PDA

View Full Version : Who runs in here ?

awsomeears
03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Well I went out and purchased my 1st ever pair of nice New Balance running shoes, my buddy that runs told me to get some. Holly hell are these light and comfortable :thumbsup

The whole running thing sparked into my head when I was running to a bar instead of driving :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf the bar is 5 blocks away.

After running it hurt a little bit but I felt great after I caught my breath, I also ran back home :thumbsup That night I slept better and woke up feeling better.

Hell if thats the case I thought to myself " Why not get into running " I live in Cudahy so I'm close to the lake and the sweet ass park trails and such.

So for those runners out there what do you recommend for a Newbie ?

Stretching
Water
What kind of pace
Breath pattern
1st week xxx miles
2nd week xxx miles ?

I know there is a massive amount of info if I were to google it but ill try here :thumbsup

slickwilly
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Always stretch. Always. You should do a little warm-up to get your muscles warm (ie: ten minutes of walking or easy jogging) and stretch. Then after your run, make sure to cool down (ie: ten minutes of walking) and stretch again. If you don't, you'll tighten up so bad after a few days of running. I hate stretching, but when I actually do it, I feel ten times better.

I don't generally consume a lot of water while I run, but I do afterwards.

Go at whatever pace is comfortable for you, but you'll get the best cardio (prevention of heart disease) if you're in or above a specific heart rate zone. There's a formula for figuring out your zone based on age, but just know that if you don't feel like you're working hard, you're not.

Breathe however you want.

Set goals for yourself. It doesn't matter how many miles you cover or how quickly you cover them. Just set a goal like, "I want to go four miles in 30 minutes" and then start working towards it.

But most importantly: Don't dive in too quickly, just take it easy.

05caddyext
03-21-2008, 08:38 PM
The whole running thing sparked into my head when I was running to a bar instead of driving the bar is 5 blocks away.

What is your goal? Because that's not going to help haha.

Anyways, all your questions are something you need to figure out naturally. Breath pattern will come on its own. At first you want to breath long and deep, it helps to expand your lungs. After that you want to take a breath about every 3-4 steps. How far you run is also up for debate. If you just want to do it for fun 1-2 miles a 3-4 times a week is good.

awsomeears
03-21-2008, 09:36 PM
What is your goal? Because that's not going to help haha.

I agree but I will never stop having a drink here and there, I eat well and don't smoke or do drugs so I'm ahead of the game :thumbsup

Thanks for the info so far guys :thumbsup

HP ADDICT
03-21-2008, 10:23 PM
220-your age=theoretical max HR. 65% for fat loss 80% for cardio. Intervals work the best.

JC70SS
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
STRETCH! I am 6'2" and never used to stretch. I would run for 2 months and then have 2 months injury. A good routine to start is run for 2 min at a decent pace then walk 30 secs. Try after a while running 3 min and walk 30 secs.

Also do intervals!! DO a 10 min jog then cool down, then run above your comfort zone almost at a sprint for 1-2 min then walk 1 min. Repeat til you drop.

SlowMotion
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
The 220-current age= HR max is a good equation to help figure out where to start. Here is a detailed list to help you figure out where you would want to train.

Heart Rate Training Zones
Zone 1 < 65% of HRMAX, (recovery runs)
Zone 2 65-72% of HRMAX, (long runs)
Zone 3 73-83% of HRMAX, (aerobic capacity)
Zone 4 84-90% of HRMAX, (lactate threshold;
race pace effort)
Zone 5 91-100% of HRMAX, (speed work;
anaerobic training)

As far as mileage, as people have stated already. Set goals, both short-term and long-term for yourself. My best advice would be to run on one day and cross train on an elliptical/bike, to give your joints a rest. Repeated jarring and pounding on your knees, hips and ankles with running, can cause long term problems. Also, starting out with a proper running shoe is a great place to start. Going to a shoe store like Instep (www.runinstep.com) they will measure your gait, (how you run/walk), what type of shoe will be perfect for your foot and running style, as well as give you tips and ideas about how many miles to do. If you are planning on doing any events, 5k, half marathon, marathon, duathalon, triathalon, even Ironman, they will have coaching tips to help you get in the mileage you would need. Best of luck to you, and happy running :thumbsup

Tim Mikluance
ACE Certified PT