2008, 02:24 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf

Well that's the first thing I said to myself, and why does he have to state that he's an engineer...??? I've seen numerous 'engineers' think they know it all when it comes to cars and they are clueless. It must be cool to say "I'm an engineer" proving that you're smart or something.....

Anywho back to the oil, something somewhere is NOT right there for sure. What exactly it is I don't know but I'd like to find out. On a side note, Mobil 1 is NOT a FULL synthetic oil so to me you can't call it that. Don't think the oil itself is the culprit but who knows.....

Mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic? What have you been smoking??

Mobil 1
If you want total engine protection, excellent fuel economy and a product recommended for applications under warranty, you want Mobil 1®. The world's leading synthetic motor oil, it features a proprietary
SuperSyn anti-wear technology that provides performance beyond conventional motor oils. Technology that allows Mobil 1 to exceed the toughest standards of Japanese, European and U.S. car builders -- and to provide exceptional protection against engine wear, under normal or even the most extreme conditions.

Copied from Mobiloil.com

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
REAL annoying...??? I agree, and the same goes for doctors, dentists, etc. Why does it matter what you do for a living...??? I'm not ASE certified in any way but know I could pass the basic tests with my eyes closed :wooo . BUT, if I was to get certified (which I need to do :chair: ) I wouldn't go around saying, "Hi, my name is ASE Certified Tech Justin Jancarik".....:rolleyes:

To me a prefix just sounds lame and is there to imply something like "I'm better than you". I'd just rather be known as my real name, but also someone that's really good at repairing automobiles.....

Thats because they are trying to save some dignity and baffle you with bullshit so you wont question their ability or in this case, maintenance ethics.

I know some "engineers" that basically were book smart enough to get through college but dont have the first ******* clue about engines... i mean total retards when it comes to it... And these guys we rely on designing a product to go into the hands of consumers... What a feeling!

GRNDNL
03-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm betting that thing got really hot for a long time.......

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Im quite certain this douche nozzle is one those fellows that feels he can run synthetics for a metric shit ton of miles in between changes.

Shit is pretty much drive way sealer, and smells like burnt pop corn.

Mmmmm, POPcorn.....:popcorn

Also, definition of metric sh!t ton please...???

As far as running synthetic oil I will agree with you if it pertains to a vehicle that's run hard, operates in very harsh conditions, or is not up to snuff mechanically. I have seen many vehicles go 20k+ on real synthetic oil with NO issues what so ever, but they are daily drivers that are on the highway 90% of the time and are in top notch condition.....

If you want to be safer than sorry I say change it as often as you feel necessary, but every situation is different.....

Slow Joe
03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Hrmm come to think of it, I might just pull the oil pan off the Saab to make sure it didn't start to sludge up... I know the models prior to ours did... And there aren't any known issues yet, but ours is gettin some miles so I think I'll check...

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Looks like a 3 Litre toyota engine..........

Karps TA
03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm laughing here at the fact that this not only happened to an engineer, but to a BMW driving engineer. If you knew the guy I worked with, you would find this very fitting.

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Metric shit ton is a slang for excessive amount.

It will always be my posistion that its a balzy move to ever go over 3k miles with any kind of oil. To each their own... Its easier to change oil, than engines on most cars. 90% of the people that elect to run synthetic still fall under the severe opperating conditions umbrella.

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm laughing here at the fact that this not only happened to an engineer, but to a BMW driving engineer. If you knew the guy I worked with, you would find this very fitting.

:rolf:rolf MUAHAHAHAHAHAH i know EXACTLY who you are talking about!

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Mobil 1 isn't fully synthetic? What have you been smoking??

The really good sh!t...!!! But seriously, the definition of synthetic has become VERY cloudy is the past few years. To make a 'true' synthetic you have to start of will a FULL synthetic base, which Mobil 1 doesn't regardless of what their billion dollar marketing says.....

