PDA

View Full Version : Directv

Anakonda69
03-09-2008, 08:10 PM
getting it installed this saturday, march 15th......anything special i need to know? haven't heard anything real bad about satelite installs.....a few friends have directv and had no problems with them.......

Heat Seeker WS6
03-09-2008, 08:14 PM
is it getting hooked up to an HD TV?
Do you need any wires- I got a niiiice hookup.

Breecher_7
03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
There HD DVR service sucks ass, ill tell you that much. There boxes are crap and the menus are NOT user friendly. It never recorded shit the way it was supposed to and it always recorded multiple copys of the same show even when it was set not to.

There HD TV service is second to none, I do miss there programming. As said above though, there DVR boxes really suck.

KillerTA
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
You should get uverse

Russ Jerome
03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
..anything special i need to know? .......

If your not getting the HD service right away, dont fall for the
"Oh you can buy your own box from Best Buy" scam.

Should you ever become pissed at DTV to the point you want
to go bust some idiot in the head, they are based out of CA
If I recal and there is no local guy to punch in the head.

Let DTV supply the box nomatter the charge. Best Buy employee's
dont even know the deal. Buying it from them is just a $300 hit
that says you are "leasing" it and locks you into a multi yr contract
that still requires a monthly hit in your bill.

There HD service looked good, there non HD channels look much
better than Time warners (cheaper service than DTV) non HD
chanells. If money was no object I would still use the lying DTV
idiots system.

88Nightmare
03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I have non HD DTV with a DVR box. My DVR box works perfect. I set shit up to record a week in advance, come home from work, and there it is, waiting to be watched. Our installer must have done a good job, our dish never needed to be re-aimed.

Karps TA
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
There HD DVR service sucks ass, ill tell you that much. There boxes are crap and the menus are NOT user friendly. It never recorded shit the way it was supposed to and it always recorded multiple copys of the same show even when it was set not to.

I've had no problems with my HD DVR box at all. It's actually done a better job recording stuff then I expected. I'd say my HD DVR box from Time Warner did weirded stuff.

subliminal1284
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Once a good storm comes kiss your signal goodbye until it passes.

88Nightmare
03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
One a good storm comes kiss your signal goodbye until it passes.

shut the hell up. im sick of people complaining about that. I have never once lost signal completely. The worst loss of signal I ever experienced was losing the upper half of my channels in that 15" blizzard, and even then it was for such a short period of time. I have enough shit DVR'd that I can not watch the same thing twice if I lost signal for a week. But still having the lower channels was fine for me for a few hours while it passed. But I'd take losing signal ANYDAY over SHITTY customer service from TWC

sacstoy02gt
03-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Switched a few months ago to DTV from TWC. Couldn't be happier.

We get way more for the money over TWC and we even get a discount for TWC from our employer (DTV still costs us less). The amount of HD channels is awesome. My HDDVR works great and has't had any issues at all. I like the fact I can stream music/videos/pictures from my PC by just sharing them with Windows Media Player. RF remote rocks for the HD DVR, also run a line from it to our workout TV, which isn't line-of site to the home theater room. On-demand isn't quite like TWCs, but hey, it's still on-demand :) Pick what you want, it queues up and downloads it, then just watch whenever.

Regular DVR upstairs works well, no complaints there either.

Only loss of signal we had is due to poor installation of the dish from the tech that did it. Didn't secure the post well enough. Tech came out and bolted the dish to the house, no issues now.

subliminal1284
03-10-2008, 01:58 PM
shut the hell up. im sick of people complaining about that. I have never once lost signal completely. The worst loss of signal I ever experienced was losing the upper half of my channels in that 15" blizzard, and even then it was for such a short period of time. I have enough shit DVR'd that I can not watch the same thing twice if I lost signal for a week. But still having the lower channels was fine for me for a few hours while it passed. But I'd take losing signal ANYDAY over SHITTY customer service from TWC

Just talking from my experience, maybe you have better luck than I do.

88Nightmare
03-10-2008, 02:01 PM
yup, I do, and apparently so do other people on here as well. To go out and make such a general blunt statement like that is pretty retarded.

JC70SS
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Once a good storm comes kiss your signal goodbye until it passes.

Very,very rare! Still better than shitty ass over-priced time-warner.

Russ Jerome
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Switched a few months ago to DTV from TWC. Couldn't be happier.

We get way more for the money over TWC .The amount of HD channels is awesome. My HDDVR works great and has't had any issues at all.

Agreed, much cheaper......but its worth repeating if your into high
end video playback:

The "non" HD channels on TWC are grainy and generaly verry poor
signal. if money is not an issue, DTV and TWC is value is the concern.

Anakonda69
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
thanks guys. john i will let u know. i will need some hdmi cables once i do hook it up to hd. i am not getting the hd service right away i believe. i am gonna wait a bit. all my friends said pretty much the same thing. never had any loss of signal, only one did in tornado like weather. never had any problems with any of the dvr boxes. i was gonna get twc but they kept jerking us around cuz we ordered online and the phone orders don't get the same rates and blah blah blah. so we figured we'd try this for a year. u-verse isn't available in my area yet i tried to get it.

badass88gt
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm switching to Dish Network from cable. What I liked about them is they have a dual-tuner HD DVR, which will let me watch TV on 2 different sets through 1 box, not extra reciever to rent. The remote works UHF like a garage door opener, I get 2 remotes, each one coded differently for the dual reciever. Another thing I liked was they didnt try to bullshit me about the number of HD channels available like Direct TV did.

badass88gt
03-10-2008, 04:16 PM
And whatever you do, DO NOT BUY CABLES FROM BEST BUY or somewhere like that. They charge $80 for the same HDMI cable you can buy online for $4 from newegg or Monoprice.

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
getting it installed this saturday, march 15th......anything special i need to know? haven't heard anything real bad about satelite installs.....a few friends have directv and had no problems with them.......

You shoulda checked out UVERSE if it's in your area. 3 Free HD boxes, free DVR, free wireless connection, cheap, and no ugly dish.

77thor
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
You shoulda checked out UVERSE if it's in your area. 3 Free HD boxes, free DVR, free wireless connection, cheap, and no ugly dish.

Yeah. I'm waiting for UVERSE to hit my area....

Anakonda69
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
it's not available in my area

Heat Seeker WS6
03-19-2008, 06:57 PM
And whatever you do, DO NOT BUY CABLES FROM BEST BUY or somewhere like that. They charge $80 for the same HDMI cable you can buy online for $4 from newegg or Monoprice.

I can get any kind of cables from my local distibuter at PHAT prices & w/o the wait.

Holeshot
03-19-2008, 09:17 PM
I cant wait to get back to Direct. Uverse made all kinds of false promises and there Customer Service SUCKS. We are moving in a few weeks and I shit you not it took 9 transfers to get my phone disconnected and a 45 min holed time to cancel my Uverse

If you record more than 80 % of HD programing on the DVR it pixilates and the HHD gets audio and video out of sync.

DirtyMax
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
I think it's pretty bad ass that with D-TV now, you can log in from your PC or cell phone and schedule programs. I'm sure other companies offer it too but it's just another benefit.

I'm very pleased with D-TV. That storm stuff is bullshit. Haven't had a hiccup in the almost 2 yrs since I moved to my new house.