PDA

View Full Version : GNC Supplements, anyone know anything about them?

badass88gt
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I was in the local GNC to grab some vitamins and got to talking to the dude behind the counter about Protein, Nitric Oxide, etc. He recommended me to use these 2 supplements, the Vapor before working out and the Wheybolic 60 stuff post-workout. Any opinions?

Vapor:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2827239&cp=2325087&pg=2&parentPage=family

Wheybolic 60:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2615315&cp=2522433

70 cutlass 442
03-13-2008, 11:57 PM
my brother uses the wheybolic i think. seems to work for him

floaters
03-14-2008, 12:10 AM
http://www.hgh9.com/
the only way to go

PureSound15
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Man supplements is a conversation that can be held for weeks...

First off... do not buy anything from GNC. My roommate works there and might possibly be the only employee I have ever met at GNC that knows a lot about supplements and what they do, he's the first to admit most of the employees are less than awesome.

Second.. Don't buy anything from GNC, stick with www.allstarhealth.com or www.bodybuilding.com the prices are usually 40% cheaper or more.

Vapor is a good arginine product, but it's pretty intense compared to some of the others. I'm trying controlled labs "white flood" right now and would take it before cycling onto vapor again any day of the week. It's cheaper as well.

The wheybolic is fine, I've used it before.

What supplements have you taken before? The GNC guy is going to tell you to try vapor because he gets paid a $6 spiff to sell it. Protein, multi-vitamin and creatine are the first 3 things you should think about.

badass88gt
03-14-2008, 01:44 AM
I havent taken anything yet for liquid supplements. I just started working out about 5-6 weeks ago, I have been taking a One-A-Day mens multivitamin, I also take calcium/magnesium/zinc tablets and a garlic pill called Kyolic.

Cryptic
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I highly recommend this energy drink (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs)

HP ADDICT
03-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I would go to natural high for supplements. They are local and way cheaper. Nano vapor is pretty go pre workout. Might also consider white flood. I would get a good creatine such as Size on, a good protien, then a preworkout like nano vapor if you need more energy at the gym.

twirkin50
03-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Man supplements is a conversation that can be held for weeks...

First off... do not buy anything from GNC. My roommate works there and might possibly be the only employee I have ever met at GNC that knows a lot about supplements and what they do, he's the first to admit most of the employees are less than awesome.

Second.. Don't buy anything from GNC, stick with www.allstarhealth.com or www.bodybuilding.com the prices are usually 40% cheaper or more.

That is the truth right there!!!! I can't believe the prices GNC has compared to online. There are a ton of supplement companies online, so just search what you are looking for.

www.saveonsupplements.com
www.dpsnutrition.com
www.easypricematch.com
www.a1nutrition.com

Do you live in the Milwaukee area or travel here often? If so, find the best deal online and see if it is priced lower then the ezpricematch site. That is natural high's site that is located on 71st and Greenfield. If you find a lower price, print the sheet out and take it in and they will match the online price.
They have pretty much everything in their store.

A newer company that is out with a ton of great products is scivation.

www.scivation.com

If you click on "scivation books" at the bottom of the page they have some books written by different bodybuilders. All of the books are free to download and have a lot of great diet, supplement, and workout info.

Good luck!:thumbsup

PureSound15
03-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Do you live in the Milwaukee area or travel here often? If so, find the best deal online and see if it is priced lower then the ezpricematch site. That is natural high's site that is located on 71st and Greenfield. If you find a lower price, print the sheet out and take it in and they will match the online price.
They have pretty much everything in their store.

I didn't know that! Thanks man.

Another note... if you read BodyBuilding.com forums, don't believe much that you read. A lot of the pople on there are teenagers who are taking every supplement that they can find, and praising all of them. Or, there are reps for the supplement companies on there that of course praise their product.

There are a few good sources, and the logged reviews of products are reputable, but there's a ton of stuff that I would read before any of that.

Are you looking to build muscle or lose weight? Of course more muscle = more fat loss, but that's another conversation as well.

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Are you looking to build muscle or lose weight? Of course more muscle = more fat loss, but that's another conversation as well.

Is there a big debate on that...??? To me it seems fairly straght forward as far as more muscle = more fat loss is concerned.....

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

Cryptic
03-14-2008, 02:04 PM
muscle mass takes calories to maintain... more mass more calories burned.

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 02:10 PM
muscle mass takes calories to maintain... more mass more calories burned.