If you are asking why would they do this...??? One word ===> $$$, because less money spent to make it means more $$$ in their pockets. The real difference is minimal but there IS a difference. To me it's BS that they can do this and still call it a FULL synthetic, when in reality it's not but if you were a multi-billion $$$ company you'd be able to get away with sh!t like that too.....:thumbsup

Karps TA
03-26-2008, 02:43 PM
I thought you might.

this same person did an oil change on his girlfriends car, and since crawling under the car is such a PITA to him he bought some tool that sucks the oil out of the engine thru the dipstick tube. However the hose end that went into the dipstick tube got stuck in the oil pan and he ended up having to remove the oil pan then to get the piece out. All because as an engineer he knows the best way of doing everything.

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 02:48 PM
I thought you might.

this same person did an oil change on his girlfriends car, and since crawling under the car is such a PITA to him he bought some tool that sucks the oil out of the engine thru the dipstick tube. However the hose end that went into the dipstick tube got stuck in the oil pan and he ended up having to remove the oil pan then to get the piece out. All because as an engineer he knows the best way of doing everything.

Oh that sounds like a good one :rolleyes: , and I don't know this person but I can only imagine what he's like.....

You bring up something that I've been curious about for some time now. What is the deal with sucking out the oil via the dipstick...??? I know it can't be because crawling under the car is THAT hard to do, must be some other 'reason' that an engineer has come up with.....

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Car guy, the concept of the oil evactuation is basically for "lazy people" much like synthetic oil becomes known in the engine world for said lazy people. They dont care about its properties that protect the engine, but "how long can i run this shit" becomes the most important thing to them. Mostly lazy or "cost concious".

So the punchline is some smart average joe type capitalized on this theory and made a million im sure selling those things to lazy ****s everywhere, including the guy me and Karp work with.

GTSLOW
03-26-2008, 02:57 PM
So he changed his oil every 9,300 miles?

GTSLOW
03-26-2008, 02:59 PM
P.S. Tom the new sig pic looks SICK! :thumbsup :drool:

SmokinRAM114
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
must be the car mobile 1 beat out the conventional oils with on there dyno run commercials because the compitition got smoked...:rolleyes:

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
must be the car mobile 1 beat out the conventional oils with on there dyno run commercials because the compitition got smoked...:rolleyes:

lol that was castrol syntec... Just wait, some engineer somwhere will have their benz S class cook up a batch of asphalt in the mill on that stuff too we'll hear about :rolf

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Car guy, the concept of the oil evactuation is basically for "lazy people" much like synthetic oil becomes known in the engine world for said lazy people. They dont care about its properties that protect the engine, but "how long can i run this shit" becomes the most important thing to them. Mostly lazy or "cost concious".

So the punchline is some smart average joe type capitalized on this theory and made a million im sure selling those things to lazy ****s everywhere, including the guy me and Karp work with.

I've heard that the oil evacuation system is being used at high end dealerships like BMW, Benz, Porsche, etc. If that's true (along with what you said) what's the deal with that...??? I thought that high end European dealership are the 'leader' in the automotive world.....:eek:

As far as synthetic oil is concerned, you truly believe that people run synthetic ONLY because the manufacturer tells you that it's OK to go longer and NOT because it protects better...??? I don't necessarily believe the 'lazy' theory because I've seen things with my own eyes that would prove different when it comes to synthetic oils whed used properly in proper situations.....

Karps TA
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I would agree that most non-car people only switch to synthetic to lower their service intervals and for no other reason.

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Im stating that its pretty much a fact that most people run synthetics to get out of changing the shit as much. Cars are like appliances to most people, the only thing that gets worse service is small engines (thats where i come in) for lack of service.

Small percentages actually care about the better quailty and protection and are concerned with "treating ole bessy to a splash of the good stuff once in a while".

This said asshole on the bimmer forum is one those types that likes cars but dont actually know shit about them and took someones word along the way that the synthetics are inpervious to breaking down and sludging. im sure he will be sueing the pimple faced kid behind the counter @ autozone that sold him the 6 quarts of 10W40 mobil 1. and fram filter.

european dealerships probably just mastered the art of being able to charge the customer more for something that takes them 10 min to do... this is nothing new, it is america afterall...

