PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Question

73Dustr
03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I picked up a Fusion last fall, and now that's getting nice out (and it's tax return season), I would like to do a few things to it. I have an appointment at Blackout to get the windows tinted this week. I am trying to decide how dark to go with the tint. I know that in WI, law states front windows can't be darker than 50$, rear windows 35%. Have any of you guys with darker tint been hassled by the cops? I just don't want to make a problem for myself, but at the same time, I'd like to go with something darker than 50%. Also, if some of you guys could post up some pics and let me know what tint % is, that'd be awesome.

DirtyMax
03-18-2008, 05:41 PM
35% will look good on that car and should keep the police off your nuts. 50% is a waste IMO and 20% is bordering on pretty dark. That being said... I might do 20% on my truck front wondiws though because that's what will match the back factory tint...

This is 35% on a silver car.... you can still see in but it gives a good effect.
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5161&stc=1&d=1205880261

05caddyext
03-18-2008, 05:46 PM
I did 5% on my back windows (back doors and rear window) 35% up front. I have been given warnings and tickets, just depends on the cop you get that day. I always say look, I told the place to do it legal, thats why the fronts arent as dark as the back. 99% of the time the cop says "well I can see you made an effort, they are different" I wouldn't worry about it to much, if you get caught you get caught.

MoCkiN U
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
my buddy with darker tint than me on his black stang got pulled over every time we went out. I have yet *knock on wood* to be stopped. 35% on mine too but in a blue car not black probably makes a visual difference

indoors with my buddies s2000 with 35%

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/MACH%201/100B2840-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/MACH%201/P51.jpg

MoCkiN U
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
better angle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/ShoUrGlow/MACH%201/100_2861-1.jpg

Cutlass Queen
03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I have the darkest legal tint possible on my DD. I can't remember exactly what percentage it is though (maybe 50% all around :confused). It's dark enough to not be able to be seen in the car at night, and during the day you just can see shadows. I have limo tint on the two side windows of my Cutlass, use to have it on the rear window but yanked it off. I hated the darkness of the tint in every way possible :chair:

Here are some pictures...hope this helps a bit

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Hotrodloverz28/GrandAm-1.jpg

This one is old since the Cutty was in primer :rolf
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/Hotrodloverz28/Cutlass%20Years/Cutlass002-1.jpg

OxmanWI
03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
So what are the best places around here to get a tint job with prices all around? And just to make sure 35% is WI state legal?

MoCkiN U
03-18-2008, 08:35 PM
I got mine done at sunbusters I think it was in waukesha. Hear mixed things about them though. I had a average experience, might not go back to them

Mr Twigbert
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, I hope I don't make my self sound like a prick here but I ticket people all the time for tint.. BUT, its only people in the hood.. If I worked in a safe place and didn't have to worry about getting shot in the face as I approach a car I wouldn't be such a prick about it.. But, seeing my butt hole does pucker up as I approach one of these ghetto cars and can't see inside I ticket all the time.. Not only do I ticket but I write 1 ticket for the front windows being in violation, 1 ticket for the rear side windows and 1 ticket for the rear window.. Yes, 3 tint tickets for one car..

I'd suggest doing the 50% front, and 35% back to be on the safe side but its up to you.. I got 50% on the wifes minivan front windows and it looks nice.. And by the back windows being tinted more it allows less light into the car and it makes the fronts look darker than they really are..

Deggy
03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z6/deggyfresh/IMG_0318.jpg
my car is 5%, IMO I like it but sucks at night. Only been pulled over once, and they only questioned how dark it was.

Yellow2k1vette
03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
35% on the sides is reasonable enough to usually avoid officer intervention, unless you do something to provoke them into "finding a reason" to pull you.

20% is hit/miss. You'll probably get by for a while, maybe years, but one day you'll probably be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and a pissed off badge will hit you for it.

5% on the side windows is bait. EXPECT to get stopped for it.

Of course enforcement varies by community too. Certain municipalities do have their pet peeves, tint being one of them.
I've played the tint game for 20 years, and when younger, did the 5% all around thing too. I'd get pulled for it almost weekly, get a fix-it ticket to remove it, I would, get it ok'd, and the next day the tint would get reapplied. Having a friend with a tint shop was a nice perk back then. :D

My advice is go one shader darker than the legal, and you'll most likely have no problems.

I have 28% all around on the Vette, and have been fine the past 6 years...although rarely do I ever drive it with the side windows up.
That, and the popular opinion here is that cops don't mess with Vettes anyways, so that might be irrelevant.

http://home.wi.rr.com/c5vette/06sig.jpg

:haveabeer

BoosTT
03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
35% is the way to go... however, if its still too light for you, tint the back window darker. It lets less light in the car and makes the tint look darker. btw, I don't think cops can test the rear window.

BoosTT
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
oh, yeah, 35% really tests to 28%.

Mr Twigbert
03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
btw, I don't think cops can test the rear window.

I can and do.. Milwaukee has a 2 piece meter.. One gets held on the outside and one on the inside.. Not to mention the rear window has its own statute, as do the front side windows and the rear side windows.. 3 tickets total.. :devil

73Dustr
03-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate it. My Duster had tinted windows, but it came like that so I don't know what % it was.

