PDA

View Full Version : Tipping......

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
.....Is not only a city in China :D What do you think is proper ettiquete for tipping? I just picked up some chinese food to go and after I left I wondered if I should have given a small tip. It was one of those phone in orders, ahhh pick up twenty minute you want flied lice?

So what do you guys think for tipping?

What about tipping those guys at the airport outside the terminal that handle your baggage?

Who else do you think should receive a tip aside from the obvious...Waitress, valet guy, pizza/deliver guy....etc?

juicedimpss
03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
just the tip?

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 02:58 PM
no not that kind of tip. :rolf

Flicktitty
03-17-2008, 02:59 PM
uhm i don't usually tip people unless it is a gratuitiy based job. Waitress,valet,delivery etc.. Or if they go out of there way to serve you or help out out more then usual.

But i usually tip pretty decent to those people and i always tip good for drivers exspecially now with how expensive fuel costs are some people are making little to no money doing that with the price of gas.

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
I usually don't order delivery, but the few times that I do, the pizza I always order from papa johns ends up being about $15 bucks, I just toss em a 20 for their troubles. Gas ain't cheap.

DirtyMax
03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
I have friends in the food/beverage service industry and so I tip 20-25% unless the wait staff really sucks.

I usually tip about $1 per drink I order. Not per round... per drink.

Coat check... $2-3 bucks.

And if somebody handles my baggage (other than my girl) at an airport or anywhere else for that matter, they're getting a tip alright. Tip of my size 13 right up their rectum. J/K...

Actually, I usually tip them a few bucks. Except for the greedy asshat in Mexico. He carried my luggage like 30 feet and I gave him $2 American which is like half a days wages for them, which I thought was more than generous. He was like "That's it, senor'?!?" and he sat there with his hand out. I was like WTF???!!!??? So I snatched the $2 I gave him back out of his palm and said "Now you get shit, senor'.. move along". He didn't look pleased.

In Mexico, I give the waiter who brings me my first drink $5-10 American and I never have a glass that is less than half full the rest of the day. That's like the better part of a day's pay to them.

Pizza delivery guy usually gets the change from my $20, which ends up being like $4-$5.

Dudes who deliver an appliance/furniture to my house, I usually offer them a soda or water if it's hot out and slide them $5-$10 each if they have move something that sucks or several somethings.

xxsn0blindxx
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't usually tip for carry out, although I've debated about whether I should or not. My thought is that the cashier really isn't doing anything that justifies a tip and I have a hard time leaving a tip for a cook when I don't know if the food is good or not and there's no bus-boy cleaning up after me.

I tip cab drivers because it's expected and part of how they make their living, but I really don't understand this concept very much. I realize it gives them incentive to get you where you need to go in a timely fashion and encourages them to help you with your luggage, but I don't really think it should be a tip based job.

I almost absolutely never leave money in tip jars. These seem to be most commonly found in coffee shops for some reason. If you're putting out a tip jar that means you get a regular wage and the tips are just a bonus. Unless you do something really extraordinary for me I see absolutely no reason to leave a tip. To date I have not experienced anybody doing anything extraordinary for me from behind a counter. I'm not really sure why they feel justified in putting out a tip jar at all. What's next tip jars at McDonald's?

As far as your standard restaurant tipping goes, I always tip at least 20% and generally round it up rather than down and I don't leave less than $2 for a tip regardless of the bill. Wait staff depend on tips for the majority of their pay and the old 15% rule isn't very much nowadays.

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't usually tip for carry out, although I've debated about whether I should or not. My thought is that the cashier really isn't doing anything that justifies a tip and I have a hard time leaving a tip for a cook when I don't know if the food is good or not and there's no bus-boy cleaning up after me.

I tip cab drivers because it's expected and part of how they make their living, but I really don't understand this concept very much. I realize it gives them incentive to get you where you need to go in a timely fashion and encourages them to help you with your luggage, but I don't really think it should be a tip based job.

I almost absolutely never leave money in tip jars. These seem to be most commonly found in coffee shops for some reason. If you're putting out a tip jar that means you get a regular wage and the tips are just a bonus. Unless you do something really extraordinary for me I see absolutely no reason to leave a tip. To date I have not experienced anybody doing anything extraordinary for me from behind a counter. I'm not really sure why they feel justified in putting out a tip jar at all. What's next tip jars at McDonald's?

As far as your standard restaurant tipping goes, I always tip at least 20% and generally round it up rather than down and I don't leave less than $2 for a tip regardless of the bill. Wait staff depend on tips for the majority of their pay and the old 15% rule isn't very much nowadays.

DING DING DING! Everyone is talking about tipping the pizza guy more money because of gas prices, or people talking about wanting a raise to deal with the rising cost of gas prices, so I think wait staff deserves the same! 15% seems to old fashioned. If someone took care of me at a restaurant, I will make sure to return the favor.

