PDA

View Full Version : If you could get out of Social Security......

USMARINE1108
03-19-2008, 07:17 AM
.....would you? I would in a hearbeat (I'm 27) and put my money elsewhere.

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Damn right.

Prince Valiant
03-19-2008, 08:03 AM
absolutely...

...I have read and heard about people who have. They even received most the money they've put it in too...

If I knew how it was done, it'd be done.

nitrous
03-19-2008, 08:40 AM
Convert religions.

juicedimpss
03-19-2008, 08:42 AM
absolutely...

...I have read and heard about people who have. They even received most the money they've put it in too...

If I knew how it was done, it'd be done.

that sounds like something worth researching

USMARINE1108
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I've heard of people with federal jobs beign able to get out of it since there is a retirement plan already in place. It's something I've been meaning to look into, but havent gotten around to yet. I'm not sure if it's true or not.

PonyKiller87
03-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm going to say yes but probably not for the same reason most do. Everyone is so convinced that social security is going to crash and burn and you won't get any money... That won't happen, one way or another the gov will pump more money into it just to keep it going. Hopefully at some point they finaly pull thier heads out of thier asses and change the way its done so they can actualy make money.

I would get out of it just because I think I can do alot better by putting it into my 401K, over the last 3 years I'm averaging a 12% return(I was around 18% but took a pretty big hit in the last quarter), and all I do is check it once a month and shift things around as needed depending on where things are going. Its not to tough and I'm by no means an investment expert.

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
one way or another the gov will pump more money into it just to keep it going.

Yeah we'll just borrow more money from China. :rolf

Karps TA
03-19-2008, 09:00 AM
If you have a federal job you'd don't get social security cause you don't pay into it. You get a pension instead.

Mr Twigbert
03-19-2008, 10:20 AM
This is a no brainer.. Just look at the poll results..

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
This is a no brainer.. Just look at the poll results..
Well yeah and that's the scary part, it doesn't matter whether or not the system really will fail. Nobody has any faith in it and given the choice, Americans would bail out on it immediately. It has gotten to the point that we've just given up on the government, we don't care what they do because it doesn't seem like they could screw up any worse.

USMARINE1108
03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm going to say yes but probably not for the same reason most do. Everyone is so convinced that social security is going to crash and burn and you won't get any money... That won't happen, one way or another the gov will pump more money into it just to keep it going. Hopefully at some point they finaly pull thier heads out of thier asses and change the way its done so they can actualy make money.

I would get out of it just because I think I can do alot better by putting it into my 401K, over the last 3 years I'm averaging a 12% return(I was around 18% but took a pretty big hit in the last quarter), and all I do is check it once a month and shift things around as needed depending on where things are going. Its not to tough and I'm by no means an investment expert.

That's exactly why I would get out of it.

PonyKiller87
03-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Heres the reason its tough or impossible to get out. Most of the morons out there that would get out of it would do it just to put more money in thier pocket now, then they would have absolutely nothing when they get old and retire. So because these people are too stupid to plan ahead were all stuck with the crappy system.

I think they should make it so that if you can prove that the money is going into some type of retirement fund you should beable to get out of SS. That wouldn't be to hard, at most places you could have that money diverted into your 401K, which would be easy to do and easy to prove that its being done.

slickwilly
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Good point, but so what? If people want to piss away their retirement, let 'em.

Think about all the money the government spends employing people to sort out this retirement shit all the time.

juicedimpss
03-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Heres the reason its tough or impossible to get out. Most of the morons out there that would get out of it would do it just to put more money in thier pocket now, then they would have absolutely nothing when they get old and retire. So because these people are too stupid to plan ahead were all stuck with the crappy system.

maybe a third world country could send money,food,and medicines to us to take care of the old peeps who didnt plan for tomorrow.
:rolf

forest
03-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Convert religions.

go down to the SS office in waukesha on braodway downtown, take your ss card with you, and tell them your "religion" does not believe in Social security. say it with a straight face and they will take your card away, and you will get a chunk of money back, but..... you no longer have a ss# good luck to all...

lordairgtar
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
go down to the SS office in waukesha on braodway downtown, take your ss card with you, and tell them your "religion" does not believe in Social security. say it with a straight face and they will take your card away, and you will get a chunk of money back, but..... you no longer have a ss# good luck to all...
...and you've done this?

300pny
03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
And people still Vote democrat and republic it's mind boggling.

Car Guy
03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
And people still Vote democrat and republic it's mind boggling.

Exactly my point too, if the gov't is soooo 'screwed up' (which it is!) why do we keep voting for Demorcrats or Republicans...???

I don't get it.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Silver350
03-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Ill probably be working till I am dead anyways so yeah I would

Prince Valiant
03-19-2008, 02:34 PM
I've been pretty lucky with my own retirement...over the last 5 years I've gotten an average of 25%, which is mind boggling. This statement was the first that I've gone down at all (can't really say that I've "lost" money though, since i still own the stocks), but even then, going down less than 2% in this market is a killing in my book.

This year, I'm diversifying more...my new job includes an employer funded pension, and after 20 years, I'm fully funded. I'm also opening a new private savings account, and I'm going buy an investment property when the housing market improves.

Nix
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Good topic, its got me thinking. I wouldn't know which one to choose right now I have no idea. I'm torn both ways but there are some really good points in this thread.:thumbsup

Yooformula
03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
you have to surrender your social security number and give up all of your credit. One of my employees did this and said that you are basically "quitting" from the irs as it is a business.

300pny
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
The gov't screws up enough financial endevours. I rather be responsible for my own finances and keep the gov't out as much as possible. Ill never vote deomocrate or Republican after I have seen how they handle money.

tommyt5078
03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
It depends on age, I'm not old 36, but I think it will be around when I'm ready to retire, so I would leave it in SS.

Breecher_7
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Id get out of SS in a hearbeat. All the money I pay into that would go alot further in other investments.

GRAMPS SS
03-19-2008, 06:18 PM
i'm in for the long haul.....what do i have to LOSE.....my wife has a retirement plan from her last job she retired at along with a 401k from there as well...and at her present job...she has a 401k...we have stocks...a few cds...hell i don't have that long to wait...so i'm sticking with it....

forest
03-20-2008, 07:50 AM
...and you've done this?

nope, but i know somone who did

USMARINE1108
03-20-2008, 08:16 AM
What would life be like without a SSN? Tell you what, life in the military would be a little hard. I wonder what would happen with your credit in reality?

Yooformula
03-20-2008, 08:19 AM
your credit is gone in reality. again I have an employee that did this and has no credit cards, cant get a loan or buy a house with credit. He has to do income verification for everything.

Breecher_7
03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
What would life be like without a SSN? Tell you what, life in the military would be a little hard. I wonder what would happen with your credit in reality?

LOL. thats because your social security # is ALL you have. Everything revolves around it... :rolf

Silver03SRT
03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
i'm in for the long haul.....what do i have to LOSE.....my wife has a retirement plan from her last job she retired at along with a 401k from there as well...and at her present job...she has a 401k...we have stocks...a few cds...hell i don't have that long to wait...so i'm sticking with it....

Think of all the money you pay into SS. I would rather have control of my money and invest it where I see the best yeilds are. You are not garenteed it anyways. Right now its being managed poorly and the gov. is giving money to people that dont even put in. My dad does not pay SS because he works for the federal gov. and he gets a pension he is a lot further ahead that way then if he contributed to SS as he can take that money and put it in a Roth