PDA

View Full Version : New Challenger powertrains and colors announced!

Moparjim
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Dodge Challenger Makes Long-Awaited Debut

The long-anticipated ’09 Dodge Challenger makes its debut at the New York auto show.

The muscle car will come available in three models: the SE, R/T, and the high-performance SRT8, revealed at last month’s Chicago auto show as an ’08.

The base SE will be powered by a 3.5L SOHC V-6 that produces 250 hp and 250 lb.-ft. (339 Nm) of torque and is mated to a 4-speed automatic transmission. Chrysler says the SE is rated at a thrifty 18/25 mpg (13.0-9.4 L/100 km).

The R/T boasts a 5.7L Hemi V-8 that cranks out 370 hp and 398 lb.-ft. (540 Nm) of torque. It can be equipped with either a 5-speed automatic transmission or an optional 6-speed manual.

The top-level 524-hp SRT8 boasts a 6.1L Hemi V-8 underhood that churns out 420 lb.-ft. (310 Nm). The SRT8 comes available with the same transmission choices offered on the R/T model.

“Offering a manual transmission on our all-new ’09 Dodge Challenger was a must,” says Larry Lyons, vice president-car and minivan product team. “Borrowing (the) Dodge Viper SRT10 manual transmission technology, our engineers were able to develop a six-speed manual that meets fuel economy and performance targets for Challenger’s weight class.”

Chrysler LLC says the new Challenger features modern styling with “elements of vintage flair inspired by the original.”

“We drew upon recognizable details from our original Dodge Challenger and incorporated them into the ’09 model,” Jeff Gale, lead exterior designer for Challenger, says in a statement.

One of the most identifiable design elements from the original Challenger is the cast metal fuel door on the driver’s side of the R/T and SRT8 models. It is stamped with the word “FUEL” in the identical font used 35 years ago.

Exterior design cues that reference the past include a crease along the C-pillar and around the rear glass, a 3-piece taillamp design and dual-chromed rectangular exhaust tips on the R/T and SRT8 models.

Inside, the Challenger features a dark headliner, slanted shifter console and a trapezoidal theme on the door-panel cove and gauge cluster – all cues made famous by the original model.

“Our designers wanted to capture the mind’s-eye view of what people today remember about the Dodge Challenger from 35 years ago,” says Trevor Creed, senior vice president-design. “Their challenge was to excite today’s consumer by capturing the emotion of the original Challenger, while offering today’s comfort and performance.”

Chrysler says analysis shows the Challenger primarily will appeal to two groups – Gen Xers looking for “a vehicle that is affordable, but stands out in a crowd,” and Baby Boomers who have “the financial freedom and income to spend on fulfilling discretionary vehicle purchases.”

The Challenger will be offered in nine colors, including TorRed, Deep Water Blue, Titanium, Stone White, Hemi Orange (R/T only) and B5 Blue (late availability on SRT8 and R/T only).

The Challenger will be assembled at Chrysler’s Brampton assembly plant near Toronto, ON, Canada, alongside the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

The Challenger SE, R/T and SRT8 models will be available in North America this fall, while a special-edition Classic R/T will hit dealerships late in the ’09 model year.

All I can say is 524HP SRT-8 OH MY!

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow... How'd they up the horsepower so much without getting assloads more torque out of the 6.1? And I wonder if the trans is a T56 or a T606.

jbiscuit
03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
now they just need to bring back a Sport Fury or a Coronet!

DRK
03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow... How'd they up the horsepower so much without getting assloads more torque out of the 6.1?

RPM

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 11:52 AM
RPM
The current 6.1 already has a higher rev limit than the 5.7, how much higher can they take it without re-engineering it/breaking shit?

Karps TA
03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Boing!

I'd be damn happy with the R/T version myself. Hopefully it'll be priced decent.

Mr Twigbert
03-19-2008, 12:50 PM
524! Not to shabby IMO.. Wonder what the price tag will be..

Syclone0044
03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
All I can say is 524HP SRT-8 OH MY! Hell yeah!! :headbang

Wow... How'd they up the horsepower so much without getting assloads more torque out of the 6.1? Good catch.

I am very skeptical of their 420 lb-ft of torque on a 524 HP motor. I highly doubt they are spinning it to a high enough RPM for the math to validate it. I have seen plenty of instances where factories produce laughably low torque ratings for their high torque performance engines. It might have to do with weak drivetrains. I think that was the case on the Syclone/Typhoon, because GM rated them at "360 LB-FT" ;) ;) but anyone who put theirs on a chassis dyno got that to the rear wheels after the combined drivetrain loss of an auto transmission and transfer case! Same thing for my Turbo Grand Prix.

Breecher_7
03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
PLease tell me that 524hp is not a misprint? Im under the impression there will be a limited run for 08? Then full production run for 09?

Ill be waiting till next year.....

Karps TA
03-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes the 08 run is limited. They actually expanded it because they had so many presales of the 08's. I think they wanted a smaller run then what they are doing.