What is the key to loosing all possible extra weight plus toning up at the same time...???

domokun
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
2 things

first ) HGH is all fake here in the states. ( pills, liquids etc ) the real HGH is illegal to use in the states

second ) dont buy anything from GNC goto www.nathigh.com they are located at

6029 W. National Ave.

West Allis, WI 53214

(888)674-3678

(414)777-0077

and they will match ANY price ( via store or via internet )

thats where I get everything that I need. I save about 200-300 a month going there.

VroomPshhTsi
03-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm kind of on a weight gainer, nothing too serious... I only take it after lifting (2-3 times a week), I lifted yesterday for the first time in over 3 months (broke my arm)... I'm no supplement expert but I like what I'm on... I'm only 5'9" and 148 (I know that's small, shutup) but before I broke my arm I was at 155. My goal is 160 but I'm not desperate to get it, I still run 2 times a week and stay active. I'm just a skinny bastard trying to put on a few quality pounds.

VroomPshhTsi
03-14-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm sure valiant has more info on this stuff *waits for him to chime in*...

PureSound15
03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Very true, I'm sure valiant knows a whole wealth of information about this stuff.

I've been lifting seriously for quite a while. I wrestled at 140 in High school at 5% body fat, I'm not at 220 right around 10% (I'll begin cutting cycle in 2 weeks). I've tried a ton of stuff, from what my roommate brings home from GNC and whatever else.

I don't believe there is a debate on whether or not more muscle burns more calories, it's a fact. BUT that does decide what kind of program you're going to run. I lift heavy every day, 2 rest days every week (I do an hour of cardio instead), and get atleast 4000 calories and 220 grams of protein every day from whatever source, beef if possible.

Just going off creatine, I'll probably lose 10 lbs just from water retention too. I'm sure I don't know as much as Prince Valiant, but I definitely do my research on everything I do and take.

twirkin50
03-14-2008, 04:19 PM
What is the key to loosing all possible extra weight plus toning up at the same time...???

75% Nutrition and Diet
15% Cardio
10% Workouts

Aim for 2500 calories per day. Most of your calories should come from high quality protein sources (chicken, eggs, fish, beef)

Eat a handful of almonds with every meal for essential fats.

Learn to like broccoli and asparagus for your vegetable source

Eat your carbs during your earlier meals. Oatmeal, sweet potatoes

5-6 or 6-7 small portioned meals every 2-3 hours throughout the day.

LOTS of water!!!!!

20-30 minutes of low intensity cardio following your workouts. 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio on non-weight days.

twirkin50
03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Just going off creatine, I'll probably lose 10 lbs just from water retention too. I'm sure I don't know as much as Prince Valiant, but I definitely do my research on everything I do and take.

I always found it funny how the "kids" in the gym would always be like, "I just put on like 15lbs this last month from taking creatine!" "I am getting huge!!!"

Then right after they stop taking it they drop all that weight and are all confused as to what happened. Creatine = Water Retention.

Yes, it will increase strength and stamina, but short term. Taking Glutamine on a regular basis with a quality protein will do much better in the long run.

VroomPshhTsi
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
it seems everytime there's a topic like this (or anything with nutrition) there's always someone who posts "everything you have posted is wrong, you are all stupid, I know all", if that is all you have to say please don't post kthanks

twirkin50
03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Not sure which post you are referring to, but I am sure anyone would agree that GNC is not the place to go for nutrition or workout advice. So that post was correct.

Prince Valiant
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm sure valiant has more info on this stuff *waits for him to chime in*...

Very true, I'm sure valiant knows a whole wealth of information about this stuff.

Thanks for the props guys...but I'm sure my answer won't be popular, so I wasn't going to even try:

I'm not a big fan of supplements from anyone. I'd argue that stores like GNC/vitamin shoppe/herbal life/etc shouldn't even have a market to exist in. Not that there isn't a need for any supplements...it's just that it's grossly overstated.

Very well controlled, double-blind studies suggest most claims made are quite "embelished"...sadly, there are very few well controlled studies, and countless poor ones. Instead, testimonials, IE completely unreliable anecdotal evidence rule the day in the industry as a whole (unreliable because we often rely on how we "feel" about a product, give it undue credit or overcredit the product's effect, pyschological investment [we want it to work] in a product causes us to look for improvement if there was none, or overstate that improvement).

There is a funny Simpson episode in which Homer refuses to eat anything that is not in "bar form"...the nutty-ness of that statement and the individuals who more or less practice it and similar "fads" in the nutrition industry pretty much sums it up for me.

