PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk modified car insurance

Z28Roxy
03-03-2008, 06:51 AM
Who here specifically insures their vehicle(s) as modified? I've heard that especially for non-daily drivers you can often get better rates going to some niche insurance companies.

So anyone out there have a story on where they go, what they pay, etc?

Right now I just have my car covered under the same company as my beater but it's still listed as unmodified and pretty sure my company avoids modded cars :goof

BlackViper
03-03-2008, 07:00 AM
If by modified you mean vehicle is worth more than KBB than you need to have a stated value on your policy. That is what I do just in case it gets wrecked I don't have to hassle with the insurance co., I get the value I insured it for.....I can also take the liability off during the winter.

Jim Dunker w/ Zingen and Braun is my insurance guy and he is great!

65black
03-03-2008, 07:22 AM
the niche ins. comp. sometimes do have very nice rates but they may limit the mileage you drive in a year. Some regular ins.comp. cancel you because of mods,mine did for installing a rollbar ,didn't care about the other mods just the rollbar said that made it a pro street racecar and they don't insure racecars (take out the rollbar and they would be OK) It is a 4- point bar,they all have there ways of doing things.I now insure mine as a collector car per a agreed value . all i can say is call around and get some numbers but ask about all the small print ,I have heacock collector ins.

lit666
03-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I have state farm and my person put the estimated value of my car as suck and suck, which is higher then the KBB and said all I needed was reciepts and it wouldn't hurt to make a video of it. I pay less on the mustang then I do the trail Blazer with the same coverage. It's a 500 deductable, 100,000, 100,000, 30,000 something like that.

y2kws6
03-03-2008, 08:02 AM
If by modified you mean vehicle is worth more than KBB than you need to have a stated value on your policy. That is what I do just in case it gets wrecked I don't have to hassle with the insurance co., I get the value I insured it for.....I can also take the liability off during the winter.

Jim Dunker w/ Zingen and Braun is my insurance guy and he is great!

You are completely right. All you need is some photo's receipts or other documentation (estimate depretiation works also) that can prove the value of the car and you can insure it for that amount vs. a KBB calculated amount from the insurance agent. Any company can do, it is just more hassle.

Dan

P.S. reminds me that I still need to do that with ours since I changed companies.

Yooformula
03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I am insured with Sentry insurance and we have EVERYTHING in my car insured for full value except for the paint. I gave them a detailed listed of EVERY mod ever done including stereo equipment along with receipts and I have it insured for the market value plus my mods. In the winter I drop down to storage insurance only which is liability only as long as it doesnt get on the road.

Slow Joe
03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
If the mods of your car will raise the value take it in and get it appraised somewhere. The appraiser will take mods, etc into consideration when estimating replacement value...

wikked
03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
e-surance has a "modified" coverage add-on, that is only like $15 extra/mo for like $5,000 of coverage. (can't remember exactly, something close to that)
Covers everything from rims to underhood parts.

Z28Roxy
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys. Not so much looking to insure my car for more money (I don't think bolt ons raises the value), more worried about if I did wreck it or if someone else did or whatever else wrecked it (fire, hail, etc) that they would try to retroactively cancel my insurance.

Just want to make sure if anything ever did happen I could get another 4th gen :goof

Yellow2k1vette
03-03-2008, 04:18 PM
In the winter I drop down to storage insurance only which is liability only as long as it doesnt get on the road.I would hope you mean comprehensive coverage only.

Liability coverage is what pays for other's damages in the event you cause an accident. Your stored car isn't likely to hit someone else. :D

Comprehensive covers non-collision damages/theft/vandalism of your car. This is what you would want for storage purposes.

Collision covers damage to your car in the event of an accident.

:haveabeer

A B4C Z
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Keep your bills and your good to go. Happend to me once.

spindler27
03-03-2008, 11:11 PM
e-surance has a "modified" coverage add-on, that is only like $15 extra/mo for like $5,000 of coverage. (can't remember exactly, something close to that)
Covers everything from rims to underhood parts.

I guess that's not too bad, but if I wrecked my car and only got $5000 of what I've invested in parts back I'd cry lol. I guess I'll be keeping all my receipts and getting this thing appraised very soon.