PDA

View Full Version : Bought a car, finally got some decent pics.

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, I bought a beat up old 5.0. '91 4-cylinder conversion, five speed, black steelies, CAI, shorty headers, OR H-pipe, open summit mufflers, etc. Power steering was taken off, smog pump and a/c removed, clutch fan removed. Plus it's got the four-cylinder rear end gears, so it's nice and quick.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/pyropizzle22/Mustang/DCP_2309.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/pyropizzle22/Mustang/DCP_2310.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/pyropizzle22/Mustang/DCP_2312.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/pyropizzle22/Mustang/DCP_2315.jpg

Now, there are some things I need:

I'm planning to buy some Eibach springs, and I need either a shop to install them for cheap or somebody who will help me with them (no tools/garage) for some cash/beer.

A windshield install, hopefully cheaper than $240, which is the quote I have right now.

Somebody to weld some dumps/turn downs onto the mufflers, I don't like 'em pointing straight back at the axle.

A little advice/help for installing the temp gauge I have and wiring the power for the electric fan into the fuse box. The switch and fan are already there, just need to run the power wire. I know very little about automotive electrics.

The speedo doesn't read accurately, my buddy said I need either a 20 or 23 tooth gear for it. I don't really know what that means, any tips?

Also, I need tires very badly. Not sure of the current tire size, but I'd like to get a similar size, maybe wider if they'll fit on the wheels. Anyone have a hookup or know of a good shop?

And if anybody knows a good place to get the oil changed, or would like to help me with that (again, no tools/garage), I'd be very appreciative.

I'd happily buy food/drink for any person (or people) who wants to help me out with this, plus a tip for whoever's willing to open their garage to me. :D

lit666
03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
congratz on your purchase!!!

Slow Joe
03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Congrats!

One thing I'd like to say is that if it's still got the 7.5" Rear End, it might be on it's last leg, so watch it closely if you're hammering on it...

If you need suspension help, and I have a area where can work on the car I'll gladly help you... Right now I don't have such an area, but I'm hoping to have something by summer :thumbsup

HY35F2T
03-04-2008, 02:56 PM
whered you pick it up from?ehh 7.5 should hold up long as your not dumping the clutch left and right few ppl i knew ahd a 7.5 lasted them awhile and that was highschool driving so they didnt give a ****.4cyl suspension too?

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah I try to be easy on the rear end, it's an open diff so it's not like I'm going around doing awesome clutch-dump burnouts or anything. If I keep the car, I'll probably buy the 8.8 out of my old '86 (friend has it) and put it in this winter. It's got new gas-filled shocks on the rear, but I'm pretty sure the rest is stock.

I got the car from Appleton, it was listed on CL.

DRK
03-04-2008, 03:06 PM
traction is what will kill the 7.5. most all the glass places will install a new windshield for $200 glass and all.

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
traction is what will kill the 7.5. most all the glass places will install a new windshield for $200 glass and all.
Yeah I got a little axle hop today and I was like, "shit!" Not planning to put any serious tires on it, I need to get some mileage out of them.

HY35F2T
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
so is the car carbed?or efi?im guessing efi since you sadi CAI.if so isnt the harness there for the stock fan?

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
so is the car carbed?or efi?im guessing efi since you sadi CAI.if so isnt the harness there for the stock fan?
Yeah it's EFI. Stock fan wasn't electric, ran off the belt.

hotshift13
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
If you need help let me know. I have lots of room, tools, heat, an empty fridge that could use some beer, and all that fun stuff, and I like beer!

HY35F2T
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
shiiit i like beer to and have tools.get me drunk and ill work on your car or work first then drink.lol

SLOWC5
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
sweet ride man:headbang

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
shiiit i like beer to and have tools.get me drunk and ill work on your car or work first then drink.lol

If you need help let me know. I have lots of room, tools, heat, an empty fridge that could use some beer, and all that fun stuff, and I like beer!

Thanks, guys. I'll be sure to get in contact when I get the springs.

sweet ride man:headbang

:thumbsup

Prince Valiant
03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
good kill on the car...i'm not too sure the mequon cops are gonna like that thing cruising around their hood though. Behave around there....

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
good kill on the car...i'm not too sure the mequon cops are gonna like that thing cruising around their hood though. Behave around there....
My mom is positive that I'm going to get a ticket. I went past a cop in downtown Theinsville today and I was chugging the motor to try and quiet it down, lol. No front plate, loud exhaust, teenager driving, and he didn't bother to turn around. Lucky, I suppose.

forest
03-04-2008, 05:46 PM
haha awsome!!! Beat it!!! I might be able to hook you up on a used 8.8 diff lemme know

stenchmiester
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
lose the gt side skirts

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah I'm considering it. I'm undecided though, it almost looks nifty.

TransAm12sec
03-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Zineckers is just south on Port Rd road from those pics. They can help out with a few of those things.

Zinecker's Auto Repair‎
10315 N Port Washington Rd, Mequon, WI
(262) 241-4636‎

GRAMPS SS
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah I'm considering it. I'm undecided though, it almost looks nifty.

yea congrats on the ride....i thought i was old...he said nifty.....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

chris was right about the mequon cops..that car stands out like a sore thumb....they will get ya...and they will write a book on that car....good luck with the repairs...drive safe....and smart in mequon...:thumbsup

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Zineckers is just south on Port Rd road from those pics. They can help out with a few of those things.

