PDA

View Full Version : New toy in Garage!

BoosTT
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Just setup my Kobalt 42" stainless toolbox last weekend and finally got around to getting a picture. I like it a lot. The entire setup, lines, covers, tax, 3 year warranty, ect was $950 :thumbsup. They are discontinueing the stainless toolboxes and replaceing it with some crap simular to harbor freight. It was a PITA to find both the top and bottem.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/jakejagmin/IMAGE_186.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/jakejagmin/IMAGE_188.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/jakejagmin/IMAGE_183.jpg

That_Guy
03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
yeah they make some decent tools correct me if im wrong but i believe they are also made in america.

i also believe they are made by snap-on

CobaltSSTuner
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
thats awesome!!! Now i need to get a kobalt tool chest :)

Deggy
03-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I got a small Snap-on one ill sell you. Its only a 6 drawer.

And congrats on the purchase, looks good!

slickwilly
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Wow, pretty good deal. Looks sharp too. But way too organized! :D

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Stainless ? :thumbsup

Deggy
03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
yeah they make some decent tools correct me if im wrong but i believe they are also made in america.

i also believe they are made by snap-on

I think Kobalt is made by Craftsman.

You are thinking of Blue Point, that is an off brand of Snap-on

BoosTT
03-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Kobalt was made by the exact same company as snap on untill 2 years ago. I can't remember who makes them now, but (most) of their tools are made in the usa.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I think Kobalt is made by Craftsman.

You are thinking of Blue Point, that is an off brand of Snap-on

no he is right. snap on introduced the "kobalt" line in the late 90s.

as for the blue point line, you are too correct. snap on uses that name for crap that is made overseas.

Here's some interesting tidbits about tools:

Lowes sells a line of mechanics tools called Kobalt which is made by Snap-On. Even though Snap-On makes Kobalt, they are of different designs, different material and are heat treated differently. Home Depot's Husky brand is made by Stanley Mechanics Tools, a division of the Stanley Works. Husky tools are also good and have a good lifetime warranty (they'll even replace your broken Craftsman with an equivalent Husky). Up until 1994 or so, Stanley also made Sears Craftsman tools. Sears Craftsman is now made by Danaher Tools. Danaher also manufactures MatCo Tools, the third largest player in the Mobile Automotive industry (behind MAC and Snap-On). Stanley also owns MAC Tools and manufactures MAC tools in the same plants. MAC Tools, Proto Tools (a very expensive industrial brand), Husky Tools, and, (prior to 1994) Craftsman Tools are all made at the same plants. Proto is unique because it goes through addtional testing and certification because it is used by NASA, the military, and industrial customers (including General Motors). There are other minor players in the tool business here in the USA, but Stanley, Danaher, and Snap-On are the three biggest.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Kobalt was made by the exact same company as snap on untill 2 years ago. I can't remember who makes them now, but (most) of their tools are made in the usa.

i thought i heard that snap on unloaded it, but i cannot find who makes them now either. if i remember right snap on actually sued lowes because they tried to use the snap on name in advertising.

one thing i must say is that tools have come a long way. granted i still dream about a complete snap on set, or a garage full of mac or matco tools, but the retail lines are pretty decent. i bought a complete set of husky professionals and i love them. i beat the crap out of them things and i have not broken anything. about the only ***** is that they are black and they do scuff up. craftsmen pros are strong as hell and are a great value, and the kobalt line is doing well, especially the air tools! it is a good time for the tool buyer. look back 10 years and what was out there besides the high price stuff or craftsmen?

Z28Roxy
03-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I wanted to find some bulky Kobalt jackstands but couldn't.

I do have a couple of vice grips made by them and they're very high quality (at least compared to what I'm used to - most of my stuff is craftsman).

Anyway, congrats on the toolbox.

jbiscuit
03-13-2008, 07:43 AM
snap-on does not make Kobalt tools....competitors through and through

GRAMPS SS
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
thats awesome!!! Now i need to get a Cobalt fix it tool chest :)