PDA

View Full Version : We she finally gave up the ghost......

Yooformula
10-04-2003, 05:12 PM
After doing some apperance mods(caliper emblems, polished rear panel filler and cloth decals on headrests) today I started my car only to find chocolate milk in my pcv catch can. It would fill up the catch can within minutes but nothing in the crankcase. Well after letting it run for a bit I finally saw it in the crankcase as well. Looks like a blown headgasket. Probably from the monkeys at the dealer that installed this motor only 43,000 miles ago!!!!! or from the broken rocker arm last year either way I am farked:fire

BLUTO
10-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Dont rule out a cracked head:( Or block:stare Maybe you got real lucky and its just an intake gasket-small chance in hell:fire

I know of another Bird w/similar problem. Happened a couple days ago racing me-He's on this board too.:(

Prince Valiant
10-04-2003, 06:37 PM
Ouch! sorry to hear that bud.

JohnnyT
10-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Yoo. Although I believe I told you a few months back that the car was smoking, and it looked like a head gasket, you blew me off then. Maybe next time you will listen to me...

Cryptic
10-04-2003, 10:48 PM
damn :(

y2kws6
10-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear that Yoosof. Hopefully you can be back on the road soon.

Dan

Yooformula
10-05-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by 2KSS-4027
Sorry to hear that Yoo. Although I believe I told you a few months back that the car was smoking, and it looked like a head gasket, you blew me off then. Maybe next time you will listen to me...

I didnt blow you off bud. I was praying that it was something else because I didnt have the time nor money to deal with it then. At least I got through to the start of winter I guess:confused

JohnnyT
10-05-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Yooformula
I didnt blow you off bud. I was praying that it was something else because I didnt have the time nor money to deal with it then. At least I got through to the start of winter I guess:confused

I hear ya there...

Larry99T/A
10-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your car Yoosof, I was really hoping you and your car would be up at RA in a few weeks.

BAD LS1
10-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Its the cold weather!!! my car does the same exact thing with the catch can and after driving for a while it evaps from that catch can. I think its just the condesnation from cool air, its just not common for an LS1 to loose a head gasket plus you had some really ill running effects if that was the case, and not to metnion hydraulic locking if was leaking that much to fill up that catch can.
I even get teh white gew on hte undersaide of the fill cap till it gets good and hot. I dont think you havea problem there

Tom B

Yooformula
10-06-2003, 03:44 PM
No this is beyond just condensation. It fills the canister within minutes. The heads were replaced when the dealer isntalled the new motor so a gasket could have easily let go. In addition I have been dumping white smoke from the tailpipes for awhile now.

BAD LS1
10-06-2003, 04:31 PM
I dont know... i guess id hate to see you go through all that work for nothing. A leak down test or cooling system pressuriser will be able to pick a leak off. Yeah then again it could fill it up quickly mine had choclate milk in it when i went to the track and was all gone by the end of the night. You arent runninga PCV valve either which works as a dam too. I would so some more trouble shooting instead of assuming on this one. Just trying to save you bunch of time and cash.

Tom B

Crawlin
10-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
A leak down test or cooling system pressuriser will be able to pick a leak off.

:wstupid :goof

I told you that on the phone on Sat.:) but i understand your concerns with everything :)

Yooformula
10-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Agreed, I am looking for one as I type. I had planned on pulling the heads this week while I had the time but I would really rather not so we'll see.:confused