View Full Version : Pontiac to bring back RWD performance

Feature Pony
03-14-2008, 11:12 PM
AP
Pontiac Tries High-Performance Revival
Saturday March 15, 12:02 am ET
By Dee-Ann Durbin, AP Auto Writer
Pontiac Attempts a High-Performance Revival With 2 New Vehicles

DETROIT (AP) -- Pontiac wants to beef up its performance credentials with two new rear-wheel-drive vehicles that will debut at next week's New York International Auto Show, but the timing couldn't be worse as high gas prices test consumers' appetite for growling engines.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP upgrades the G8 sedan with a new 6.2-liter small-block V-8 engine that's rated at 402 horsepower. Pontiac says the G8 GXP will be able to go from zero to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds. The GXP also has a specially tuned suspension and an optional new six-speed manual transmission. The sedan will go on sale late this year.

Pontiac will also launch the 2010 Pontiac G8 sport truck, a two-seater built on the G8 platform with a 73-inch cargo bed. The sport truck has the same 361-horsepower, 6.0-liter V-8 used in the G8 GT sedan. It's expected in dealerships in late 2009.

"There's simply nothing else like the G8 sport truck on the road today, and we definitely believe that there are customers who will be excited by its distinctive design, performance and cargo capabilities," Jim Bunnell, general manager of Pontiac, Buick and GMC, said in a statement.

Pontiac plans to let consumers name the new sport truck in a monthlong contest on its Web site that ends April 15.

Both vehicles will be built in Australia by Holden, General Motors Corp.'s Australian subsidiary, which developed the new rear-wheel-drive architecture. The Pontiac G8, which went on sale this year, is a rebadged Holden Commodore.

Pontiac has been due for the kind of overhaul that's reinvigorating Cadillac and Buick. In New York three years ago, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz called Pontiac a damaged and undernourished brand and said GM's resources should be focused on healthier brands such as Hummer and GMC. Pontiac's U.S. sales have fallen by 31 percent since 2002, to 358,000 vehicles last year, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank.

The high-performance G8 family was supposed to help repair the brand, but a new federal law mandating increases in the corporate average fuel economy -- or CAFE -- could put up a roadblock. Aaron Bragman, an auto analyst with the consulting company Global Insight, now considers Pontiac the most at-risk of GM's eight brands.

"The renaissance was on the books, but it's basically been thrown into confusion with the new CAFE rules," Bragman said. "The future depends on what they can do with Pontiac. Can they make it a four-cylinder, turbocharged brand, or are Americans so set on it being the rumbly, rear-wheel-drive V-8 division that anything else is not going to fly?"

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said performance doesn't necessarily mean horsepower, but can also mean sporty handling in a crossover like the Vibe, which gets 36 miles per gallon on the highway.

"We will provide an appropriate level of performance in every segment in which we play, but that doesn't necessarily mean every car we have is going to be a rear-wheel-drive V-8," he said.

But Bragman suggests Pontiac's image as a sporty, high-performance brand also has been diluted by staid crossovers like the Vibe. Stand-alone Pontiac dealers have demanded such vehicles to ensure a full lineup, but Bragman said Pontiac needs freedom to concentrate on performance. That could happen as GM continues its push for dealers to offer Buick, GMC and Pontiac under one roof, he said.

Jack Nerad, executive market analyst for Irvine, Calif.-based Kelley Blue Book, said Pontiac's return to its performance roots is a positive step, but years of lukewarm vehicles have made the brand irrelevant to many consumers.

"They're on the brink of either great success or marginalization," Nerad said.

Hopson said when he joined Pontiac six years ago, many customers were angry at the brand for abandoning its performance heritage, which dates to the John DeLorean-designed 1964 Pontiac GTO muscle car. Hopson said he considered it positive that people were upset, and not just apathetic, about Pontiac.

"Pontiac has always been about style and performance. There have certainly been times that we've fulfilled that mission better than others," he said. "We're again getting the vehicles that fulfill that mission very clearly."

The New York show opens to the public Friday after two days of media previews.

I wonder if you have to check the oil at every gas fill up?

Silver350
03-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Why wont people let the el comino DIE! I know there is a guy on here that is fixing one up and I know another person that has on but god I cant stand the car trucks

lilws6
03-15-2008, 08:37 AM
i love the elcamino lol i supose its preference the 72' is by far my favorite i'de like to see what they come out with before i say the new one is cool

Z28Roxy
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
i love the elcamino lol i supose its preference the 72' is by far my favorite i'de like to see what they come out with before i say the new one is cool

Momma Roxy has a 72 el camino with a 350 crate motor, th350, and a shift kit :banana1:

lilws6
03-15-2008, 08:48 AM
mmmmmmmm.....:drool:

lordairgtar
03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Not saying Aussie cars are a bad thing, but why can't we produce our own version stateside. BTW, I love Aussie cars.