There is a radio show on sundays on 1130 WISN...comes out of Mexico I believe, by some chiropractor who runs a scam cancer hospital (hospice is more accurate) and his company sells suplements, although different than what you guys would be looking for. But anyways, if you listen to all the thing he tells his callers, and all the stuff he recommends and list as "critical" and the why's and how's of why these individuals need this stuff, I swear we should all be dropping dead left in right due to malnutrition since appearently all of our food leaves out some 20 or so "critical" elements needed for a normal functioning life. Seriously, I'm surprised I'm still alive....thank God this guy sells the stuff for 20-50 dollars a bottle (but it's super pure, and absorbable!) for a two months supply. Trust me, best 200 bucks a month I'm spending! :rolleyes:

^sadly, this is how the nutrition/supplement industry opperates too....

...and there are many bodybuilders who swear by the stuff (anecdotal/testimonial), sure...but come on, they say that stuff is there "secret ingredient", the "key that unlocked their full potential"?!? Right... (hint, hint, wink, wink....I'm talking steroids hint, hint).

Even the eating rituals that are advanced...used to be eat once a day, now 5-7x a day, soon it'll be twice a day, and someday it'll be 15x/days. And everytime, there are rational reasons to follow this prescription and they'll find all sorts of adherents that swear it's the only way and just look at them for their proof.

I think part of the reason for all the confusion is due to the fact that in order to be *IT* (supplement, nutritionist, personal trainer, etc) you need to be *different*. And then when there is a new different, others need to quickly fall in line with the new different. And then when different gets old, a new different *IT/WAY/PRODUCT/TECHNIQUE* comes along and "revolutionizes" everything...keeping old people into the fray, trying to win new converts/customers. There has always got to be some "hot new revolutionary product that'll make you into a men's health cover model and this is finally the key you need to be the man you always wanted to be" type product out there.

So what's my long winded answer saying? Work out regularly, give yourself variety, eat a varied diet, and no...you really don't need to spend the 40-60, or even 19 bucks for either product.

VroomPshhTsi
03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I wasn't referring to anyone's previous post, just a warning for future posts, that wasn't in reference to anyone in particular

Car Guy
03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
75% Nutrition and Diet
15% Cardio
10% Workouts

Aim for 2500 calories per day. Most of your calories should come from high quality protein sources (chicken, eggs, fish, beef)

Eat a handful of almonds with every meal for essential fats.

Learn to like broccoli and asparagus for your vegetable source

Eat your carbs during your earlier meals. Oatmeal, sweet potatoes

5-6 or 6-7 small portioned meals every 2-3 hours throughout the day.

LOTS of water!!!!!

20-30 minutes of low intensity cardio following your workouts. 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio on non-weight days.

Most of those I'm doing pretty good with, and I LOVE broccoli like no other.....:headbang

I thought carbs were bad for you, what is HIIT, and what about low-medium intensity cardio BEFORE a workout...???

Thanks for responding.....

HP ADDICT
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
HIIT is high intensity interval training i believe

twirkin50
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I thought carbs were bad for you, what is HIIT, and what about low-medium intensity cardio BEFORE a workout...???

Nope, Carbs are good for you but it is all about timing. A cup of whole oats in the morning is a great way to start the day. Carbs earlier in the day and before a workout are fine, but avoid them later in the day and at night.

You will still get some carbs as well eating broccoli and vegetables with meals.

As for cardio, you really want to do low intensity after you workout. Doing cardio before for 20-30 min will effect your lifting and tire you out sooner unless you are doing it in the mornings. After a good intense workout, your body will be ready to burn some additional fat with low intensity cardio for 20-30 min with your heart rate around 135bpm.

HIIT - High intensity interval training. Awesome way to burn fat and get a great cardio workout on your non-lifting days. What has worked for me and may not for others, but I start on the treadmill and walk for about 5 min to warm up at about 3.8-4mph incline at .5 or 1. Then I will bump the speed up to 7.5-8mph and run at that pace for about 1-2 min, then I will drop it back down to 4mph for 1 min walk and start the process all over for 30 minutes. I can barely walk when I am done. It did take a couple weeks to make it a full 30 min.

Dieting and working out takes time and dedication. If it was easy everyone would be in great shape.

Also, the biggest killer to any hard work when dieting = Alcohol. :alcoholic

Even drinking in moderation, drinking wine, or cutting calories during the day to account for a night of drinking will still mess with your metabolism and effect your gains.

