PDA

View Full Version : That didn't take Sony long

Karps TA
03-13-2008, 06:28 PM
New data shows that the price of Blu-ray players has been in an upward trend since HD DVD's demise.

The data from pricegrabber.com that shows the average price of a given player for a given time.

TG Daily collected the data, which shows an upward trend in price for Blu-ray players.

On January 1st 2008 (Before Warner chose Blu-ray) the average price of a Panasonice DMP-BD30K player was $401. On March 2nd it was up at $495. The Sony BDP-S300 shows a similar trend with a January price of $307 and a March price of $386. Many of the players were also sold with free Blu-ray movies in January but these offers has ended as well.

The only Blu-ray players that seem to have fallen in price in the period are DUO players (that play both HD DVD and Blu-ray discs) from Samsung and LG.

Sony apparently feels there no longer any competition so why bother keeping prices low on the Blu Ray players.

Good thing the consumers now only have one choice. That's working out much better for us :rolleyes:

That_Guy
03-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Ps3 Ftw!

Prince Valiant
03-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Yeah! They should be GIVING us the stuff (like those free blu-ray DVD incentives) since we helped kill off HD-DVD. Where's their corporate responsibility?

I don't fault them. You don't have to buy a blu-ray, you know? Trust me, they want your money more than they want blu-ray players.

Karps TA
03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
My point was that people looked at the "format war" being over as a positive. And in reality having competition is almost always a positive. And those free BR DVD incentives are over with as well.

The only thing keeping Blu Ray prices down was HD DVD being a reasonably priced alternative.

But to Sony's credit if that what it takes to sell PS3's good for them.

Rocket Power
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Luckily they'll be cheap by the time I step up to HD. I am currently too cheap to do so :goof

CobaltSSTuner
03-13-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a ps3 so i'm really not worried

T-Bag
03-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Got my cheapo PS3 so i'm set :)

CobaltSSTuner
03-13-2008, 11:47 PM
exactly!

Neal Steffek
03-14-2008, 04:32 AM
What does Sony have to do with what Panasonic prices there players at? Thats right, NOTHING! All you anti sony fan boys are idiots and have no clue on how the industry really works.

Some of you people should see the moron posts on AV forums and the such.