PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding the current seatbelt law.

Nix
03-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Just as it says, we have a "know it all" here at work saying that police are NOT able to pull you over now if they see you are NOT wearing your seatbelt.

I looked and the newest I could find is 2006. I could have sworn that recently it was passed that an officer could pull you over if they believed to see that you were not wearing your belt. Maybe Im wrong but Im not 100% sure.

Can anyone help? Or have a link to the curent law? I need proof:D

Karps TA
03-11-2008, 01:40 PM
According to http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/vehicle/seatbelt/law.htm

Your know it all is right.

However that doesn't mean you won't get stopped for something stupid just to hit you with that. I got pulled over 2 years ago cause the cop said the dealer bracket on my rear license plate covered up the month and date. Which was BS cause I put the stickets on with the plate holder in place, they weren't obstructed in the least.

I then got my seat belt ticket. Which I think was what the guy really pulled me over for.

Nix
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Damn this is the same one that a co-worker found...

Last modified: January 24, 2006

I know there has to be an updated version somewhere.

DirtyMax
03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Call 911 and ask em' :goof

70 cutlass 442
03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
he is correct. i got stoped for "acceleration hard form a light" and after she wrote me just a seatbelt ticket (lucky) I was informed of the reasons they cant stop you just for a seat belt violation

Windsors 03 Cobra
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I heard about that "the cops can pull you over for JUST seeing a person not wearing a seatbelt" business last summer, Maybe it was just a promotional thing for the summer to increase revenue generation ?

Karps TA
03-11-2008, 02:06 PM
In the link there's a pdf of the statues. On the top is said it was written in 2006 with updates for 07 and 08. Reading it there's a section stating they cannot pull you over specificially for it. Just hard to read lawyer talk.

DirtyMax
03-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Even if they can't pull you over for just that, the bottom line is if they're bored and they wanna write $10 seatbelt tickets all day to passers-by, I'm sure they can find some reason to pull you over. "Lane deviation", for example, is one reason to pull someone over that's really hard for you to disprove.

Jsho13
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I thought that they could pull you over just for not wearing a seatbelt. I could have sworn that I heard it on the radio last year sometime.

DRK
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
It doesn't matter as said before, if they want to pull you over they will. My favorite is,
"your license plate light is out" and "you have a flickering tail light". Yeah and I got a John Holmes C**k.

DirtyMax
03-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Here's another document from their "Click It or Ticket" campaign from last summer.

Still doesn't specify wheather or not they can pull you over just for not wearing a belt though.

It says
"The Click It or Ticket message is simple and direct—If you are stopped by an officer and are not wearing a safety belt, you will get a ticket. There’ll be no warnings"

http://www.dot.state.wi.us/news/docs/clickitfactsheet2007.pdf

P.S. From everything I have been able to find, WI is still working with a secondary enforcement seat belt law meaning that can't pull you over for just that... but as I said before... there's ways if they wanna be a douche.