CannotPost
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I used to change the OIL (Mobile 1 ) in my GTP via the % left meter.... On average about every 6500 miles. Somtimes even 8000!!! I put about 80k miles over a few years doing it like that. When I took the heads off there was no sludge also the oil pan showed no evidence of sludge. :confused

3000 miles is too soon, Big oil wants you to think you are doing the right thing!

I go 3-5 on my S4 and have a couple of "Black Stone reports" that said the oil was still good @ 5000 miles.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Im stating that its pretty much a fact that most people run synthetics to get out of changing the shit as much. Cars are like appliances to most people, the only thing that gets worse service is small engines (thats where i come in) for lack of service.

Small percentages actually care about the better quailty and protection and are concerned with "treating ole bessy to a splash of the good stuff once in a while".

This said asshole on the bimmer forum is one those types that likes cars but dont actually know shit about them and took someones word along the way that the synthetics are inpervious to breaking down and sludging. im sure he will be sueing the pimple faced kid behind the counter @ autozone that sold him the 6 quarts of 10W40 mobil 1. and fram filter.

european dealerships probably just mastered the art of being able to charge the customer more for something that takes them 10 min to do... this is nothing new, it is america afterall...

So do you believe that synthetic IS superior oil, but just not to where you can run it to 25k miles between changes...??? I'm not trying to get in an argument with you by any means I'm just curious as to what you believe. I am the type of person that comes to conclusions from hard facts and evidence, the 'scientific' approach if you want to call it that.....

I'm always very curious as to what other people think and why, can't ever get too much information on something if you ask me.....

Slow Joe
03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I've done intervals of 5k with Mobil 1 in my cars for years now with no issues...

:rolf Then again, the only one I had long enough with Mobil 1 was my '01 Mustang, but when I got rid of it at 85k it was still fine...

When we got our Corolla, Toyota recomended (per the manual) oil changes every 5k with NON SYNTHETIC oil... I couldn't do that to the car so I was puttin Partial Synthetic in...

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 03:50 PM
I've done intervals of 5k with Mobil 1 in my cars for years now with no issues...

:rolf Then again, the only one I had long enough with Mobil 1 was my '01 Mustang, but when I got rid of it at 85k it was still fine...

When we got our Corolla, Toyota recomended (per the manual) oil changes every 5k with NON SYNTHETIC oil... I couldn't do that to the car so I was puttin Partial Synthetic in...

Under easy operating conditions 5k on 'regular' oil is just fine, and I've seen analysis reports to back it up. Anything above and beyond that many miles/easy driving conditions you'd be pushing it....

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
So do you believe that synthetic IS superior oil, but just not to where you can run it to 25k miles between changes...???

Yes, exactly.

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Yes, exactly.

Gotcha, what mileage do you synthetic is good to then...??? I only ask because my father has a `02 Subaru Outback which is on it's 4th 'round' of 25k mile oil changes using Amsoil 5w-30 WITH the correct filter, something MANY people fail to do. The next time I change it @ 150k I will be taking a sample and sending it in to have it analyzed.....

Very curious to the results and I'll be sure to post them up.....

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Gotcha, what mileage do you synthetic is good to then...??? I only ask because my father has a `02 Subaru Outback which is on it's 4th 'round' of 25k mile oil changes using Amsoil 5w-30 WITH the correct filter, something MANY people fail to do. The next time I change it @ 150k I will be taking a sample and sending it in to have it analyzed.....

Very curious to the results and I'll be sure to post them up.....

My monte i run mobil 1 in and change it out @3-3500 or 50% oil life remaining, which ever comes first.

The truck gets it every 3k cuz i just use dino oil in it.

The camaro, every 1K with mobil delvac 15/40, just cause im trying everything i can to keep the ticking time bomb of a motor together as long as possible.

Car Guy
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
My monte i run mobil 1 in and change it out @3-3500 or 50% oil life remaining, which ever comes first.

