PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix GTP guys step in

VroomPshhTsi
03-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I'll be looking for a daily driver come summer and was wondering if people on this forum have much experience with 97-03 GTPs. I'm looking for one with under 85k miles, either black, red, or silver in color, and it must be a coupe.

How reliable are the 3.8L series II s/c engines? We use to have a 95 Bonny with the 3.8 and it wasn't perfect but overall I guess it was ok.
What quarter mile times did you have? (note: I plan on keeping it pretty stock)
How comfortable was the ride?
Does 23 mpg overall (city+freeway) sound right?
Any big concerns I should know about when shopping for one?

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

- Brian

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Poncho Dan is a good reference

Daytonapacecar959
03-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Stage II 3800's are almost bullet proof unless you really mod them and then you have to make sure you have a good tune.I raced my for a few years with no problems.Got down to 11.8 on the stock block.I wanted to push it even further and after dynoing 409 WHP we pushed it to far.Found a fueling problem in the fuel pump wiring,now running a L36 block.
The problems some have coolant or oil leaks,a recall is coming out soon for the GTP,fires.
I ran 13.9 with just a 3.5 pulley,CAI,and cat-back.
The rides not bad,gets pretty good gas mileage,highway i trip to Detroit i got almost 30 mpg.
any other questions just ask i'll try to answer them.

theavenger333
03-18-2008, 09:16 PM
the Series II is very reliable. most stock GTPs will run a low 15/high 14. some mid 14s. they are very tempermental cars, some run better then others. i used to get on average 20ish mpg on mine mixed, on the freeway it does CONSIDERABLY better, i got 30s then. remember you need to run at least mid grade, its considerably noticable, and the motor will knock retard itself to death. mine did okay on midgrade when it was stock, but some need premium. make sure it hasn't been modded. check the pulley size. should be around 3.8 inches. modified ones, the Transmission will go at 100k, almost guaranteed. if anything takes a crap, it'll be the transmission first. also, what year is it, best year(s) were 99-2001, 98s are the most common. stay away from 97. the car rides like a dream btw, very comfortable.

T-Bag
03-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I don't have a 97-03 (I have an 04), but the engine is pretty much the same besides a different blower, injectors, intake and the heads are a tad different. It is tame when cruising around but as soon as you hit the go pedal they are a completely different car.

Mine is lightly modded, it woke up quite a bit going with the Wizaired sealed airbox. The blower sounds sweet too. PCM just made it drive a bit differently and adjusts the fuel tables and what not for when or if I decide to drop a pulley

I get alright gas mileage, in the warm months I average around 22 city/hwy mix. I've gotten up to 27 mpg on a trip to the dells in cold and rainy weather. In winter its not the greatest, around 18-19 mpg.

I worked on a very nice 2003 GTP from a small dealership across the street that they just got in. We put a right rear wheel hub assembly in because the sensor went bad. Thing only has 45k on it, black in color and stock. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you a number to call.

nitrous
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Let me know when you want to start modding.

brewcity_mach1
03-19-2008, 09:08 AM
i had a gtp, ran 14.1 best time at the track, i had smaller pulley, cai, and water/meth injection

ND4SPD
03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a '99 GTP and it has been amazingly reliable. The only things that have gone out have been the HUD and the washer pump (both of which I replaced). I never modded mine other than a K&N Panel filter. It dynoed 217.6 WHP/216.6 WTQ stock and I ran a best of 14.803 @ 93.09 MPH. The ride is pretty comfortable. I get about 27 mpg average (as shown by the computer) but my miles are heavily weighted highway. During the winter that drops down to 22 to 24. If I'm consciencious about my driving habits I've seen 32MPG highway and 22 city. If you're hammering on it a lot though you'll see mid teens for gas mileage.

The heads-up display is the bomb too by the way! :D I wish more cars had it.

I actually will be selling mine soon if you're interested (as soon as I find either a TBSS or a Jeep SRT-8 that suits me). I know it's higher miles than you're probably looking for (as it has 120k), but they are highway miles (I drive to Madison for work). I'm the 2nd owner and bought it with about 32,000 miles. It's a red 2 door. PM me if you're interested.

Nix
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I have a 2003 40th anniversary edition and so far it has been great. I would recommend one, just as long as you don't pound the shit outta it you will be fine. Everything I have learned about my car so far has come from members on this board, there are some very knowlagable GTP owners on here. Take their advice they know what they are talking about. :)

Yamahachick02
03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
I love my car. The rear hub sensor is one of the only problems I have had with it so far. I have a 3.4 pulley with ram air and a couple other little mods, and I get about 17 in the city and 25 on the hwy. :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Poncho Dan is a good reference

Umm.... what

ND4SPD
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
Umm.... what

GTP /= GTO

T-Bag
03-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Poncho Dan used to have a pace car GTP if I remember correctly...

Deggy
03-19-2008, 09:24 PM

Correctomundo :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
03-19-2008, 09:27 PM

I know..... my post was intended to rip on him.

Daytonapacecar959
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM

and i still have mine that's a hell of alot faster then his was,plus i think i know just alittle more then him about them.

Brian98GTP
03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
and i still have mine that's a hell of alot faster then his was,plus i think i know just alittle more then him about them.

What's up Fred!!
I haven't heard from you since that time you walked in front of that bullet... :goof

I'm sure I'll see you on a BW3 wing night or something, if I'm ever able to make it to one. :alcoholic

EDIT: I didn't intend for this to turn into a 'Rip on Dan' thread (although, I really don't care if it does) :rolf

Poncho
03-19-2008, 10:21 PM
There are many here who have messed w/ GTPs, and w-bodies.

I had two myself, the ex wife had two.

and again, I currently have a w-body.