PDA

View Full Version : Where to live? Help? Long.

wrath
03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
So, I'm new to the area... moved here 7 months ago. I've been seriously watching the real estate market since November.

I guess, really, I'm looking for advice on which neighborhoods to stay away from. At this point I'm not really looking for a suburban house. Mostly because I don't like the suburban wasteland. And I can't afford the cost of a house in the country and to commute.

I'm getting pretty desperate and frustrated.

Where I work:
I work on Ridgeview Parkway in Pewaukee (just off 94 between F and 164). I'd like to stay within 20 minutes of work. I don't want to live west of Highway 83. I'd like to be a tolerable distance from Milwaukee as my girlfriend might end up working there someday.

What I've got to spend:

I'm limiting myself to ~$1400/month including taxes and mortgage payment. So, that basically means a $150,000 house in Wauwatosa or a $180,000 house in Waukesha county. I still own a home in Michigan and if you think things are rough here... take a look at Michigan. I'm going to be sitting on it for a while and I'd rather wait to buy so I can buy a little more expensive house/neighborhood... but I'm tired of living in an apartment. I'm pissing $1050+utilities down the drain. I'd rather be giving it to a bank in interest. I'm willing to spend a little more if it's "the perfect house".

What I hope for:

Ideally, I'd like to have a semi-safe neighborhood. I, personally, don't care but my girlfriend is a little paranoid. While there is no concealed carry in Peoples Republic of Cheese around the home issues can be solved with a 12 gauge and square shot. I'd like to be able to leave shit in the back of a truck overnight and it be there in the morning.

I'd like a location that has a walkable destination like a grocery store. I don't want to feel like I have to get in a car to go somewhere to walk the dog.

I'd like somewhere I can park my crap and not have people complain. I have a 84 K10, a 87 mud truck, and a 20' car hauler... plus daily drivers. A garage would be nice because I'd keep the "eyesore" (mud truck) inside. Where I lived before no one cared about my junk because I had the nicest well-kept yard in the 'hood.

I'd like a decent-sized garage... or room to put up my own garage (ideally 24x30). Brookfield seems to be pretty strict about outbuildings.

I'd like a yard that I can fence for the dog. Or an area I can fence. So Brookfield and their "no chain-link fence" doesn't excite me.

I want an area that I'm not going to lose money on. I'm not necessarily looking for a "hot" area, I just want to stay away from downward spirals.

I'd prefer an unmolested house. IE: I don't want one that's been fixed up in the last ten years. No offense to anyone or anything but there are some serious fscking hackjobs around here.

Where I've been looking:

Waukesha: We live on University in Waukesha. We know most of it pretty well. We don't want to live in East Waukesha south of the river since it seems to be in a downward spiral.

West Allis: High taxes have kept our looking here pretty low.

Delafield: A little too soccer mommish and jesus freakish but we're still watching.

Pewaukee: A bit of a clusterfsck of a town but not too bad. A bit inconvenient to get to Milwaukee from. A lot of bible thumpers here and it seems what isn't run down to headache-level costs an arm and a leg.

Brookfield: Cheapest stuff here is at my financial limits. No fences. Not sure if they'd take kindly to my fleet. Strict outbuilding rules kind of scare me. Property values will never go down. Nice walking and if you pick wisely you can walk to the store.

Menomonee Falls: A bit of a hike to anywhere if you don't live in the actual village. All the neighborhoods we looked at seem kind of dumpy. I think it might be a side-effect of it not being as strict as Brookfield. The only time people seem to clean up their house/yard is when they try to sell it. My girlfriend wrote "I'd rather shoot myself in the head than live here" on more printouts here than anywhere else.

New Berlin: Rough commute to anywhere both in time and road conditions. Can't seem to find anything we like. If we find a house we like it's next to a business of some sort.

Elmbrook: Too Fscking Expensive for a bunch of polished turds.