There is a local diner by my house, I go there often for breakfast. Its a small place, always the same waitress working every time I go. She is very very nice, always remembers exactly what I order... hell, when she sees me pulling into the parking lot, she even has my beverage waiting for me at the table before I walk in the door. She even comes by for the small talk..... hows things, still working at _____. She remembers everything, real nice place, decent food. On my 5 or 6 dollar check, I have no problem leaving a 5 or 6 dollar tip

juicedimpss
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
DING DING DING! Everyone is talking about tipping the pizza guy more money because of gas prices, or people talking about wanting a raise to deal with the rising cost of gas prices, so I think wait staff deserves the same! 15% seems to old fashioned. If someone took care of me at a restaurant, I will make sure to return the favor.

There is a local diner by my house, I go there often for breakfast. Its a small place, always the same waitress working every time I go. She is very very nice, always remembers exactly what I order... hell, when she sees me pulling into the parking lot, she even has my beverage waiting for me at the table before I walk in the door. She even comes by for the small talk..... hows things, still working at _____. She remembers everything, real nice place, decent food. On my 5 or 6 dollar check, I have no problem leaving a 5 or 6 dollar tip

what place is that?

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Jeffs, by Clement Ave on Rawson. I recommend it.

Flicktitty
03-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Damn straight same with a couple places out here in Delavan. If they treat me better i treat them better.

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
that place is awesome, i went in there one morning with my soccer team, we were all hung over and not feeling well, took amazing are of us, we sat there the majority of the morning. we left something north of a 40% tip just based on the care they took for us

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
that place is awesome, i went in there one morning with my soccer team, we were all hung over and not feeling well, took amazing are of us, we sat there the majority of the morning. we left something north of a 40% tip just based on the care they took for us

Jeff's in Oak Creek? they are good people :banana1:

johnny--2k
03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
same here for me. 20-25% on average, and more if the service was exceptionally good or the person went out of their way to do something.

Valet and Airport guys usually 2 or 3 bucks. If the valet is really good, and leaves my car close, the tip gets exponentially bigger, but generally I dont valet if I can help it.

I've had a few occasions where the tip exceeded the bill for exceptional service/familiar places close by where we (friends and I) often visit like Perkins or webbs, especially when "slightly" inebriated.

stenchmiester
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
speaking of jeffs when are we gonna do breakfast again mike??

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
yes jeffs. where do you guys live that you go there?

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm one of those suckers that leaves money in the tip jars at Starbucks and Caribou Coffee. I usually spend 4.01-4.25 on a drink, and toss the change from a five in the jar.

I try to be pretty good about tipping servers because my sister was a waitress for a long time, and I used to be a bus boy. That shit is not an easy way to make a living.

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:49 PM
i live in the subdivision right across the street from jeffs

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm one of those suckers that leaves money in the tip jars at Starbucks and Caribou Coffee. I usually spend 4.01-4.25 on a drink, and toss the change from a five in the jar.

I try to be pretty good about tipping servers because my sister was a waitress for a long time, and I used to be a bus boy. That shit is not an easy way to make a living.

why the FVCK would you spend $4 on a cup of coffee? WTF is wrong with you? Speedway coffee = $.89 fvk yaaaaaa

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 03:51 PM
i live in the subdivision right across the street from jeffs

wow, i live just up the road in SM over by blakewood school.

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
wow, i live just up the road in SM over by blakewood school.

ahh, over in the hood eh? :rolf

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 03:54 PM
why the FVCK would you spend $4 on a cup of coffee? WTF is wrong with you? Speedway coffee = $.89 fvk yaaaaaa
Just living the suburban yuppie life. ;) I get the fancy shit, and then sit around doing homework or surfing on the Blackberry. I'll pay the five bucks just to get out of the house for a while.

juicedimpss
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Just living the suburban yuppie life. ;) I get the fancy shit, and then sit around doing homework or surfing on the Blackberry. I'll pay the five bucks just to get out of the house for a while.

you can hang out with me for $5
:rolf

Korndogg
03-17-2008, 03:57 PM

:rolf:rolf

88Nightmare
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM

with the price of gas nowadays, I can get out of the house and drive around the block and use $5 bucks worth of gas.

You are so concerned about fancy shit, but were you blind when you bought that foxbody mustang of yours? That ain't no mercedes with a starbucks gift certificate :rolf

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
ahh, over in the hood eh? :rolf

hell yes! the honky hood

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
with the price of gas nowadays, I can get out of the house and drive around the block and use $5 bucks worth of gas.

You are so concerned about fancy shit, but were you blind when you bought that foxbody mustang of yours? That ain't no mercedes with a starbucks gift certificate :rolf

lol f*ck you, I like the car. I don't care if the car's ugly and anti-trendy, it makes noise and goes like a milllion miles an hour.

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Cheap date. I'll take it into consideration. Do I have to open doors for you?

USMARINE1108
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
/japan/ You funny wownd eye! Hey GI, you want good time? /japan/

I tip 20% generaly. If the service sucks, I leave them nothing. If they're busy and it sucks, they get 15%. If they're busy and it's good service (like last friday night at Ruby Tuesdays) I gave the guy $10 and a $20 gas card I had in my walet (the gas station it was for is way out of my way which is why someone gave it to me, and doesnt sell premium). He said he lives in that area, so he's go a long commute to work. He may have suckered me, but he was a cool guy and went the extra mile for us. Bartenders get a buck, pizza guys get $5, I don't tip for carry out.

