PDA

View Full Version : NHRA race in AZ

whistlin six
02-25-2008, 09:35 PM
It was a great weekend for the whole Bob Bode crew, we put #1 qualifier
Tim Wilkerson on the trailer in the first round! We're #10 in the funny car
points standings right now, hanging with the Big Dogs.

We blew the snot out of the car in the first round of qualifying Saturday.
Lost oil pressure at the hit and blew up hard around half track, pulverized
seven connecting rods and windowed the block. The force blew both sides
of the body open and nearly took the front of the car off. It was hurt bad
but we thrashed and got it turned around in time for second round.

I'm still all fired up about it...

Car Guy
02-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Damn I didn't know it was in AZ otherwise I would have gone...!!! I just got back on Sunday from Phoenix......

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

awsomeears
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Are you part of the crew ? whats the info ?
I miss warm weather

* Edit * I did some research and wow seems like a mom and Pa team, granted the money is there but you guys are running with some Big Dogs wow !!!!

So are you Mike "Bonfire" ? I checked the crew list and you were from Wisconsin.

whistlin six
02-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah I'm Mike.

Car Guy
02-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah I'm Mike.

Does the team ever need another memeber...???

:3gears: :3gears: :3gears:

whistlin six
02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
No, not right now. We've had the same crew for three years, doesn't look
like any spots are going to open up.

whistlin six
02-25-2008, 10:42 PM
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x178/nfc340/?action=view&current=IMG_0226.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x178/nfc340/?action=view&current=IMG_0225.jpg

The connecting rod bolt through the block is pretty wild.

885.0stang
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x178/nfc340/?action=view&current=IMG_0226.jpg

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x178/nfc340/?action=view&current=IMG_0225.jpg

The connecting rod bolt through the block is pretty wild.

thats some crazy sh!t there.

That_Guy
02-25-2008, 10:48 PM
wow! that engine had an epic failure

juicedimpss
02-26-2008, 08:20 AM
ouch.
that doesnt look like a cheap date.
on a positive note,that will make alot of shiney beer cans.

wheelsofsteel
02-26-2008, 02:51 PM
WHOA !!!
By the looks of those photos I would have thought Scotty K was on the team and is head of tune-ups. :D

juicedimpss
02-26-2008, 02:53 PM
WHOA !!!
By the looks of those photos I would have thought Scotty K was on the team and is head of tune-ups. :D

ahaha,that wasnt nice.

:rolf

Syclone0044
02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
WOW! Killer photos!! I love the rod bolt sticking through the block!! For years I've been hoping that when my 4.3 finally lets go, it's something like this!! :goof

whistlin six
02-26-2008, 09:44 PM
WOW! Killer photos!! I love the rod bolt sticking through the block!! For years I've been hoping that when my 4.3 finally lets go, it's something like this!! :goof

Yeah when it goes it goes. Honestly, it gets old seeing the motors come back like that. All of our time and effort turning into a pile of scrap.
Not to mention the cost of fixing or replacing the broken stuff, we use the best parts money can buy and still break sh!t all the time.
Unfortunately it happens on a semi regular basis, these engines are so
violent. One hiccup and there goes another $20k.

70 cutlass 442
02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
I cought part of it mentionintg that they are runnign 90% nitro meth to be "easier" on parts. whats the idea behind that?

whistlin six
02-27-2008, 04:50 AM
I cought part of it mentionintg that they are runnign 90% nitro meth to be "easier" on parts. whats the idea behind that?

Back in the old days teams used to run 100% nitro, it was causing too
many oil downs on the track so NHRA started limiting the % of nitro we
are able to run. 90% nitro and 10% methanol.
We run ours at around 86.5%

70challenger
02-27-2008, 07:51 AM
wow didnt know u worked on a fuel team, thats badass! always wanted to just see what goes on behind the seens i would love to try being a crew member for a day.