Wauwatosa: Don't know enough about this place but it has our attention again. Seems like $150-180k gets you a run-of-the-mill crap cod with a nice garage in a decent neighborhood. Northern 'tosa seems to be in the process of being infiltrated... and tons of houses are for sale there. I'm finding a lot of houses I like in the 115th street area but I'm not sure about the 'hood. Seems like the "village" area/72nd street is the sweet spot. Definitely don't want to live anywhere near the perimeter to the north and east.

List of houses we've looked at:
http://www.wrath.com/hunting/houses.html

Things between the parenthesis that looks like this (55/100) is the walkscore.com number.
The first amount to the right is what it is listed for. If there is an arrow (->) that means the price has lowered.
Some houses I have tax data for.

JC70SS
03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Here is my take...
At your range Brookfield, Delafield is out. Too expensive and if your GF is going to work downtown save up for gas $$. I would focus on Tosa, West Allis or New Berlin. Anything you find in Brookfield in your range is going to have problems with it or 90 yr old people living in it with serious renovation needs. I would look around Greenfield park area or north end of New Berlin. As far as the "SHA" I am not real familiar.

Pewaukee north of Capitol around Springdale is nice. My friend just bought there.

Want_Notch
03-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Hartland. But you're going to need to be in the 200k-250k range at least.

Housing isn't as crazy as Delafield yet. Great school district. Decent taxes.

jbiscuit
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Stallis
New Berlin
maybe Muskego? (a bit farther drive but some nice homes)

I live is West Allis and the taxes suck but if you find the right home, you can get a big lot where you can build a nice sized garage on it at some point...their rule is 1000 sq ft building max and the home's sq footage and the out buildings total can't be over 40% of your lot sq footage....Stallis is close to everything, nice older homes can be had for a fair price in need of some elbow grease (and some that don't). Muskego has a lot of nice ranch homes with nice sized lots. Better taxes also. New Berlin is the same.

BoosTT
03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I live in delafield and drive to down town milwaukee. its about 35 minutes in BAD traffic (ie: 430pm). I love it here, lots to do every weekend. Mostly businessmen in dress shirts and stuff though, so if you don't like that you may not fit in at the local fest's and stuff.

Yellow2k1vette
03-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Sussex, Merton, or town of Lisbon (all the area surrounding Sussex).

Cryptic
03-12-2008, 07:10 PM
New Berlin: Rough commute to anywhere both in time and road conditions. Can't seem to find anything we like.

I kinda disagree with this.

I'm a couple blocks from hwy 43 & layton, 1.5 miles from 894 and Beliot, and 3 or 4 miles from hwy 94 and Moreland. Seems like it doesnt take more than 15 minutes to be anywhere around Milw.

CobaltSSTuner
03-12-2008, 07:20 PM
New Berlin is a pretty good area. I worked in that area and my grandma lives in new berlin. Its really not that bad.

I live in delafield and drive to down town milwaukee. its about 35 minutes in BAD traffic (ie: 430pm). I love it here, lots to do every weekend. Mostly businessmen in dress shirts and stuff though, so if you don't like that you may not fit in at the local fest's and stuff.

True that! 430 is a bad time to be by SS where it goes from 3 lanes to 2.

wrath
03-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, Mukwonago/Muskego/West Bend are too far from where I work. It takes bloody forever to get from Super Walmart to our apartment, it's 32 miles. Work is only 4 miles from me. And we only do this at night (~8pm or later) so traffic is perfect.

My girlfriend currently works in Sussex but I doubt she'll be there forever. It's 11 minutes north of where I work. Being near 43 south of Waukesha isn't really an option. New Berlin, for stuff that's affordable, is a long ways away (or it seems that way). In my links I have the houses we looked at in New Berlin. I kind of liked this one (http://www.shorewest.com/vp/ListingServlet?cd_MLS=998795&SITE=SHOREW&ScreenID=LISTING_DETAIL_P&mapvars=minx%3D-88.1586386009796%26miny%3D43.00785724891%26maxx%3D-88.0970447834797%26maxy%3D43.0694510664099%26lp_lo w%3D0%26lp_high%3D200000%26beds_low%3D0%26baths_lo w%3D0%26p_type%3DSingle%20Family%20Residential%26w f%3D%26s_layer%3D998795) even though it only has a 1 car garage and is a bit spendy.

