PDA

View Full Version : SERIOUSLY contemplating a career change.

brotherbenn83
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I have been working in the auto service industry for 9+ years now, and things are at an all time low for me. In the last 3 days I have managed to book only 10 hours while working 25+. At this point in time, I cannot afford to continue at this pace. I need a steady income, but I am by no means looking for a $8-10/hour job. I am very mechanically (no pun) inclined. I have done woodworking, some masonry, drywall, electrical etc. If anyone is hiring, or works somewhere that is hiring please let me know. I am seriously looking at making a change SOON. I just need a steady paycheck to support myself and my family. I am hard working, honest and loyal. You treat me right, I will treat you right back. I have been at the same Chevrolet dealer for 6 1/2 years, and I have a bunch of references that will support my dedication and drive to make money.

If you are still reading this, thanks and please let me know of anything you may have available. I am located in Greenfield, practically in New Berlin, but I would be willing to drive a bit if the $$$ is right.

Ben

tommyt5078
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I sent you a PM!

Lash
03-04-2008, 07:09 PM
3 words...

Skilled Union Trades

/thread

07ROUSHSTG3
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM
wanna work on fords? come to lomira, we have more work than you can shake a stick at. a knowledgable tech should have no problem booking at least 60 hours a week.

oneslowcamino
03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
3 words...

Skilled Union Trades

/thread

+ 1 for that. If things start going bad for me thats the first thing on my list.

ND4SPD
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Yep nothing like union labor... takes an act of God to fire you.

Poncho
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
wanna work on fords? come to lomira, we have more work than you can shake a stick at. a knowledgable tech should have no problem booking at least 60 hours a week.

back to work, mister mom? :thumbsup

Breecher_7
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM

We could beat this dead horse again for a while. I know i never get tired of bashing lazy union employees.....

Ill never work for a union again. For every good employee, there are 10 lazy ass mother ****ers that **** off all day because they know its a nightmare for a company to fire them.

brotherbenn83
03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't necessarily need to be in a union, I have NO problem WORKING for my money...I just would rather have something to do.

brotherbenn83
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM

Lomira is quite a haul, depending on how things pan out though...I might consider it.

WickedSix
03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Are you willing to travel??

my current company is looking for field service reps but you will fly all over the place for work.

Car Guy
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

my current company is looking for field service reps but you will fly all over the place for work.

Doing what exactly...???

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

whistlin six
03-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I got out of the auto repair biz after 20 years of service, I wasn't very impressed with way the industry has changed over the years. It's been
over two years now and I haven't looked back, fixing cars for a living pretty much sucks.

Started my own business working on houses, handyman type stuff.
I've managed to keep myself pretty busy so far, I'll never get rich doing
this, but the same holds true for working on cars.

Sorry I can't hire you, I'm just a one man show right now, but good luck
in finding a different career path. I know where you're coming from...

WickedSix
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Doing what exactly...???

KHS builds filling and bottling equipment for the food and drug industries. A field service tech is trained on the machines they will have the duty of installing and/or servicing. The job entails a large amount of mechanical apptitude, diagnostic skills, and creative problem solving. No two facilities are the same. FYI the major customers are Proctor and Gamble, Anheiser Busch, Miller SAB, Coors, Coca Cola and so forth. US based in waukesha, but parent is in Germany. The service guys are away from their home FREQUENTLY.

brotherbenn83
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Doing what and for what kinda $$$ are we talking?

brotherbenn83
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
I think if I was away from home often the fiance would kill me, plus I would miss her too damn much. Otherwise sounds like a good/fun job.

Korndogg
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
We could beat this dead horse again for a while. I know i never get tired of bashing lazy union employees.....

Ill never work for a union again. For every good employee, there are 10 lazy ass mother ****ers that **** off all day because they know its a nightmare for a company to fire them.

Come out to my jobsite and tell ANYONE there that they are lazy. You have no ******* clue what you are talking about. I don't know where you got your bad experience from but most building trades work their asses off to get the job done. You can't lump one union in with others just because some people might be super lazy in that particular trade. Sure there are the slackers here and there but they get laid off like there is no tomorrow. Company's don't just keep people around for the hell of it. You don't work, you get laid off.

Breecher_7
03-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Come out to my jobsite and tell ANYONE there that they are lazy. You have no ******* clue what you are talking about. I don't know where you got your bad experience from but most building trades work their asses off to get the job done. You can't lump one union in with others just because some people might be super lazy in that particular trade. Sure there are the slackers here and there but they get laid off like there is no tomorrow. Company's don't just keep people around for the hell of it. You don't work, you get laid off.