Anything else let me know.:thumbsup

Want_Notch
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
This is Dave (Twirken)

LOL
http://a134.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/27/l_29521964fe99b18941e20b9a336c0e0d.jpg

Yooformula
03-16-2008, 12:04 AM
for your size and build try natural before you reach for supplements. I am quite sure you havent even peaked yet in terms of dieting and exercising and by going for supplements this soon you arent doing your body any favors. Stick to the basics: rest, diet, good hard training. weight gainers are a joke, dont waste the money, if you have to supplement, protein and multi vitamins only imo.

dr doom
03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
"Supplements" makes you not "natural"?

That statement isn't true.

Depending on goals, there certain things to take that will help you get there.

My current supplement cycle is:
Whey protein
Multi vitamin
Fish oil
Gluecosamine Sulfate
KRE- AKlyn (creatine)
Nitrix (arginine based product)
Cytosport Fast Twitch

My goals are to bring my body fat % down below 10% and to preserve as well as gain size.

Heres some insight for you on supplementation. First off you DON'T have to use them. But results come much fast with them. Supplements are not steroids. I do agree weight gainers are a joke. Supplements wont make an out of shape person look like the body builders in the magazines that most people read. And by out of shape it doesn't mean just people with excessive body fat, it goes for people that are thin as well. There are a lot of things that go into training. First and for most is mind set, if you don't have the right mind set there isn't a supplement or a workout thats gonna help you gain anything. Second is a good diet. That means very well balanced meals, eating carbohydrates, protein, and fats at the right time of that day. Once you have those two things then you are ready to start training. During training you have to reach a level of intensity and concentration. The more intense and concentrated you are the more training will be beneficial. Now back to supplements, I wouldn't waste my money at GNC. Natural High is where I go. They price match anything on the internet. As far as what the post starter was looking at, there are some cheaper and better alternatives. Instead of vapor try Cytosport Fast twitch. And for whey Ive tried a lot of different companies and what I have found time and time again is that optimum nutrition gold standard whey work best. I could go on for another hour about this subject, but if you any questions feel free to PM me.

I hope this will help some people out.:thumbsup

Yooformula
03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
supplements are not needed for the average person. and last time I checked they are usually made in labs therefore not "naturally occuring" and IMO shouldnt be an intergral part of a newbie's diet. we can debate this all year long online but you need to sit down with someone to get a good diet and workout regimine put together based on your current body and fitness level. most people take supplements as an edge to ASSIST them in getting to their goals but too many people rely heavily on them.

I love watching people max out one week then 2 weeks later cant do the same weight because they cycled off of their creatine bomb blend. build the base first with a good real diet, if you were fighting for few % of body fat to lose then I could see that but really the average person should focus on their diet, rest and work outs and less on dumping cash out the window on every powder thrown in a box.

back to the person that started the thread asking about a specific supplement. wtf is the stuff he is asking about? what part of this is natural and needed by a newbie???? this is in addition to sodium and sugar as ingredients.

naNO Vapor™ Proprietary Blend 22031.00 mg **
Intravol (Muscle Cell Volumizing Complex) **
Vasoprime (Nitric Oxide Amplification Matrix) **
NeuroAMP (Psychoactive Signaling Intensity Catalyst) **
Anaphex (Anabolic/Anti-Catabolic Signaling Complex) **
Infernogen (Lipid Ingerno Fusion) **
MyoGF (Growth Complex) **

twirkin50
03-16-2008, 02:38 PM
most people take supplements as an edge to ASSIST them in getting to their goals but too many people rely heavily on them.

Very well said. :thumbsup

I take whey protein to assist in getting a high quality protein meal at busy times in the day and before / after a workout.

I take multi vitamins to keep my immune levels up from all the stress working out puts on the body.

I take fish oil to aid in essential fatty acids.

I take glucosamine / msm because I am getting older and my joints like the stuff.

Biggest key is sticking to a healthy diet. I don't need the water weight ups and downs anymore so I avoid creatine.

Form over function anyday. Check your ego at the door before you start lifting or you will risk injury on a daily basis.

twirkin50
03-16-2008, 02:40 PM
This is Dave (Twirken)

LOL
http://a134.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/27/l_29521964fe99b18941e20b9a336c0e0d.jpg

Thanks Mike!

PureSound15
03-16-2008, 03:16 PM
most people take supplements as an edge to ASSIST them in getting to their goals but too many people rely heavily on them.

Good point, meathead. :goof