Poncho
03-15-2008, 11:34 AM
FYI, they all have displacement on demand.

the 6.0 cars are rated 362hp -- tuning for 93 octane should net just under 400hp (milder cam than 6.0 LS2, but better heads)

the 6.2 cars are rated 403hp -- tuning for 93 octane would bring it up to about 435hp, just like it's 6.2 LS3 counterpart, again, milder cam, better heads)

WickedSix
03-15-2008, 11:37 AM
hmmm need pics but I like the sporty utes from austrailia..... I'd probably buy one as I just can't seem to own a car :rolf

ND4SPD
03-15-2008, 12:32 PM
I kinda like the G8 GXP... I'm glad they're not killing it... yet.

Karps TA
03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
hmmm need pics but I like the sporty utes from austrailia.....

http://www.pontiac.com/newcars/

Crawlin
03-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Not saying Aussie cars are a bad thing, but why can't we produce our own version stateside. BTW, I love Aussie cars.

production costs. if you want to bring something this way, and have a perfectly good candidate in the GM family, then just ship it over here and save on the expense of trying to tool up a new plant

Breecher_7
03-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I saw a G8 yesterday with dealer plates on it. First one ive seen on the road.

Breecher_7
03-15-2008, 12:46 PM

I rented one of these in Townsville austrailia about 6 years ago. Granted it wasnt identical to this as it was a Holden. Pretty neat car.

Poncho
03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I rented one of these in Townsville austrailia about 6 years ago. Granted it wasnt identical to this as it was a Holden. Pretty neat car.

6 years about would have been the VY sub-generation, kinda like an '04 GTO truck.

Breecher_7
03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
6 years about would have been the VY sub-generation, kinda like an '04 GTO truck.

Exactly! The front end was very GTO ish..... Still really cool though and pretty quick.

WickedSix
03-15-2008, 05:35 PM

looks a bit bulky in the haunches but overall not bad

Karps TA
03-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Apparently Tuesday they are announcing another Pontiac "performance" car as well. Wonder what that will be?
Edit: I guess it's going to be a removeable hardtop Solstice. Ghey.

And a kinda cool commercial for the G8
http://www.fquick.com/blog/New_Pontiac_G8_Commercial_is_Frickin_Awesome/1447

lordairgtar
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Maybe they can do a Firebird. Why not! A few detail changes on the new Camaro and...

88Nightmare
03-15-2008, 06:44 PM
im hoping other things come out of this platform, like a new RWD impala? Id want one!

BadAzzGTA89
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
I like it like this!
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/Badazzgta89/El_Camino.jpg

88Nightmare
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
thats nice. I wish they would get rid of those tiny sliver quarter windows behind the doors. looks too ford-ish

Daytonapacecar959
03-15-2008, 09:10 PM
I saw a G8 yesterday with dealer plates on it. First one ive seen on the road.

I work in service At Brookfield and we got one in on Thursday,Gray color.

MSGTGT
03-15-2008, 09:11 PM
It will be nice to see Pontiac putting out some more American Muscle.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-15-2008, 09:33 PM
It would be nice if GM looked to the future and brought over some of their European fuel pinchers instead of all these worthless gas guzzlers from Australia that have no market in America.

A ute ? Come do they really need a SS-R redux ?
I mean I like HP and all that but the market is limited, keep the muscle cars to a select line of decent cars and dont overproduce and import all kinds of crap and drive the values of said limited market cars to the floor in the process of flooding the market with a bunch of bad stuff.

A market is never saturated with a good product, but it is very quickly saturated with a bad one. Henry Ford

Karps TA
03-15-2008, 09:58 PM
The SSR isn't a good comparison. The SSR was useless and over priced. This G8 Ute might actually bring a little interest if it's priced under $30K. It's not costing GM alot of money to bring it over here for a couple years and gives Pontiac something different which is a nameplate that is dying for a different product.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-15-2008, 10:21 PM
if it's priced under $30K.

Cannot see that happening.

It's not costing GM alot of money to bring it over here for a couple years.

Agree completely.

Alot of people would like Ford to bring over some of their hi-po sedans from Australia, and while the performance of these cars looks nice the cars themselves are ugly as sin.

Al
03-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Why wont people let the el comino DIE! I know there is a guy on here that is fixing one up and I know another person that has on but god I cant stand the car trucks

They sell in every country in the world except the US.

Karps TA
03-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Why wouldn't it cost under $30K? The G8 starts under $30K and this should be cheaper to make. In Australia it's priced cheaper.

Reverend Cooper
03-16-2008, 09:39 AM
el camaro's are where its at..........in mexico

Rocket Power
03-16-2008, 11:55 AM
So the cars to save Pontiac are either Austrailian or re-badged Matrix's like the vibe.....
It's time to kill it now:goof