PDA

View Full Version : Premium Gas Question...

BoosTT
03-14-2008, 04:27 PM
All right, you know how some gas stations have three different hoses for 87, 91, and 93 octane and some have only one hose? How much gas is in that hose? I'm usually pretty anal and only buy gas from the ones with three hoses. Am I wasteing my time?:confused

Ps. my car has been designed to run on 93, then remapped to run ONLY on at a minimum 93, not even 92.

Breecher_7
03-14-2008, 04:32 PM
:rolf Better not ever leave wisconsin, 93 isnt available everwhere at the pump.

What happens if you put 92 in it? It gonna blow up? :stare

Im anal about shit, but thats rediculous, i think your concerned about nothing and im pretty sure if you ran 92 in it you would be fine, it just may not run as well. :thumbsup

Lash
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Wowzers. I hope this isn't a daily driver.

Breecher_7
03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Wowzers. I hope this isn't a daily driver.

My 06 Vortec Max required premium... If I ran anything else it got SHIT gas milage. Fact is though, all lower octane fuel really did was affect my milage.

88Nightmare
03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
wow thats pretty anal. and not the good kind of anal either... ya know, the kind with a hot blonde and big titties. The fact is, there really isn't shit in the hose before you turn the pump on. If you are so concerned about it, BEFORE turning the pump on, point the nozzle down at the ground and squeeze it. You will find that just about nothing comes out. If its such a concern, add a bottle of octane booster with every fill up.

BoosTT
03-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, yeah, I understand the engine isn't going to die or anything. It's just completely designed for high octane. The idle is pretty bad with anything else in it. I've ran mid grade all day in my other cars that required 93.

I think there is gas in the hose, because it shuts off so quickly. IE: prepay.

88Nightmare
03-14-2008, 05:06 PM
so before ya turn it on, point the damn nozzle on the ground and squeeze the trigger. watch how nothing comes out

theavenger333
03-14-2008, 05:08 PM
all gas stations have whats called a Vapor Recovery system. the only gas left in the hose would be about a 1/2 cup at best. think of when you pull the gas gun out of the tank, and it dribbles... its about double that. the Vapor Recovery system supposidly helps as a vaccuum system, its a safety thing in case of fire. your car will not know the difference.

lordairgtar
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
That tiny bit of lower octane gas isn't going to matter once the fuel gets mixed up real good in the tank. Besides, most people are tipping the nozzle into their tank to get any leftover drops out of it so you wouldn't get any. There's about a cup and a half in most hoses anyway.

BoosTT
03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
tried it, you guys are right. cool.

T-Bag
03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Your car was not designed to run on 93.

It was probably designed to run on 91 as 93 isn't available in a lot of places outside of Wisconsin. The few dribbles left will not hurt your car.

Syclone0044
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
The actual octane of the so-called "93 octane" at the pumps probably represents a much greater risk than mixing the leftover dribbles of 87 in the single pump stations!

What kind of car and mods do you have?

I have run up to 27 PSI on 93 octane (w/alcohol injection) in my Syclone that I tune & run the hell out of, and haven't had any problems (not even a "bad tank of gas" that I can remember). I monitor Knock Retard very frequently so if I had a bad tank it should become apparent quickly.

WickedSix
03-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I was surprised when we moved here I was so use to seeing 87,89, and 91 at EVERY pump I used

BoosTT
03-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I always wondered who buys super americas 92 when you can get 93 at the same price.

Brian98GTP
03-16-2008, 05:11 PM
You're not even guaranteed that the fuel you're pumping into your car is going to be 93 octane anyways.

This guy I know drives a fuel tanker truck that delivers to gas stations all around SE WI. He said he had a tanker full of 87 octane and was doing a delivery in Milwaukee (in the core). The gas stations' underground tank of 87 octane became full, and there was still fuel left to be pumped (they probably buy a number of gallons AHEAD of time, not AS they pump it). This driver went in and asked "Habib", that owned it, what he wanted to do with this amount of left over gas, and he told the driver to pump it into the 93 octane tank!!! The driver called his boss, and the boss told him to go ahead and do it, so he did!! WTF!! :fire
I'll have to find out the details of what gas station and when this happened. This owner needs to get whats coming to him.:flipoff2:

I'd have told my boss to fvck off if he told me to go ahead and do it. This was the guys first month working for this company too.

Syclone0044
03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
They can get in serious shit for that, misrepresenting the quality of goods being sold, etc.

lordairgtar
03-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm sure "weights and measures" would be interested in that station.

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 06:02 PM
You're not even guaranteed that the fuel you're pumping into your car is going to be 93 octane anyways.

This guy I know drives a fuel tanker truck that delivers to gas stations all around SE WI. He said he had a tanker full of 87 octane and was doing a delivery in Milwaukee (in the core). The gas stations' underground tank of 87 octane became full, and there was still fuel left to be pumped (they probably buy a number of gallons AHEAD of time, not AS they pump it). This driver went in and asked "Habib", that owned it, what he wanted to do with this amount of left over gas, and he told the driver to pump it into the 93 octane tank!!! The driver called his boss, and the boss told him to go ahead and do it, so he did!! WTF!! :fire
I'll have to find out the details of what gas station and when this happened. This owner needs to get whats coming to him.:flipoff2:

I'd have told my boss to fvck off if he told me to go ahead and do it. This was the guys first month working for this company too.