Zinecker's Auto Repair‎
10315 N Port Washington Rd, Mequon, WI
(262) 241-4636‎

Thanks, I'll probably give 'em a call tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

yea congrats on the ride....i thought i was old...he said nifty.....:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

chris was right about the mequon cops..that car stands out like a sore thumb....they will get ya...and they will write a book on that car....good luck with the repairs...drive safe....and smart in mequon...:thumbsup

:D Well they don't exactly look "cool" or "sexy," if anything they just make it look even more like a mullet mobile.

Thanks for the heads up, I planned on mounting the front plate whenever I get around to it, and I'll try to keep my driving behavior civil.

formul8
03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Damn, she ugly!

slickwilly
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Damn, she ugly!
:rolf

Yup, and I love it. It's an effective means of weeding out the shallow wimmenz who like pretty, comfortable cars.

Me: I have a Mustang
Girl: Oh really? I love Mustangs.
Me: It's a '91. It's ugly and loud.
Girl: Oh... that's nice.
Me: Bye.

Poncho
03-05-2008, 12:22 AM
don't lose the GT skirts, add the rest of the kit.

slickwilly
03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Yeah I'm considering that as well, I like the GT ground effects. I'll have to decide before the car gets painted (hopefully this summer).

slickwilly
03-09-2008, 08:38 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0SyRkhEdvA

Boring vid. Youtube is being a bastard and refusing to upload the longer vid I made.

DurtyKurty
03-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Smokey... :headbang

slickwilly
03-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Yeah I'm not sure how much of that is tire smoke and how much is oil smoke. Gonna get the oil changed soon, so if it is the engine hopefully it'll clear up with fresh oil in it.

michelle
03-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Looks like a lot of oil smoke to me.

slickwilly
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh well, it's just a five liter. If it breaks I'll buy back the motor from my '86 and toss it in.

formul8
03-09-2008, 11:32 PM

Yup, and I love it. It's an effective means of weeding out the shallow wimmenz who like pretty, comfortable cars.

Me: I have a Mustang
Girl: Oh really? I love Mustangs.
Me: It's a '91. It's ugly and loud.
Girl: Oh... that's nice.
Me: Bye.

The nice thing is:

-You don't have to wash or wax it.
-Park it anywhere. Who cares about door dings?
-Shopping cart in your way? RAM IT!
-Parts are dirt cheap and every junkyard has as least 10 of them.
-Nobody is going to steal it 'cause she ugly!

DRK
03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
take the skirts off it's not a chick.
If you go junkyard hopping for a motor, look for a 94 and newer 351w out of a F series. A complete motor with acces. and all will swap easy, it's only 75 pounds more weight, and it's a much better foundation for around the same amount of cash.

slickwilly
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah I don't know, if I get a 351 I have to through the "351 conversion process" and I'm not sure that's something I'm willing to do. Before I went that route I'd probably just turbo or supercharge the car. But... any of that is a long ways off. Nothing major is going to change this year except suspension tweaking, paint, and maybe an axle.

DRK
03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
there is no conversion process if you buy a complete with accessories

badass88gt
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
For the speedo gear, you need to find out what gears are in the rear. Jack the back up, spin the tire 1 full rotation and count how many spins the driveshaft makes. If its 3 1/2 turns, you have 3.55, 3 3/4 turns, 3.73s, 2 3/4 turns, 2.73, etc etc etc.

Once you find out the rear gears you can choose the speedo driven gear accordingly.

For the fan wiring, I have a diagram from my car, it uses an adjustable fan controller and I also have a toggle switch so I can turn it on or off regardless of temp. Here's the diagram.

http://members.aol.com/badazzred88gt/Pics/CarStuff/FanWiring.jpg

slickwilly
03-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks, the fan is just gonna be run off a toggle switch though. It's already almost completely wired in and I'm too electrically inept to mess with it.

I have a strong suspicion the rear gear is a 3.45, which is the factory gear for four cylinders IIRC. I already talked to a guy that somebody recommended, and he's gonna take care of that for me in a couple weeks once I have some cash laying around.

there is no conversion process if you buy a complete with accessories

I haven't read up on it much, so I guess I can't say. I'd rather go turbo though if I was going to do anything.

badass88gt
03-11-2008, 12:39 AM
You need a relay with that fan unless you like hot wires, fried switches and fire.

slickwilly
03-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Hmmm... I wonder what sort of setup is already in there. I don't suppose I could throw you some bucks to help me figure it out? :D

badass88gt
03-11-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm 3 hours away from you. Not sure you have that kind of bucks!

slickwilly
03-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Damn, guess I should pay attention to that sort of thing, lol.

slickwilly
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Bought some tires today from Neuwave and had 'em mounted up. Also pulled the larger portion of the sideskirts off after the driver's side one started sagging (poorly mounted). The rear little pieces in front of the tires I left on because the car's still white underneath of them. :rolleyes:

Got some bad news though, the tire guy noticed that the o2 sensors aren't plugged in. Pretty cool of the guy who put my exhaust together to install my brand new sensors (making them worthless) and then not plug them in, and not tell me about it. So I don't know if the car is even wired for o2s at this point. I'm pretty ******* pissed about it though.