PDA

View Full Version : Plane Landing Near Sideways in Germany

TransAm12sec
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Storm blows jetliner off runway

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/03/03/vo.germany.plane.close.call.liveleak?iref=mpvideos view

lasttimearound
03-03-2008, 01:30 PM
holy shit, good job by the pilot. love the throttle and rudder control.

Syclone0044
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Wow, since when does CNN buy rights to videos from LiveLeak, that's a first!

Bet the pilots were shitting themselves... Seems risky to reapply throttle and go back up after the wing contacted the ground!!

subliminal1284
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Pilot probably didnt know the wing touched the ground.

lasttimearound
03-03-2008, 04:42 PM
it was probably safer to go around or divert then to try to make that landing since he was so long down the runway.

Karps TA
03-03-2008, 09:04 PM
I would never get back on a plane after that.

That_Guy
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
i have a family member who is a pilot he said they shouldnt have even attempted to land. and that the pilot may lose his job.

Heat Seeker WS6
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
i have a family member who is a pilot he said they shouldnt have even attempted to land. and that the pilot may lose his job.

and just orbit the field until the storm subsided? Sure, we'll just call in a KC-135 so they can do that. Planes can land in crosswinds & there is windsheer detection & pilots are trained for it. The pilot kept control of the plane when that gust happened at touchdown, he did what he could & didn't try to force it down, then reapplied power to get the plane sorted out & up again for a go around. At least he didnt power down & stall it. Im sure they wont loose thier jobs. Great flying! :headbang

That_Guy
03-03-2008, 11:51 PM
and just orbit the field until the storm subsided? Sure, we'll just call in a KC-135 so they can do that. Planes can land in crosswinds & there is windsheer detection & pilots are trained for it. The pilot kept control of the plane when that gust happened at touchdown, he did what he could & didn't try to force it down, then reapplied power to get the plane sorted out & up again for a go around. At least he didnt power down & stall it. Im sure they wont loose thier jobs. Great flying! :headbang

typical air ports have north south and east west runways. maybe i should have added that. he could have just as easily landed on a runway that had the wind heading twards him. ;) he just said he will porbly come under review