PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car Crash

michelle
03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

Better then what I was expecting, but I still don't think I would drive one. I'll stick with my safe Taurus. (:

Car Guy
03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
One word comes to mind when watching that, WOW! :wooo

In that it was said that the human organs just can't handle the negative g-forces in a crash like that. So does that mean even if you were in a big BMW the result would be the same...???

Just curious.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

That_Guy
03-18-2008, 02:38 PM
zomg that was fun to watch

LIZMO
03-18-2008, 02:42 PM
wow x2!

SmokinRAM114
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
whoa that thing like BLOWS apart

Prince Valiant
03-18-2008, 03:04 PM
One word comes to mind when watching that, WOW! :wooo

In that it was said that the human organs just can't handle the negative g-forces in a crash like that. So does that mean even if you were in a big BMW the result would be the same...???

Just curious.....
Results wouldn't necessarily be the same...several factors may mitigate the circumstances:

1. The BMW is going to having larger/longer crush zones...while it's given that the speed is the same, the longer crush zone lengthens the time of impact, dramatically reducing the impulse/IE lessens the peak G-forces, increasing the chance for survival.

2. The likleyhood of crashing into an imoveable object is low which would essentially be the only time the two cars could be equal...and once that is established, it becomes a battle of inertia...and the heavier BMW would have greater inertia and thus transfer greater energy to the vehicle it's impacting...

Smart vs S-class means the S class will throw it's inertia around much more, transfer much more energy to the smart making it a higher likelyhood of a fatality.

BMW vs S-class means the two will be more equal...the BMW and S class would have a near exchage of energy...meaning the BMW would be affeected less than the smart, and the S-class will be affected more than had it crashed into the smart car.

There can be no denying that in general, bigger is better...except when crashing into an immoveable object...then it's like crashing into an object with the same mass and moving the same speed as you were in the opposite direction...then mass becomes your enemy.

This is why Fed test, and insurance test can be very different...the fed uses a ~3500lb sled to crash into cars....the insurance institute uses an immoveable object and crashes the car into it.

In the fed test, it's like a crash involving "the average auto". In the insurance institute, it's like crashing into yourself. So Suburban vs Surburban, and insight vs insight (which is very unlikely) determines rating...so small cars tend to do well in INS test, big cars excel in the arguably more realistic Fed test...

Flight_740
03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I think my car would move those blocks!:stare

I'm serious. That 2nd car got them all out of shape.

HRSEPLA
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Since they still show the guys face I deleted it for the familys sake it's too gross
-Tina

Irish
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
This Isnt a smart car but Its a Small VW that crashed head on with a semi --DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO DEAD PEOPLE AS IT IS VERY GRAPHIC & GROSS!!!
I know that I would never buy one....

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/moemar/smartcar6.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.winnipegheights.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D135661&usg=__UXAggRPcRIO2QYU5iPaGQXK7Mq8=&h=600&w=800&sz=137&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=QAnXiKM7THp5wM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsmart%2Bcar%2Bsemi%26hl%3Den%26um%3D1

-Tina

That photo is not for the faint of heart.

Exitspeed
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I've driven in one. The Red and Silver one that Tori Schultz from Shorewest had like 5 years ago. She drove my wife and I home from a wedding shower they threw for us years ago.

My wife had to sit on my lap and let me tell you...that thing was a pile-o crap. It was all rattly, and the fit and finish was just terrible. I definitely didn't feel very safe in it. You get kinda the same feeling driving in Jamaica. Like, you'll probably live through this ride but if something goes wrong you're fucked.