PDA

View Full Version : Mac/Snap On tool sets

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I have been talking with my dad and Brother about sucking it up and getting a really nice tool setup with Full Impact and misc tools.

I have a Mac dealer as a buddy and wants to give me a great price on this stuff. But i figured if anyone is looking getting rid of some stuff i would be more than happy to buy it off you before someone else grabs it.

awsomeears
03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Theres Nothing wrong about Craftsman !!!!!!!!
I agree some stuff that is Matco or Snap-on is the Shiznett but your wasting your money, don't be like every other grease monkey and spend 50k on tools and a box.

Worst thing you can do is get an account with a Matco or Snap-on guy, its like free booze you will abuse it time and time again. I have so many friends that finally grew up and stopped doing it and purchased other tools 3/4 of the cost of Matco & Snap-on.

Craftsman, Harbor Freight and Kobalt are your friend.

Hell ask my Brother ( Car Guy ) what he gets by with, he is a perfect example of a smart shopper that can do everything if not more then other grease monkeys that have 50K wrapped up in tools.

Harbor Freight Full set of deep well and standard length impacts both Metric and SAE $100 - $150
Matco deep well and standard length impacts both metric and SAE $1,200 to $2000

Priceless !!!

This is just my opinion :-)

Ohh yea we were at the Golf Dome tonight, 2nd time I was there and its cool as hell !!!!!!

slickwilly
03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah my family (in Michigan, that is) has always used Craftsman and we haven't had any serious issues.

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Ive heard good things about both Kobolt and Craftsman, but was worried about their Air IMpact stuff. Is it just as good? Life time warranty?

WickedSix
03-16-2008, 11:43 PM
I don't recall anyone having a lifetime warranty of air tools..... they are servicable wear items..... I have a thunder gun by IR and most of my air tools are IR as well better than CH for sure :thumbsup

lasttimearound
03-16-2008, 11:46 PM
so ive had a set of both metric and sae pittsburgh impacts for the last 5 years or so and have had no issues, and each (metric and sae sold individually) were 15 bucks. so 30 bucks and i have the full set of everything i need for impact sockets

awsomeears
03-16-2008, 11:47 PM
so ive had a set of both metric and sae pittsburgh impacts for the last 5 years or so and have had no issues, and each (metric and sae sold individually) were 15 bucks. so 30 bucks and i have the full set of everything i need for impact sockets

Crazy hey ?

Al
03-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Ive heard good things about both Kobolt and Craftsman, but was worried about their Air IMpact stuff. Is it just as good? Life time warranty?

Just buy the Ingersoll Rand impacts at Sears. IIRC, they have some kick ass impacts out there.

Theres Nothing wrong about Craftsman !!!!!!!!
I agree some stuff that is Matco or Snap-on is the Shiznett but your wasting your money, don't be like every other grease monkey and spend 50k on tools and a box.

Worst thing you can do is get an account with a Matco or Snap-on guy, its like free booze you will abuse it time and time again. I have so many friends that finally grew up and stopped doing it and purchased other tools 3/4 of the cost of Matco & Snap-on.

Craftsman, Harbor Freight and Kobalt are your friend.

Hell ask my Brother ( Car Guy ) what he gets by with, he is a perfect example of a smart shopper that can do everything if not more then other grease monkeys that have 50K wrapped up in tools.

Full set of deep well and standard length impacts both Metric and SAE $100 - $150
Snap on deep well and standard length impacts both metric and SAE $200,000

Priceless !!!

This is just my opinion :-)

Now that I think about it, I have not broken too many Craftsman tools. I once returned a 17mm socket because the chrome was chipped and a socket swivel. Both of these tools were severely abused. I think the 17mm was used to get those key-lug nuts off of my mustang when I had it.

If you pick up a Craftsman tool catalog, you can buy a super-mega tool set with every item sold at the stores and more for about $9k. The thing is simply complete.

1470-piece set, $8600:
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/009H0259000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0
http://s7.sears.com/is-viewers/dhtml/images/blankimg.gif

I say NO to Harbor Freight. I have never had a good experience from there. The last tool I bought from them was a 1/4 inch socket set. The sockets broke as if they were made out of balsa wood and the ratchet would not reverse.

awsomeears
03-16-2008, 11:53 PM
I say NO to Harbor Freight. I have never had a good experience from there. The last tool I bought from them was a 1/4 inch socket set. The sockets broke as if they were made out of balsa wood and the ratchet would not reverse.

