PDA

View Full Version : CDL guys.....

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I've got my cousins CDL DOT book and im studying for my test. But im not exactly what class i need.

Truck weight is under 26k lbs, trailer weight is also under 10klbs, however i will be transporting Hazordous materials. So obviously i need endorsement H, but would i need a class C or A?

From what im told i need to read up,

Sect 1 Intro /2 Driving Safety/3 Cargo/9 Hazmat

stenchmiester
02-23-2008, 01:16 PM
out of curiousity is your gas station located right by kelleys bleachers not trying to hi jack your thread

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes sir, thats the one!

88Nightmare
02-23-2008, 01:24 PM
just go for a class A, that will cover all CDL vehicles. If you don't have the availability to use a class A vehicle for a roadtest, go for B or C.

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Ya thats the thing, i really dont have access to one. My Uncle owns a Trucking company but i really will never need to drive anything bigger than what i have.

Nor do i want to do the Air Brake part.

So does that leave me with a C?

88Nightmare
02-23-2008, 01:32 PM
even if you might never use it, it still doesn't hurt to just go for the full out class A license. Never know what you might be doing in the future.

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:35 PM
True, but lets say I pass my test and dont have access to driving a truck for awhile. Then im stuck with Temps and can't actully begin hauling hazordous fuels. Or am i wrong. Im not sure how it all works. All i know is i need a CDL with Endorsment H

88Nightmare
02-23-2008, 01:37 PM
well if thats the case then go with C, but if I were in your shoes I would just go for the class A and go through a CDL school instead of the DMV directly.

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Where is a CDL school? I wanted to do that in the first place. Im a better hands on learner than just read and take it all in. My dad told me to get the Class A as well.

88Nightmare
02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
look in the phone book. there are plenty out there. They are pricey though, let me be the first to say that.

Smokey1226
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
lol I just googled "CDL School prices" and it looks like a WEEEE bit more than i was looking to spend. Ill just get a class C..and if one day i need A ill get it.

Do i need to do a road test for Class C? Or is it just a writen test and im off?

88Nightmare
02-23-2008, 01:43 PM
im pretty sure all CDL classes have road tests.

BadAzzGTA89
02-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Step one study
Step two go to DMV do the test real easy mutiple choise on a computer!!
Step three ask for the book of "CDL" companys that do road tests and it will state if they supply a truck or if you do most will have a truck and will be stated in the book!!
Also get the air brake part it is super easy just nice to have with the hazmat!!!!

Smokey1226
02-24-2008, 12:20 AM
I studying like a Mad man today. Took notes and listed all of the questions and answers (the little part that says these questions may be on the test) which everyone knows they are exactly the same questions on the test. I studied every part except double and triple trailers because i don't need that nor do i want to ever attempt to try a triple trailer.

Ill look over everything again tomorrow night, and then take the test on monday.

Then ill be takeing care of the hazmat part, and looking into where to take the road test. I never really get nervous about anything, but the road test for this seems to have me worried. But everyone else said its not hard at all......but ive never driven anything this big.

HITMAN
02-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Is this a tractor-trailer rig, Chad? If so, your going to have to get a class A license, no ifs ands or buts. I only ask because you mentioned both truck and trailer.

chargedformula
02-24-2008, 07:23 AM
i just got my class A about a month ago. i took one 4 hour class at pro cdl training at $90 an hour. which was a huge waste of money. i took my road test at woodys cdl testing in west bend. they supply the truck and trailer. its an auto 89 ford l8000 with air brakes. trailer looked to be about 25 foot flatbed. if you can back up a boat trailer you can pass this test. no need to go to a cdl school. the only down side is it cost me $175 because i had to use their truck and trailer.

beer guy
02-24-2008, 08:28 AM
Is this a tractor-trailer rig, Chad? If so, your going to have to get a class A license, no ifs ands or buts. I only ask because you mentioned both truck and trailer.

You beat me to it. If it is a tractor/trailer you need class A. Like was said before all the tests are easy just go to the dmv and tell them what you will be driving they will tell you which tests. After you take them if you fail ask for the printout of what you got wrong it will tell you exactly what pages to study in the book.

Smokey1226
02-24-2008, 08:44 AM
No, its not a tractor-trailer. It's my pickup with an 14'-16' enclosed trailer. The test shouldnt be a problem as long as i go over it one more time before.

And i have driven with quite a few small trailers and boat trailers. Just nothing bigger than 16' feet long.

UnderPSI
02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
When I went, I just took all the tests I could. I ended up with more than I needed, but nice to have. I would definitly take the air brake test. That is a good one to have for the future.

floaters
02-24-2008, 10:12 AM
all you need is hazmat endorsement, if the truck doesnt have air brakes if it does you will need to do more testing. and there is no road test for hazmat just written.

Smokey1226
02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
all you need is hazmat endorsement, if the truck doesnt have air brakes if it does you will need to do more testing. and there is no road test for hazmat just written.

No my truck doesnt have air brakes. But don't i still need to get my CDL and add the Hazmat as endorsement? Im going tomorrow but ill ask more questions when i get there. I'm thining Class A without Doubles and Triple or else Class B. That will cover me just about anything i can come across except loaded 18 wheelers.