Mr Twigbert, was I correct with front sides can only be 50% and rear sides/ rear can be 35%?

Mr Twigbert
03-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. I appreciate it. My Duster had tinted windows, but it came like that so I don't know what % it was.

Mr Twigbert, was I correct with front sides can only be 50% and rear sides/ rear can be 35%?

Yeah.. But I'm not innocent by any means.. I have 20% on my Mustang but actually wish I went lighter.. Its just too dark in the night time..

OxmanWI
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Sunbusters? That's it? Anymore?

Cutlass Queen
03-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I went to Sunbusters as well with the Grand Am tint, had it for years now and no problems whatsoever. Minus Deggy putting my Grand Am on fade with his in this thread though :durr

88Nightmare
03-18-2008, 11:25 PM
grand ams are ghey anyway

the front windows in my truck are tinted 20% to match the factory back windows. Never had a problem.

73Dustr
03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Sunbusters? That's it? Anymore?

I asked for some suggestions back in fall and a ton of people suggested Blackout on Hwy 100, next to Ultimate Truck. Everything is computer-cut and the tint, installation, etc. is warrantied for life. Given all the positive feedback, I am anticipating quality work and service.

Cutlass Queen
03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
grand ams are ghey anyway

the front windows in my truck are tinted 20% to match the factory back windows. Never had a problem.

Thats why mine is the beater with a heater :banana1:

OxmanWI
03-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I asked for some suggestions back in fall and a ton of people suggested Blackout on Hwy 100, next to Ultimate Truck. Everything is computer-cut and the tint, installation, etc. is warrantied for life. Given all the positive feedback, I am anticipating quality work and service.

I was hoping someone would have said "blackout" cause I remember my guy telling me about that place on 100. Thanks!:thumbsup

Mr Twigbert
03-18-2008, 11:44 PM
I had the Mustang done at CarTunes in I think it was South Milwaukee.. It turned out ok but I was less than happy when it came time to the customer service..

I had the wifes van done at Blackout on HWY 100 and I would go back in a second.. Super customer service and the tint came out flawless..

michelle
03-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I have 35% on all of mine. It looks darker on a black car, which works for me. I got pulled over in Elm Grove for it and they gave me a fix-it ticket. Gave them a note from my eye doctor saying my eyes are sensitive to sunlight when I wear contacts and they dismissed it. (:

Adam had 20% on his '99 SHO and it was way too dark and hard to see out of at night. My sister has the same on her Sunfire and she complains about it too. I'd vote for 35%.

88Nightmare
03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
20% works ok for me as far as seeing out at night... When I had 5% on my foxbody, that made it tough at night :D

Mr Twigbert
03-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Gave them a note from my eye doctor saying my eyes are sensitive to sunlight when I wear contacts and they dismissed it. (:

Thats sweet.. Never thought about that tactic.. You just earned your self 20 extra merit points which you can spend no where.. :goof

OxmanWI
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
I had the Mustang done at CarTunes in I think it was South Milwaukee.. It turned out ok but I was less than happy when it came time to the customer service..

I had the wifes van done at Blackout on HWY 100 and I would go back in a second.. Super customer service and the tint came out flawless..

Waht is state legal?

88Nightmare
03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
50% on front windows, 35% on back windows

I was thinking about getting my mothers car tinted for mothers day. I was gonna do 20% all the way around, which she is comfortable with, shes driven my truck at night. If it were my own vehicle, I'd tint it myself, which is what I did with my truck, however I recommend Tint Boyz on 25th and Lincoln Ave. Its kinda ghetto, but they do awesome quality work

Jeff
03-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Get you windows tinted at blackout! I have had two cars done there, and plan to do two more once it gets nicer. It may be a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for, I'll never go anywhere else.

lordairgtar
03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I can and do.. Milwaukee has a 2 piece meter.. One gets held on the outside and one on the inside.. Not to mention the rear window has its own statute, as do the front side windows and the rear side windows.. 3 tickets total.. :devil
Sounds like Mr. Twigbert is having fun out there.

Slow Joe
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM

I got pulled over by a cop in the falls with 35% all the way around... And even after I tried explaining that it was what I had on the car for the past 5 years w/o any problems he still gave me a fix it... Here's what the car looked like with 50% in front and 35% for the Rear Quarter Windows, and Back Window...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/joe53051/EaaWithAirplane.jpg

And Here's a pic with the 35% all the way around... (Man this is an old pic :rolf)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/joe53051/MyMustang03.jpg

CannotPost
03-19-2008, 02:56 PM

You know whats uber lame?? You can't legally black out just your rear windows. But you can buy Vans with no rear windows at all?? WTF?

Or lets say you have a P/U truck and want to put "limo" tint on just your back window--- can't illegal. But if you buy a cap for the same truck you still can not see in or out but thats legal?????

Deggy
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
I heard your rear window can be as dark as you want it to be as long as you have 2 side mirrors.

CannotPost
03-19-2008, 03:09 PM
I heard your rear window can be as dark as you want it to be as long as you have 2 side mirrors.

I heard it could not be darker than 35%

I could be wrong..... it has happend before