The truck gets it every 3k cuz i just use dino oil in it.

The camaro, every 1K with mobil delvac 15/40, just cause im trying everything i can to keep the ticking time bomb of a motor together as long as possible.

In the monte do you use the '15k' Mobil 1...???

BAD LS1
03-26-2008, 04:28 PM
In the monte do you use the '15k' Mobil 1...???

No straight up basic blue cap 5W30

Slow Joe
03-26-2008, 04:31 PM
No straight up basic blue cap 5W30

Same stuff I put in the Saab, I change every 5k since Kristie does 90% freeway driving between here and IL for work... At 5k I end up changing it about once a month...

CannotPost
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
cause im trying everything i can to keep the ticking time bomb of a motor together as long as possible.

:banana1: Best quote evar!

lordairgtar
03-26-2008, 05:13 PM
The guy with the Bimmer lives in Chihuahua, Mexico, so I would assume this moron did not take into account the hot climate as well. That can play havoc with the best oils. Plus it is dusty driving conditions there as well. Lasty time I saw sludge like that was in my old 67 Mercury Comet Capri 289 V8. Someone gave me this car and I for some reason wanted to put a tri-carb manifold on it and when I removed the old manifold, it looked like someone paved it with asphalt in there. It was a wonder it ran.

awsomeears
03-26-2008, 08:29 PM

I agree !!!

I was talking to a Engineer because he called my uncle about furnace questions, he then called me and I told him what was wrong. He said " No no thats not it I'm a electrical engineer " :eek::eek::eek::eek:

After a few minutes I acted like a female ***** and said " Yea I told you what was up so I'm done running in circles "

:rolf

Voodoo Chick
03-27-2008, 12:49 AM
wow.....that just looked gruesome.......

Z28Roxy
03-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Think seafoam would clean it up?

Yooformula
03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
that shit doesnt surprise me. the dealer my dad takes his bmw to WONT change his oil earlier than the manufacturer recommendation which is like 15-20k miles or some obscene shit. I made him go to an oil change place when he came to visit because I nagged him so bad about it but even then, they could reset his oil light. They allegedly warranty the engine for long ass time so he wasnt worried about it but I could never let a motor go that long, I dont give a shit what it says on the label about how long it SHOULD last.

forest
03-27-2008, 08:53 AM
In the oil debate. I have tested a few different oils in a Timken bearing tester while at an unmentionable speed shop in our area. results were as follows. the testing was done with myself operating the machine and sanding the surface of the bearing with emery cloth btween oils for fair results. Mobil 1 oil "full" synthetic. actually is only about 5% percent synthetic blend as mandated by gov. caused bearing to sieze with VERY light pressure, suprizingly so cause I used to swear by that stuff. Royal purple was next, MUCH harder to sieze the bearing but still possible. Scheaffers oil, 25% blend synthetic, was leaning on the pressure bar so hard my entire body wieght was on it with my feet off the ground and the machine was coming off the bench, would not seize for a long time but eventually did. Amsoil was next, took more pressure than royal purple, but faster than Scheaffers oil. regular oil would sieze by me resting my hand on the test bar. all 10w-40 oil DO NOT RUN MOBIL1 OIL EVER!!!! it is garbage that is sickly over priced, get amsoil, schaeffers, or royal purple, the protection you will gain vs the dollar spent is incredible. Just my 2cents.

Yooformula
03-27-2008, 09:05 AM
interesting....where to find amsoil now!

forest
03-27-2008, 09:30 AM
interesting....where to find amsoil now!

we are gonna be set up as Amsoil dealer but Schaeffers is better, just their cust. service sucks.

juicedimpss
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
we are gonna be set up as Amsoil dealer but Schaeffers is better, just their cust. service sucks.

and amsoils pricing structure sucks ballz

im a dealer for them,they flooded the market with dealer accounts and made it next to impossible to make any money off their product.
i can order the stuff,but there is no way i would stock it.

forest
03-27-2008, 10:22 AM
same here, I just am gonna use it more for in house stuff, but if somone needs somthing I can order it for them, thats about it, never gonna get rich selling it....