What's hialrious is all the fools who are paying $10K over sticker just to have an 08 when the 09 is already way better. The rush to overpay for something new, just to say you got one is one of those things I'll never understand.

Prince Valiant
03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Wow... How'd they up the horsepower so much without getting assloads more torque out of the 6.1? Simple answer is torque is a function of displacement...without upping the displacement significantly you won't get too much more torque...

...however, in this case, I agree with josh...it's either a misprint, or underreported. At 420ft-lbs, this indicates that the engine is only producing ~1.13 ft-lbs of torque/ci...a good figure, sure, but low for such a high specific output engine. I'd estimate an engine like this puts out ~ 1.25ft-lbs of torque per cube, meaning it'd make ~ 460ft-lbs.

What is not mentioned is the likelyhood of variable valve timing as on the '09 trucks...hence it should be able to produce a good, wide powerband, and rev up to around 6500rpm-6700rpm to produce that kind of power.

It's not unreasonable for a 370ci engine to produce that kind of power...even the cheap cast cranks on the 360's, that use the same length stroke, were fine up to 7000rpm...

But even the old 6.1's were "underrated", many a chasis dyno's would put the HP at the flywheel's at around ~450 or so once driveline losses were figured...but 425 is what the old was rated, so it was a "neat" number to use.

Better start working on the fiancee now to let me by an R/T 6 speed :drool:

Prince Valiant
03-19-2008, 02:10 PM
BTW...I'd put this up against a 2024 Camaro ANY day!

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5162&stc=1&d=1205953763
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Not too shabby an interior:

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5163&stc=1&d=1205953763

Great car Mopar :thumbsup

MyWhiteZ
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
u sure that hp isnt backwards, 425hp is the # they have been saying all along.

Breecher_7
03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
425hp is the current rating for the 6.1 in the SRT8 charger I believe. 524 sounds mighty nice though!!!

Prince Valiant
03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
u sure that hp isnt backwards, 425hp is the # they have been saying all along.It could be...we had been hearing a 500+hp for the 392 IF they come out with that...but I've heard no word on it. Plus, with the R/T going with to 370, it might not be worth it for people to pay an extra 10G for only 50hp...especially (even though it's not true) companies will claim 30hp from an intake and 15hp from a TB spacer...

...so it's likely there will be a larger HP jump than what's there.

STANMAN
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Where is the Sublime Lime color option? With black billboards please! (or an AAR, as there is no Plymouth anymore and I liked it better than the T/A, type layout would be nice, or hell, even the hockey stick stripe I just want LIME damnit!!!!)

PureSound15
03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
I thought I had myself talked out of buying one of these... but those numbers are awesome:drool:

GRAMPS SS
03-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Where is the Sublime Lime color option? With black billboards please! (or an AAR, as there is no Plymouth anymore and I liked it better than the T/A, type layout would be nice, or hell, even the hockey stick stripe I just want LIME damnit!!!!)

AAR would be nice.....turning the challenger into a T/A would be nice for them to do as well.....BILLBOARDS were on the CUDA ONLY.......they went from the middle of the door to just past the rear fender marker light....they said 318...340...383...440...and the best one..said HEMI.....

almost forgot bob...i believe the HOCKEY STRIPE was also only on the CUDA as well....

Brandon W.
03-19-2008, 06:58 PM
anything over 500Hp on a stock factory car is amazing...i better start saving..

Karps TA
03-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I am thinking the 524 was a misprint cause other articles I am seeing say 425

STANMAN
03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
AAR would be nice.....turning the challenger into a T/A would be nice for them to do as well.....BILLBOARDS were on the CUDA ONLY.......they went from the middle of the door to just past the rear fender marker light....they said 318...340...383...440...and the best one..said HEMI.....

almost forgot bob...i believe the HOCKEY STRIPE was also only on the CUDA as well....

That's just it, I don't want them doing a T/A version, the AAR was WAY better looking, lol!!! And yeah, the billboard and hockey stick were Plymouth as well. I say they make a Chysler Cuda as a stablemate to the Challenger!!

07ROUSHSTG3
03-19-2008, 07:43 PM
did i read that the manual tranny is available?!?! that is sweet!

my buddy is planning on buying one as soon as i can find him one. problem is....he wants an automatic, WTF?!!?

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 08:18 PM
That's just it, I don't want them doing a T/A version, the AAR was WAY better looking, lol!!! And yeah, the billboard and hockey stick were Plymouth as well. I say they make a Chysler Cuda as a stablemate to the Challenger!!
Somewhere I saw a photoshop of the Challenger concept done up like a 'Cuda with the cheese grater grill and AAR badges. In Lime Green, of course. ****, it was sexy.

whistlin six
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
That car is simply BAD ASS...
I want one.

88Nightmare
03-19-2008, 11:46 PM
wow, dodge finally offers a late model sports car with a manual transmission. did hell freeze over?

I wonder how many sales they missed out on with the charger for lack of a manual trans?