PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio Gurus

Go Speed
03-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I love my car, but i picked a nightmare for an audio system.
So many conflicting stories on how to upgrade.
I have a 00 540i, with DSP. I like some of the DSP features and odn't really want to lose them. I want to keep factory look/feel (for now).

But, the sound quality sucks. I've dicked around with the settings, but just can't get it and i really want more volume. I'll eventually replace speakers.

In the meantime, all i want to do is add a decent 4 channel amp and a sub amp.
The 'easiest' way I've found to do this and keep some DSP features is either the
Mobile Audio Control LC6i (http://www.mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_id=222456) or one in that family - the 7 will let me use a Zune or the JL Audio Clean Sweep. (http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=94)

If i understand correctly, i can splice this in, after the DSP amp, toss in my own amps and i'm done????? right? maybe???

PureSound15
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Do the cleansweep, without a doubt. I believe you're going to need some signal amplifiers and an eq6 as well.

Philly-O or BigBoost (Rob) surely will be able to tell you exactly what to do, it's been a few years since that stuff came out and I was familiar with it.

Go Speed
03-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey Ryan,
Thanks... i was hoping you'd respond.

The Clean Sweep only seems to have front and rear? Is that going to adequate for a sub amp? or is that what the eq6 is for?

Do you still do this professionally? Is it something you'd be interested in helping me design/install on the side? Shoot me a PM if you're interested -
Thx

Philly-O
03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
adding just an amp to your system will be a nightmare because the crossovers for the factory speakers are built into the factory amp. i would save your pennies and do it all at once (atleast speakers and amps). if you like you can keep the factory headunit and integrate aftermarket speakers and amps.

Go Speed
03-20-2008, 08:55 AM
adding just an amp to your system will be a nightmare because the crossovers for the factory speakers are built into the factory amp. i would save your pennies and do it all at once (atleast speakers and amps). if you like you can keep the factory headunit and integrate aftermarket speakers and amps.

bummer, I was hoping the CleanSweep would have made it easier.

So, where to start? just pull the DSP & speaker wires? Reconnect with my own stuff? Are the wires from the HU, before the DSP unit, full range and just l/r? f/b?

TIA

Junky Giorgio
03-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Nice new whip! If you check out www.bimmerforums.com there are a lot of reviews and info on this that you will find to be very knowledgeable.