Well you can't expect a $6 socket set to hold up, It's like buying a Mustang and expecting it to last under harsh condition :durr

Some stuff is just plain junk I will agree on that, but any black impact set or wrenches and such have never let me or my brother down.

I'm sure he will chime in on some headaches that I don't know about but hell I like Harbor Freight :thumbsup

HAMRHEAD
03-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Craftsman is decent but there is a quality difference between them and Matco/ Snap-on. You can tell when you use the tools especially the gear wrenches and what not. Now Craftsmen has a lifetime warranty on most of their tools and are good about replacing them. I have broken a few myself. The main thing is the craftsmen will break before the Snap-on so you will just need to make more trips to have it replaced is all. It will also depend on if they are for a fulltime job or a hobby. Overall there is nothing wrong with craftsmen but there is a difference in feel. Not a big deal.

Al
03-17-2008, 12:04 AM

i have a Craftsman Impact gun that i got with my compressor. it is rated for 175 ftlbs, which isn't much, but it totally rocked when I first got it. it handled just about every nut and bolt that was not rusted on.

Al
03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Well you can't expect a $6 socket set to hold up, It's like buying a Mustang and expecting it to last under harsh condition :durr

Some stuff is just plain junk I will agree on that, but any black impact set or wrenches and such have never let me or my brother down.

I'm sure he will chime in on some headaches that I don't know about but hell I like Harbor Freight :thumbsup

I was using the set to lightly tighten down 1/4 inch lag bolts and mabey change a battery in a car. Nothing special.

I'd have to say that I was let down when the 3/8 inch socket broke as I was assembling an office chair.

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Several years back we got a CH compressor and impact wrench. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it seems pretty good and hasn't given us any issues.

slickwilly
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I was using the set to lightly tighten down 1/4 inch lag bolts and mabey change a battery in a car. Nothing special.

I'd have to say that I was let down when the 3/8 inch socket broke as I was assembling an office chair.
:rolf

lordairgtar
03-17-2008, 12:16 AM
I've run into some obscure stuff from time to time. I have some Williams tools that have held up pretty nice in the job.

lordairgtar
03-17-2008, 12:21 AM
http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/
Here's their webby

slow90z
03-17-2008, 01:58 AM
For air tools by ingersoll rand hands down. For impacts, get an IR titanium, best gun out there. It'll break damn near anything loose (or break it off). And the whole mac/matco/snap on vs craftsman argument, ill agree the prices are pretty rediculous, but i keep buying mac and matco stuff because i always seem to break the craftsman stuff, and bust my knuckles in the process. That and the stuff feels/works smoother and nicer. Its all in what youre doing with it, and how often you use it. Oh yeah, snap on screwdrivers are worth ever penny, they rock, anyways, im done with my tangent here. btw, im 20 and have prolly 12k in tools already, awsomeears is right its like free crack having the tool trucks come every week, but im trying to stop buying tools for a while, need to finish my car.

Breecher_7
03-17-2008, 05:39 AM
IR makes the air tools for alot of your "high end" companies. Its just not advertised that way.

IR is the way to go for air tools IMO.

USMARINE1108
03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Most of my stuff is Craftsman. I abuse them all the time and have had very few issues. Sears even replaced one of my screwdrivers because my dog chewed the end up.

jbiscuit
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Harbor Freight is Chinese-made garbage. I wouldn't buy any tools from them

Smokey1226
03-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Well im not sure on what the costs come out to but, my Mac guy is giving me the 50% discount. Just like the Snap On guys give the UTI/Tech guys discount. Maybe ill talk to him about what we can do. But i happend to check craigslist and there are a few mach. who are getting out and have 20k+ worth of tools. I figured maybe i would just buy a chest full of tools from them.

oneslowcamino
03-17-2008, 11:34 AM
As for as craftsman goes I don't mind their sockets and breaker bars, but I think that if you are going to be using tools every day (as a tech) I would go with mac, snap on, or matco. I had a IR titanium and I loved it so +1 for that. Also when it comes to boxes I wound never get a craftsman box for any thing other than home use. Because if I am going to spent $10k+ in tools I am not going to trust a $500 box, and craftsman boxes are pretty easy to brake into. I do have kind of a biased opinion because I am one of those tech students that gets 52% off.