Poncho
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Menomonee Falls/Germantown?

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm looking for a house too and have checked out some of the same ones you have listed. I'm looking for a home in an area that is safe and I won't have to worry about leaving my car out overnight if I had to or leaving the garage door open while I'm in the back yard. It seems like we're looking in the same price ranges, areas, and types of houses.

I've lived on the NW side of Milwaukee and have lived in Milwaukee my whole life so I know the area pretty good. I've been working on the southside of milwaukee for a year and a half and am all over down there so I have an idea of what it's like.

Stay away from the north side of Milwaukee! I live on the far nw side and while it has been a great neighborhood and it's still decent, you can see it's been declining in the past few years. All of the scum is slowly creeping closer like cancer. It's a shame.

Menomonee Falls, Germantown, and Brookfield, are all great communities. You can't go wrong buying a house anywhere in those cities. The neighborhoods are all nice.

Wauwatosa is hit or miss. The further away from Milwaukee, the better. I'd say anything west of 100th street and somewhat south of Hampton should be decent. Stay away from the milwaukee border.

Brown Deer is alright. I'd say it will/is getting worse as the years go on. I wouldn't buy a house there.

I don't know much about west allis

The southside of Milwaukee seems OK. A lot of regular houses there--nothing fancy. The further south of Oklahoma street, the better. Areas very close to the airport are not the greatest ever.

I think Greendale and Greenfield are decent areas.

Stay away from houses that are by low income apartments. The apartments sometimes attract a lot of scum.

Have you talked to a real estate agent yet? They can send you info on newly listed houses that aren't on their websites yet.

Good luck! Isn't it great to be able to buy a house now when everything is dirt cheap?

wrath
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm looking for a house too and have checked out some of the same ones you have listed. I'm looking for a home in an area that is safe and I won't have to worry about leaving my car out overnight if I had to or leaving the garage door open while I'm in the back yard. It seems like we're looking in the same price ranges, areas, and types of houses.

Yeah, sounds like we're looking for the same thing. Is it just me or are there not really any "please buy me houses" out there? I'd like to think I'm not all that picky. My picky-ness does increase with how much I pay but I think that's reasonable. Even when I account for the fact that SE Wisconsin has incredibly high land values about 80% of the properties seem overvalued. The realtors seem to think a fair price right now is 2005 Assessed Values according to your taxes. It seems that some houses are a bargain at that price and other ones should be at 2003 Assessed.

I have found quite a few properties that I think are a fair price and even some that seem to be a bargain. But they aren't what I'm looking for. It almost seems like people are hanging onto the properties of interest to me.

I've lived on the NW side of Milwaukee and have lived in Milwaukee my whole life so I know the area pretty good. I've been working on the southside of milwaukee for a year and a half and am all over down there so I have an idea of what it's like.

We like the south side of Milwaukee but It's too much of a commute for me.

Stay away from the north side of Milwaukee! I live on the far nw side and while it has been a great neighborhood and it's still decent, you can see it's been declining in the past few years. All of the scum is slowly creeping closer like cancer. It's a shame.

Yeah, we're not impressed either. I have a coworker that lives near Timmerman Airport and he said it's been on a steady decline in his neighborhood. We've looked there at several houses and they seemed like they had potential but I get a bad feeling about the area. I prefer working class neighborhoods since that way I'm not the only one who is making noise in the garage and there seems to be more of a neighborhood camaraderie that keeps an eye out for riffraff. But, that area seems to be getting overrun by "not bothering to work class" people.

Wauwatosa is hit or miss. The further away from Milwaukee, the better. I'd say anything west of 100th street and somewhat south of Hampton should be decent. Stay away from the milwaukee border.