Yooformula
03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
so what viscosity of Schaeffers would you recommend? and how much is a qrt? and is this 100% synthetic?

Breecher_7
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I run Amsoil 5-40 Syn in my diesel. With a few calls ive managed to find someone on this board that can get it cheap as well as got in contact with an actual distributor out of Butler. Im paying roughly $22 a gallon for it and they guarantee it for 25K miles or 1 year whatever comes first as long as you run there Amsoil specific filters.

I friend of mine sent in a test sample at 20K miles out of his diesel and it still came back more then fine to run. There stuff is amazing.

I will soon be switching over to there Syn severe gear, gear oil in my front and rear axles as well as there Allison approved trans oil wich is holding up better then Allisons own Transynd brand.

I will never go back to any other oil.

But being the wacko i am about oil changes, i will probably still do it when the trucks oil life gets to zero so around 7-10K miles.

forest
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
so what viscosity of Schaeffers would you recommend? and how much is a qrt? and is this 100% synthetic?

one quart is about 3.50-4.00 each, I run 10w30 in LS series on the street, and heres the best part, its only 26% synthetic!!! and they tell you so! it still DOMINATED all the oils I tested that claimed to be full

wrath
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I use the oil until it either smells like gas or is physically dirty. In my old blue truck that was between 700-2000 miles. In my Silverado that was about 2500 miles. In my mud truck that was about 120 miles. In my G6 it's about 4000 miles.

Most any API oil will lubricate fine.

The hard part is finding one that holds up to heat. Dinosaur oil doesn't hold up to heat very well. 10 minutes of most oil in our old sandrail and it was black. Took about 15 minutes with Castrol GTX. Synthetic never really turned black.

I've always been a fan of Castrol Syntec and Royal Purple. I like Redline but it's hard to find. I do periodically use Mobil 1 (because it's the cheapest Synthetic) and their filters but maybe I'll change now.

Slow Joe
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Ok, so who can I buy a truckload of AMSOil or Schaeffers from?? :rolf

I'd need: 0W40 (or 0W30) and 5W20

0W40 or 0W30 I'd need 7qts/mo (Saab)
5W20 I'd need 7qts two times/year (Stang)

Z28Roxy
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
German Castrol Syntec ftw :thumbsup

T-Bag
03-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I run Amsoil 5-40 Syn in my diesel. With a few calls ive managed to find someone on this board that can get it cheap as well as got in contact with an actual distributor out of Butler. Im paying roughly $22 a gallon for it and they guarantee it for 25K miles or 1 year whatever comes first as long as you run there Amsoil specific filters.

I friend of mine sent in a test sample at 20K miles out of his diesel and it still came back more then fine to run. There stuff is amazing.

I will soon be switching over to there Syn severe gear, gear oil in my front and rear axles as well as there Allison approved trans oil wich is holding up better then Allisons own Transynd brand.

I will never go back to any other oil.

But being the wacko i am about oil changes, i will probably still do it when the trucks oil life gets to zero so around 7-10K miles.

Which Distributor are you speaking of? I know NAPA in Butler is one

BoosTT
03-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I've been hearing a lot about Castrol Syntec also. I think that I am going to switch to it.

Car Guy
03-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Well I've been a HUGE fan of AMSoil for some time now and haven't seen anything to sway my views otherwise. To me it's a no brainier as it's easily some of the best oil available, if not the best and that's not just because someone told me so. I've seen tests with my own eyes and 'real world' test results from very knowledgeable people, on top of many of my own personal experiences.....

Also, it's a somewhat local company that's not jamming billions of dollars of advertising down your throat non-stop telling you it's 'the best'. The only reason it's currently as popular as it is because of word of mouth advertising/referrals. To me that is the best possible way to get a good product out there and weeds out all of the phonies.....

hrsp
03-27-2008, 11:28 PM
damn...learn new shit daily..