+1 you really have to watch the Inner city stations. We get a detailed sheet about everything that comes to us, with the EXACT amounts an details of the detergents added, Winter Blend materials ect ect

And plus it helps knowing the Delivery company Owners as well as drivers very well. Most of them buy their personal fuel from us because they know they are getting exaclty what they put in the ground!

slickwilly
03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Off topic: I've been running 89 since I got the car a couple weeks ago, and I recently switched to 93 because the price is already outrageous and it's only two cents more. I took it out for a hard romp this afternoon and WOW did that thing wake up. I know some cars really don't notice a difference in grades, but the 5.0 definitely responds.

slickwilly
03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
They can get in serious shit for that, misrepresenting the quality of goods being sold, etc.
Yeah, and there's a service that goes around randomly testing gas stations for quality and pump accuracy.

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Another thing i wanted to point out that im not sure if it was already said is....

The most important thing that you need to know about Premium or even mid grade for that matter is...........How often does the station you fill up at get their loads? I know that there is a station in burlington that would get a load of Premium once a month IF THAT! So if you think about it, You really dont want to get fuel that has been sitting in the tanks underground for any more than 2 week or so. Because of the breather tubes the fuel is never completely sealed. So if you go into Milwaukee and fill up with some premium that has been in the ground for a month or so....you might be getting a fuel that is specing even less than 87oct points.

Cliff notes: Try to fill up at a station you know has good fuel, and one that you know is getting fuel loads on a very regular basis.

sacstoy02gt
03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
^^ just keep your 93 fresh for me. It's been treating me well and I'd like to keep it that way :)

88Nightmare
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Another thing i wanted to point out that im not sure if it was already said is....

The most important thing that you need to know about Premium or even mid grade for that matter is...........How often does the station you fill up at get their loads? I know that there is a station in burlington that would get a load of Premium once a month IF THAT! So if you think about it, You really dont want to get fuel that has been sitting in the tanks underground for any more than 2 week or so. Because of the breather tubes the fuel is never completely sealed. So if you go into Milwaukee and fill up with some premium that has been in the ground for a month or so....you might be getting a fuel that is specing even less than 87oct points.

Cliff notes: Try to fill up at a station you know has good fuel, and one that you know is getting fuel loads on a very regular basis.

best post in this thread. period. :headbang

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 08:38 PM
^^ just keep your 93 fresh for me. It's been treating me well and I'd like to keep it that way :)

Absolutely! We even upped our V power load because i knew you would be bringing that beast out to play this spring! :thumbsup Every 2 or 3 days we get more V Powaaa in.

There is a reason we are with shell and no one else.

T-Bag
03-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I love V-Power. I work at the shell in Butler so I just have to talk outside to get mine :P

Its most definitely the best gas here. That's pretty much all my GTP has seen other than a few out of town fillups.

slickwilly
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
The premium I started running is V power. What's the difference between that and "regular" premium?

Smokey: Where is your station? If I'm ever in the area I'll be sure to stop by and grab a few gallons.

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
V power is just Shell's name for their Premium. Extra detergents and what not.

Our station is in Wind Lake, Right by Kelly's Bleachers 2 bar.

Car Guy
03-16-2008, 10:58 PM
V power is just Shell's name for their Premium. Extra detergents and what not.

Do you think it's truly better than the rest...???

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 11:10 PM
im biased of course but its hard to say, we have seen tests versus the other competitors and its all pretty close. But again it all goes back to how fresh the fuel is and if they are truely putting "93oct" fuel into their Premium tanks! Like stated above i have heard of stories like that.

But if you put them all next to eachother, all fresh, its probably pretty damn close. I just chose V power because of its track record and because i know how often we get fuel deliveries.

A lot of guys of course would of said their fuel is the best, but thats not the kinda guy i am....i tell it how it is and to the best of my knowledge.

Car Guy
03-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Appreciate the honest answer, I just wish you were closer to me.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Smokey1226
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Why You want a hug? Im not shy :D

Al
03-17-2008, 12:14 AM
All right, you know how some gas stations have three different hoses for 87, 91, and 93 octane and some have only one hose? How much gas is in that hose? I'm usually pretty anal and only buy gas from the ones with three hoses. Am I wasteing my time?:confused

Ps. my car has been designed to run on 93, then remapped to run ONLY on at a minimum 93, not even 92.

You belong on the VW Vortex forum. This question comes up about once every few weeks.

Just don't worry about it. The difference between 87 and 93 is quite subtle at the molecular level. The majority of the constituents are the same anyway.

Larrygto
03-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey guys as long as were talking gas, When do they switch from Winter to Summer blend? I'm going to need a tune soon and would like to have it tuned with the gas I'll be using all summer.
If it makes any difference?

Smokey1226
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I will find that answer out very shortly, they might possibly have already switched but i will find out for sure.

Larrygto
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I will find that answer out very shortly, they might possibly have already switched but i will find out for sure.
Thanks!!

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Cars these days have sensors that retard timing when it senses engine knock. In most cars that require premium gas, you could run it on 87 and it'll be fine under normal driving conditions. If you're going to drive it hard then you'll probably lose performance.

My daily driver requires premium and I've spaced out a couple times and filled it with 87. It was fine but I never drive it hard or even rev it past 3200rpm anyways. No loss in gas mileage either. Now in my Trans AM, I'd never think of putting anything except 93 in it but that's because I'm anal as hell about that car--I'm sure it'd be fine though.

Think of all the cheap skates and dopes out there that don't even know how to put air in the tires let alone remember to put premium in their car. If car manufacturers didn't account for those people then they'd have problems.

If you start hearing knock then that'd be something to worry about but that sure as hell isn't going to happen from a cup of 87 that's still in the hose.