Wauwatosa has me intrigued. There are a ton of rich white people that are going to go to great lengths to protect their neighborhoods and property values. But I don't know if they've got the gonads to pull it off like Grosse Pointe did in Detroit. The neighborhoods within Wauwatosa seem to be "my kind of people" but I can't tell how long that's going to be the case.

What about the areas near the "village" say around 72nd street? Much east of there has me a little spooked because there are so many houses for sale there.

Brown Deer is alright. I'd say it will/is getting worse as the years go on. I wouldn't buy a house there.

Brown Deer is pretty low on the totem pole for me. It seems really hit and miss... and definitely on the downward spiral. I was interviewing for a job at University School of Milwaukee and spent a lot of time around there. Between the tools that worked there and the downward spiral area I decided I didn't want to work there and definitely not live anywhere near there.

I don't know much about west allis

Me neither. High taxes, Jeffrey Dahmer, Allis-Chalmers taxes, Quadgraphics, and high taxes. And Jeffrey Dahmer. That's about it. Oh, and high taxes.

Stay away from houses that are by low income apartments. The apartments sometimes attract a lot of scum.

Yeah, we're noticing that's an issue also. I don't like being by apartments anyway since they tend to be people that come and go a lot and there is a higher concentration of automobile traffic.

Have you talked to a real estate agent yet? They can send you info on newly listed houses that aren't on their websites yet.

Yeah, I have one assigned to me from Prudential Relocation. They have me on their email list. I don't have a contract with them though.

Good luck! Isn't it great to be able to buy a house now when everything is dirt cheap?

Yeah, it's kind of nice. I think it kind of raised my expectations though. We were going to look at four houses two Saturdays ago and the realtor informed me that they all had offers on them and one had an accepted cash offer. We didn't bother meeting up with the realtor. Seemed kind of fishy to me that all four houses we wanted to get in magically had offers and they seemed to know a lot about the offers but didn't seem to be interested in getting me in the houses to make an offer. They didn't offer to tell me if any of them were lowball or contingent offers either.

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont think Dahmer ever lived in White Allis ?

Anyway LoL at low prices :rolf A glorified city lot for prit near $200k. :headbang

jbiscuit
03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
didn't Dahmer live in Cudahy?

wrath
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont think Dahmer ever lived in White Allis ?

j00 betcha:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Dahmer

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Ah ok he was born der.
Ah to go back to White Allis in 1960, it would have been a wonderful place.
Anyway I am sure Dahmer lived all over Milwaukee as a renting adult scumbag, he killed all those guys at 25th and Kilbourn according to some website.

Crawlin
03-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I live in Muskego/New Berlin area. Just at Janesville Rd and Moorland Ave area. It takes me about 20 minutes to get from my house to my work which is just west of 43 on Silver Spring. So that's including me going through the Marquette interchange.

the time/commute is better than if I just took 894/45 north to Silver Spring/Good Hope Rd.

Anything south of me there isn't a real close freeway access so maybe that would be a bit too much. But yeah, getting anything in Muskego area is gonna be about 200+ for a decent home.

Crawlin
03-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, it's kind of nice. I think it kind of raised my expectations though. We were going to look at four houses two Saturdays ago and the realtor informed me that they all had offers on them and one had an accepted cash offer. We didn't bother meeting up with the realtor. Seemed kind of fishy to me that all four houses we wanted to get in magically had offers and they seemed to know a lot about the offers but didn't seem to be interested in getting me in the houses to make an offer. They didn't offer to tell me if any of them were lowball or contingent offers either.

Find a new realtor

Those houses are out there. I found a house that was probably a 250k house for about 169k when I was looking in Menomonee Falls. Only problem was that the whole kitchen was done up in teal and pink cabinets/walls. Do a little upgrading and the house looks like any of the 275k-280k houses that were in the same area. Kitchen and bathroom at $40k and you'd be in at $200k and be in a decent equity situation.

DirtyMax
03-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Dahmer lived at 924 N. 25th St. when he had his run. He did a stint in Stallis but that's not when he was at his best... or worst.