Cryptic
03-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Craftsman hand tools and IR air stuff... I've had no issues

Moparjim
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Craftsman hand tools and IR air stuff... I've had no issues

Same here. I still have and regularly use many of the same Craftsman wrench, socket, and rachet sets that I bought about 15-20 years ago. That includes my own prolific work on my stuff, numerous jobs working at service stations and garages during college, and my side business...

Smokey1226
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Wheres a good place to buy IR stuff? I checked on Ebay/Their website but don't know of anywhere around here?

lasttimearound
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
sears

Jeff
03-17-2008, 03:06 PM
+100 for Sears, I would spend the extra money on impact sockets. I had a set from Harbor Freight and I had about 2 sockets explode of me, fortunate for me I was lucky both times, from now on the impact sockets are one thing I will not go the cheap route with IMO.

USMARINE1108
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
The Snap On truck comes to work every week (that's what the .mil uses). A few months back I asked if I could see his truck so he took me and a few guys on a tour. It was pretty cool, lots of nice stuff they carry around in those things. He gave me a sticker too. I felt like a kid walking out of the Dr's office with a lolly pop.

BoosTT
03-17-2008, 06:35 PM
kobalt is pretty good, I wouldn't rely on the life time warranty though. They might go out of business.

cheap80Z28
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
northern tools near hye 100 and bluemound used to sell the IR brand years ago when I worked for ultimate truck.

BoosTT
03-17-2008, 09:11 PM
farm and fleet also has IR

Reverend Cooper
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
you can have my whole set up to 13k the box and its loaded with snap on tools,multi meter torque wrenches every air tool you could want this thing is loaded. ask anyone thats been at my house and seen in the drawers. this is the real deal.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/sbr2005/CID__Photo001.jpg

Smokey1226
03-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Much more than i was looking to spend but thanks for the offer!

I talked to a few other guys today that are mech's and they all agreed that IR Ti. was the only way to go.

GinoRin
03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
you can have my whole set up to 13k the box and its loaded with snap on tools,multi meter torque wrenches every air tool you could want this thing is loaded. ask anyone thats been at my house and seen in the drawers. this is the real deal.
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/sbr2005/CID__Photo001.jpg

That's a killer setup. I'm trying to buy a second hand snap on box right now, (prolly not that nice) but some oif these guys want like 1500 bux for a 20 year old box! I know they last, but shit! Can anyone hookup the 52% discount? If thats the case I'll just buy a $5000 setup for $2500 :thumbsup

Smokey1226
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
My soon to be cousin had that deal, and i should of bought in. DAMMIT!!! He ended up with 14k worth of tools for 6,500 or something like that. He asked if i wanted to order some stuff but i had no extra cash.

oneslowcamino
03-18-2008, 11:47 AM
That's a killer setup. I'm trying to buy a second hand snap on box right now, (prolly not that nice) but some oif these guys want like 1500 bux for a 20 year old box! I know they last, but shit! Can anyone hookup the 52% discount? If thats the case I'll just buy a $5000 setup for $2500 :thumbsup

I would but, I can only buy one bottom box, one mid, and top. And I can only buy one of each idem like wrench sets and what not. With Matco they give us a $7000 max spending so like $14000 retail. Honestly the tool discount is one of the big reasons I went back to school.

Smokey1226
03-18-2008, 01:02 PM
atleast your honest right lol

Syclone0044
03-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Damn, if they can afford to offer a 52% discount on Snap On, what does that say about customers who pay full price? Sounds like they're getting "greased"!!

Satisfied Craftsman guy here (can't afford/justify Snap On anyway). I'll buy Harbor Freight for a few odds and ends where the quality doesn't really matter and you just want to get a job done once or twice. I would never buy ratchets or standard sockets from HF though.

oneslowcamino
03-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Snap on is like 50% but its only select items but its a pretty good selection, Matco is 52% on every thing but hand tools and air tools and thats like 30% and Mac is like the same way.