PDA

View Full Version : squeeky alternator

88Nightmare
03-14-2008, 06:32 PM
how can I stop the squeek.... without having to rebuild it or buy a new one? There is no shaft play on it, it still has good power output, it just squeeks. And its an ear piercing annoying squeek. I've blasted the shaft with some crappy silicone spray, and it stops it for a day or two, but it comes right back. WTF can I do? Try something thicker, white lithium grease? Chassis grease? Butter? Any recommendations?

Deggy
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Had the same problem on my mom's Hyundai Santa Fe..No problems with the alternator, it would just squeek like you said so bad its just annoying. We tried anything that wouldn't damage it. We were using silicone spray for about 2 months then my mom just caved in and bought a new alternator. Maybe someone else has some suggestions...but you might just end up replacing it. What vehicle is it on?

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
You have two options, replace it or just replace it. You could rebuild it but it wouldn't be worth your time, just get a quality new one and call it a day.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Russ Jerome
03-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Confirm its the rear bearing or belt:

Hold a crayon on the belt while running (carefull now!), hold
it to the drive side of the belt that would touch the alt pulley.

Quiet down? If yes replace the belt and tentioner.
More than likely its just as noisy, replace the alt or have
it rebuilt. The rear bearing is a PITA to replace without
special tools. KJ or MJ in Butler are cost effective repairs.

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Never used a crayon before, does it wear off right away...???

Also, IF you are going to replace the belt and tensionser don't forget about the idler pulley.....

88Nightmare
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM

I dont get it. If the belt is squeeking, how would it stop squeeking with a crayon? also, I dont think its the belt because it goes away with a spray of lubricant directly onto the pulley shaft on the alternator

Deggy
03-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I think he means press against the belt with the crayon to tension it up?

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 08:15 PM
I dont get it. If the belt is squeeking, how would it stop squeeking with a crayon? also, I dont think its the belt because it goes away with a spray of lubricant directly onto the pulley shaft on the alternator

If you would rub the crayon on the ribbed part of the belt it would create a lubricating action and would stop the squeaking between the belt/alternator pulley.....

If the noise goes away when you spray something directly on the alternator (not getting anything on the belt) than it is the alternator.....

indyzmike
03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
You can also use water. Wet the alternator side of the belt with water somewhere away from the alternator. If the squeak stops, it's not the alternator.

Syclone0044
03-16-2008, 03:33 PM
KJ or MJ in Butler are cost effective repairs.

What's up with that place? Someone recommended them a few years ago here on BCM. I called up for some repair to the alternator on my Syclone (very common CS-130 alternator off many GM cars/trucks) and the guy I talked to would only talk about new alts at MSRP prices.... :rolleyes: :confused

I ended up going to a JUNK YARD in fuggin Kewaskum and buying a used alt for $40 and it's been the best alternator I've ever owned and raced.