I carry my own bags at the airport. I can carry a 65lb pack for 10 miles, I can handle a bag with some clothes in it, thanks. I get a little upset when people take it upon themselfs to do something for me (I didn't ask them to) then they expect money from me.

The commisary (the grocery store on base that sells stuff real cheap) has baggers who work ONLY for tips. They bag your stuff up and take it out to your car. By the time you're done paying, they're ready to go. I always let a kid (14-16yo) take my stuff out and throw him a few bucks, but there are some people in their 60's who do this job too. It makes me feel pretty akward to let someone older then my parents wheele my cart of groceries to my Camaro. :rolleyes: Call me crazy. I generally tell them I'll get it myself and give them a few bucks. It's just a weird situation all around that makes me a little uncomfortable.

stenchmiester
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
hahaha nice i actually work at the bar on the corner of 5th and marion jack of all trades on wednsday nights

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I have the same feeling anytime i got to a commissary. luckily i usually get the young kid... you know, the colonels kid.

Al
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
When I delivered pizzas, nothing quite sucked like driving 15 miles round trip and recieving a $2 on a $10 pizza. There are minimums for delivery service.

H8RADE
03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
When I pick up togo orders I always tip.
My favorite Thai place knows my name and how I like my food because I give them $12 for a $9 meal.
Not saying everywhere, but if you care about the food and the service, then it never hurts to show it.
:thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
03-17-2008, 08:34 PM

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf.

GRAMPS SS
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM

God...you must be lonely :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf

GRAMPS SS
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
i tip 20-25% tops......and that takes a chunk out of my SS check....

Deggy
03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
God...you must be lonely :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf

Thats an easy 5 bucks tho.

GRAMPS SS
03-17-2008, 08:50 PM
easy money yes...but the drama here afterwards.....and ron might get a tip....

Deggy
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Drama and BCM??? No way!

LIZMO
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
1. deggy doesn't tip drivers!
2. everyone should tip workers who make minimun wage because they depend on tips for their living money. thats my .02 cents on tipping.

slickwilly
03-18-2008, 02:02 AM
What are you trying to say, old man?

wikked
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I toss my change in the Jimmy John's tip jar, 'cos that shit is ready before I'm done paying.

If Cousin's had a tip jar, I'd probably cough up some lung butter in there.

juicedimpss
03-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I toss my change in the Jimmy John's tip jar, 'cos that shit is ready before I'm done paying.

how the hell can those dudes make a sandwich that fast anyway?

88Nightmare
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
how the hell can those dudes make a sandwich that fast anyway?

how the hell does a rainbow work? how the hell does the sun rise and set? how the hell are boobs so fun to stare at? how the hell does the posi-trac on a plymouth work?...... It just does....... :banana1:

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
If the server or whoever went out of there way to do a great job for me, had a great attitude, and was helpful, then I'll be generous but not if they just take my order and drop the food off. I want them to have a cheerful attitude and to be enthusiastic. I'd give 20% for great service, 15% for good service, and much less for bad service.

I especially hate bartenders that take their time getting to you, then don't smile or say anything, open a beer, and then expect you to tip them. Part of their job is to have a good personality as well as get your drink. I'm not expecting them to be my friend but a nice "hi, how are you doing" or whatever would be nice.

I used to feel obligated to tip everyone but that's complete BS. I think it's getting out of hand. Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happey to tip for good service but I'm not going to hand out money to someone who doesn't deserve it when I have my own bills to pay. I'd rather give the money to my family or friends rather then to people who just expect it because they are a "server" or "bartender". Servers need to earn their money by doing a good job just like everyone else.

subliminal1284
03-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I know of a guy that would put a 15 on the table and tell the waitress/waiter this is the potential amount you will recieve as a tip and then he would remove money the more mistakles they made.

wikked
03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
I also drop a buck+change into the Real Chili tip cup, for satisfying my salty greasy cheesy food needs at 2am... and that asian chick is cute :P

Single mild + cheese, beans & noodles plz :drool:

88Nightmare
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
I know of a guy that would put a 15 on the table and tell the waitress/waiter this is the potential amount you will recieve as a tip and then he would remove money the more mistakles they made.

wow what an asshole. why don't you dangle a double quarter pounder with cheese in front of an ethiopian and then cut a piece of it off for every second it takes him to catch it

H8RADE
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
wow what an asshole. why don't you dangle a double quarter pounder with cheese in front of an ethiopian and then cut a piece of it off for every second it takes him to catch it

Guys like that end up getting popped sooner or later.
Phaggot...

Chalky
03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't tip at carry-out. At restaurants, I tip @ 20-25% depending on service. When I drank, I always left change from each drink and a tip afterwards if service was worth it.

I hate seeing tip jars. My job required me to travel and I had an expense account but I always carried my own bags through airports and hotels. Never saw the value in someone carrying my bag into a hotel front door.