RCN4HIM
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Back in the old days teams used to run 100% nitro, it was causing too
many oil downs on the track so NHRA started limiting the % of nitro we
are able to run. 90% nitro and 10% methanol.
We run ours at around 86.5%

Every Nitro percentage cut back from my memory has been to slow the cars down after tradegy. The last cut came after Darryl Russels death in 04 ... they cut the Nitro to 85%. The new Fuel rule package allows 90% to cut back on the carnage (money spent) over the last few years the fuel teams have created with the supercharger overdrive/high compression to make up for the 85% cutback.

I'm not a expert here, just going off memory, It's cool that you have this position on a fuel FC team, now I have another team to root for.

BTW, didn't we race each other a few years ago in the snowmobile drags.. you riding a Polaris ??

juicedimpss
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah I'm Mike.

will you guys be racing in vegas in april?

whistlin six
02-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Every Nitro percentage cut back from my memory has been to slow the cars down after tradegy. The last cut came after Darryl Russels death in 04 ... they cut the Nitro to 85%. The new Fuel rule package allows 90% to cut back on the carnage (money spent) over the last few years the fuel teams have created with the supercharger overdrive/high compression to make up for the 85% cutback.

I'm not a expert here, just going off memory, It's cool that you have this position on a fuel FC team, now I have another team to roof for.

BTW, didn't we race each other a few years ago in the snowmobile drags.. you riding a Polaris ??

That could be true about the nitro % too. I thought I remember NHRA trying to make the events more TV friendly and reduce the downtime of track cleanups.

Yeah that was me on the Polaris, good memory.
Were you on the Ski-Doo triple???

Yeah Ron, we'll be in Vegas. You going?
That's a cool racetrack.
I like the fighter jets flying overhead all day from Nellis AFB.

juicedimpss
02-28-2008, 11:35 AM
That could be true about the nitro % too. I thought I remember NHRA trying to make the events more TV friendly and reduce the downtime of track cleanups.

Yeah Ron, we'll be in Vegas. You going?
That's a cool racetrack.
I like the fighter jets flying overhead all day from Nellis AFB.

i am goin to vegas for the race,post a good pic of the car so i know what to look for.

whistlin six
02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
i am goin to vegas for the race,post a good pic of the car so i know what to look for.

Here just go to his web site
www.bobbode.com

Cool, are you going all three days?
Stop by, I'll show you around.

70 cutlass 442
02-28-2008, 12:29 PM
any races in the midwest this year?

1fast2litre
02-28-2008, 12:31 PM
any races in the midwest this year?

Torco Racing Fuels Route 66
NHRA Nationals
Chicago, IL
June 5-8, 2008

cant wait :thumbsup

whistlin six
02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Torco Racing Fuels Route 66
NHRA Nationals
Chicago, IL
June 5-8, 2008

cant wait :thumbsup

Best facility I've ever been to right there ^^^

RCN4HIM
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=whistlin six;343078]

Yep, sold the sled on e-bay fall 06, after I bought a 700 Sabercat and a couple smaller cats for the kids.

My son (who's 8 and a rookie Jr. Dragster pilot like his older sister) and I are way too caught up with NHRA Pro Drag Racing. Last year we did St Louis, Denver, Joliet and Indy. This year we plan on Bristol, Norwak, Joliet, Indy and The inaugural NC Race at Bruton Smiths new track if it's completed on time :). We would do more but don't think mom would go for it!

I see the Bode fire made the re-cap in this weeks ND.

70challenger
02-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Best facility I've ever been to right there ^^^

i make that race every year and it still amazes me when the firs set of fuel cars go down. i mean ive gone 7.30's in a dragster, i couldnt amagine a top alcohal car much less a fuel car goin 4.40's. just has to be insane!:wooo

whistlin six
02-29-2008, 07:08 AM
i make that race every year and it still amazes me when the firs set of fuel cars go down. i mean ive gone 7.30's in a dragster, i couldnt amagine a top alcohal car much less a fuel car goin 4.40's. just has to be insane!:wooo

Yeah insane is a good way to describe it.

Cool. Make sure you stop by the pit area, Bode appreciates each and every
fan. I might be able to hook you up with a crew shirt if we have any left.
Ask for Mike, I'll show you around.