As I said, I knew this would start another argument...

You can keep your union......

Korndogg
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
and you can keep talking out of your ass.

go find something wrong with your truck.

WickedSix
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Doing what and for what kinda $$$ are we talking?

doing what was mentioned before above.... the money varies depending on how much you work and how much overtime. I don't know the base off hand .... but you'll get a pm with what I know a couple guys earn...

Car Guy
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
but you'll get a pm with what I know a couple guys earn...

I'd like to know also, and do you know off hand if any previous experience in required.....

Lash
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM

So how long did you work in the union CONSTRUCTION industry?

Lash
03-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Not in construction.

A B4C Z
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM

LMAO

Lash
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM

Oh NO you di'int!

:rolf

Al
03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Last time I checked, P&H is hiring.

Also, Check Telsmith in Mequon. I think their assemblers make 17/hr starting. This is heavy equipment stuff.

Breecher_7
03-05-2008, 05:32 AM

Im not talking out my ass, im taking from what I see EVERY single day. Our shop is union but all the engineering staff and management is company. I see lazy ass people doing NOTHING all day long.

As far as the truck comment, eh, nothing wrong currently. Does have some recall issues that need to be addressed though for frequency of Regens and cold weather transmission start up. But thats another topic.

Its funny, the only people I see speak highly of the union, is people that are CURRENTLY employed by one. Everyone ive ever talked to personally that has been in a union or has to oversee union employee's, HATES them.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
back to work, mister mom? :thumbsup

yeah i came back about a month ago :( my vacation came to an end. i am not in sales anymore, but instead do a variety of things to help everyone out, along with handling all the ROUSH doings here. doesnt seem to bad so far, we will see.

Korndogg
03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Im not talking out my ass, im taking from what I see EVERY single day. Our shop is union but all the engineering staff and management is company. I see lazy ass people doing NOTHING all day long.

As far as the truck comment, eh, nothing wrong currently. Does have some recall issues that need to be addressed though for frequency of Regens and cold weather transmission start up. But thats another topic.

Its funny, the only people I see speak highly of the union, is people that are CURRENTLY employed by one. Everyone ive ever talked to personally that has been in a union or has to oversee union employee's, HATES them.

And what unions are you talking about that you see everyday.

Breecher_7
03-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Ill just say they build engines, im not commenting any further on this.

If you enjoy your job and dont see an issue with lazy people, congrats..... But from my personal experience people get to settled in there ways with there feeling of "job security" and stop giving a shit about what there getting paid for.

I never should have mentioned anything about this, I remember the last time this argument came up not to long ago. It just goes in circles.

Lash
03-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Construction unions are not the same as factory type unions....I don't care what anybody says.

Breecher_7
03-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Construction unions are not the same as factory type unions....I don't care what anybody says.

Mabey this is true. My comments are based SOLELY on my experience with a union.

Korndogg
03-05-2008, 03:45 PM
well thats what im getting at. construction unions are not anything like factory type unions. We need to get buildings up in a certain amount of time. I know what you are talking about with the other unions that sit there and manufacture stuff all day. They get lazy because their job is repetitive. Im just saying, you cannot lump one type of union in with the rest because not every union is like that.

brotherbenn83
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
hey Korndogg, you guys hiring? this has gotten way off topic, just like breecher said it would. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless...I still need to find a better job. Thanks to everyone with a helpful post so far.

Korndogg
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
We are kind of slow at the moment but the union is always hiring. PM me with any questions you have. I have class in a little bit and I have to get going.

Nick
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Maybe this can help you out.
http://www.wistangs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5730

Send a resume or contact him. Sounds like a fantastic oppurtunity.

tommyt5078
03-05-2008, 08:16 PM
hey Korndogg, you guys hiring? this has gotten way off topic, just like breecher said it would. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, regardless...I still need to find a better job. Thanks to everyone with a helpful post so far.

And thanks for the PM back............I don't think your serious about this job change :flipoff2: If you were I would got some kind or reply............Please don't waste your time like I did with this clown!!!!!

brotherbenn83
03-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah because it has been a whole 24 hours and I haven't replied to your poorly written PM. Maybe I figured working with a guy completely void of basic grammar skills was a waste of time. That really seems like a reason to get upset with me, you don't even know me.

Korndogg
03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
haha burn

brotherbenn83
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Maybe this can help you out.
http://www.wistangs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5730

Send a resume or contact him. Sounds like a fantastic oppurtunity.

Thanks for this, I am looking into it right now.