PDA

View Full Version : Wanna be serious? Give me your thoughts.

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
I still have a ton of people here to meet but I can share a little about myself. Just like a lot of you I have a serious passion for cars but its not the car I love its the relationship with them and what cars have done for me in my life.

I grew up in childrens homes and foster homes seperated from parents who chose not to raise me as their own. From the time I can remember when I was allowed to visit family I spent time with my older brother who had a challenger and through the years always had a nice car with paint, wheels, sound and such.

From 16 years old I started practicing on my own. My point for you guys is this....

I want to give back to others but dont have kids of age to impart my passion onto. I want to start a group non profit or whatever that allows me to bring a group of volunteers (car owners) to local childrens centers, foster villages, youth centers to spend a half a day or so experiencing the life of custom cars.

How would I start this process? Where do I begin? I have a name and can create a forum to talk about events. What do you guys suggest?

I invision this being a small car show type event where kids can view the cars, sit in them (IF owners permit) ask questions about cars they may have never gotten any close too.

Thoughts??

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Oh yeah, this would be called "Tuned For Change"

Deggy
03-02-2008, 11:13 AM
That sounds like a really good idea.

hotshift13
03-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Very cool Idea! My neighbor runs a non profit for inner city kids, one of the coolest things ive been involved in!!

Breecher_7
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Sign me up, id be willing to help out any way I can.

Not to mention NPO = Tax Breaks.... :banana1:

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
^ Would that person be interested in lending me some advise you think?

lordairgtar
03-02-2008, 02:12 PM
A good idea would be to partner with an existing car club (there are many in Milwaukee area). Putting on car shows and going to different places to display cars for kids is a time consuming and labor intensive project. You need people to do different tasks from setting up the venue to making fliers to talking to companies for sponsoring the event and providing door prizes for the car owners (they like that shit). Also dealing with insurance costs for the day. One example is the Wisconsin Corvette Club who benefit Spina Bifida kids and give Vette rides at a SB camp. The Wisconsin Street Rod Association benefits an animal shelter in Fond Du Lac and also acquires needed things for disabled persons like air conditioners and stuff like that. It's good to have the resources of a club behind you. Perhaps an agency like the Boys and Girls Club would be a great group to go through.

Korndogg
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
A good idea would be to partner with an existing car club (there are many in Milwaukee area). Putting on car shows and going to different places to display cars for kids is a time consuming and labor intensive project. You need people to do different tasks from setting up the venue to making fliers to talking to companies for sponsoring the event and providing door prizes for the car owners (they like that shit). Also dealing with insurance costs for the day. One example is the Wisconsin Corvette Club who benefit Spina Bifida kids and give Vette rides at a SB camp. The Wisconsin Street Rod Association benefits an animal shelter in Fond Du Lac and also acquires needed things for disabled persons like air conditioners and stuff like that. It's good to have the resources of a club behind you. Perhaps an agency like the Boys and Girls Club would be a great group to go through.

I think he is thinking more on a personal level where a few people stop by and talk to the kids and lets the kids check out the cars and just hang out. Not like a car show type setting. You dont need fliers and everything for that.

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 05:14 PM
For the first few years^ that would be the idea. More of a picnic kind of idea for them. bring a few cars to them v/s larger events like stated where marketing and insurance would be needed. I remember when the harley guys came to my center dressed up like santa clauses and such.

I think truthfully the boys and girls club would be the first place to start and partner with them then just market with our contacts like you guys to fill the event.

slickwilly
03-02-2008, 05:21 PM
I think this is a great idea. I was raised a fortunate child, but neither of my parents were into cars at all, and I had to pick up little by little. I imagine there must be kids in foster homes and such who want to learn more. And most kids like to see cool cars, whether or not they're future hot rodders.

Without actually knowing anything about it, I suppose the best way to start would be to get in contact with something like the boys and girls club or a foster organization and start talking about the problems and things that need to be addressed.

PureSound15
03-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Pm Sent.

I've organized shows in the past, and have a passion for kids (not in the Michael Jackson & Mike Cooper way). I'd love to help.

ND4SPD
03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/AFSil80/1153890877956jj1_640.jpg

In all seriousness, my brother mentored a kid a while back... introduced him to the car world.

GRAMPS SS
03-02-2008, 07:42 PM
hell of an idea.I MEAN A HELL OF AN IDEA...you get to give back and so does this site....think of the good press you will get and maybe a story on you on a the news.......what ever i can do to help as well just pm me...with what i do for a living i may be able to help out with some things....

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 08:00 PM
^ I have to be absolutely honest. Its not about me, its about what we can share with these youth and what it might do. Sure, we will get a huge amount of gratification out of this project but its about what we do not who we are or what we will look like

Flight_740
03-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Will they allow smokey burnouts in the parking lots???????

Very good idea. If I had a car that kids would be interested in, I would be all in. Nothing fun about a 7 series when you have 20 muscle cars parked next to it.

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Just a shot in the dark but I emailed TMJ4 to see if they had any suggestions on what groups to reach out to. I also have a contact list for some boys & girl groups locally too

Breecher_7
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I dont own a vehicle kids would be Facinated by either, atleast not one that is currently running. But like I said, im more then willing to help out any way I can.

MoCkiN U
03-02-2008, 08:31 PM
YOUR Time is valuable!!

I have also emailed Boys & Girls Club of America. They have a office in schaumburg and a main office in Atlanta I think. I am contacting Boy Scouts of America next with big brother group next.

lordairgtar
03-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Sounds like you are on your way. Also taking a group to a hotrod shop or any shop that does performance cars. Kids might like model cars as well. Revell has a "make and take" program where you can buy bagged snap tite quicky kits.

juicedimpss
03-03-2008, 08:32 AM
this is a very thoughtful gesture,i think it will be recieved well.
keep us posted as to how it is going,and if you need help with anything. there are alot of people who know other good connections here.
Ron

MoCkiN U
03-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Got an update. Local boy scouts troop is interested along with the boys & girls club of kenosha but I am also excited that the rawhide ranch folks already have a car show and are interested in my idea and maybe doing some cruise night or BBQ type ideas for their kids.

Sounds like this thing might just make it off the ground gang

STANMAN
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't know if they would want 2 S197's, that would be kinda boring, but I mean I think this is a great idea! One on one time to kids in need is priceless!

michelle
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I'd bring the '90 down if it would be of any interest to the kids. Otherwise, I am more then willing to volunteer my time at any events or to help organize things prior to anything as well.

MoCkiN U
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
^awesome! THX all this will work out great with all this attention

lordairgtar
03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
If scheduling permits, I could donate my DJ services for the event. (God, I can't believe I said that)

lasttimearound
03-04-2008, 11:37 PM
once i get the sr back in the datsun id bring it out for something like this.