PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: 403 olds, 350 trans, headers, exhaust ?

purpl72olds
02-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Just seeing if there is any interest in the motor, trans, and exhaust off my car. The motor would include intake to oil pan with hei distributor. The trans has a stock converter as far as I can tell with a slight shift kit. The motor has a larger than stock cam and runs well but I have never had it apart. For exhaust the motor has Hooker headers and flowmaster american thunder series 2.5" exhaust. Im thinkin $1500 for everything ? or shoot an offer. Partial trades would be accepted in form of Ls1 parts or chev 400 trans. Thanks :)

also if anyone is interested they can hear it run or even drive it once salt is off the road this spring.

Cutlass Queen
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Just seeing if there is any interest in the motor, trans, and exhaust off my car. The motor would include intake to oil pan with hei distributor. The trans has a stock converter as far as I can tell with a slight shift kit. The motor has a larger than stock cam and runs well but I have never had it apart. For exhaust the motor has Hooker headers and flowmaster american thunder series 2.5" exhaust. Im thinkin $1500 for everything ? or shoot an offer. Partial trades would be accepted in form of Ls1 parts or chev 400 trans. Thanks :)

also if anyone is interested they can hear it run or even drive it once salt is off the road this spring.

Why are you selling this? Are you going Cheby?:stare

70challenger
02-21-2008, 11:06 AM
ls1+olds FTW!!

70 cutlass 442
02-21-2008, 11:49 AM
ls1+olds FTW!!

:flipoff2: sorry guys but that has got to be the worst thing to do to an olds. I can see a mustang, but not an olds. what trans is it? short or long shaft? how much.

purpl72olds
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Why are you selling this? Are you going Cheby?:stare

Far as I knew ls1's came in pontiac's too which would make it a GM motor :thumbsup

purpl72olds
02-21-2008, 12:29 PM
:flipoff2: sorry guys but that has got to be the worst thing to do to an olds. I can see a mustang, but not an olds. what trans is it? short or long shaft? how much.

No pooing on my thread! :mad: I have no idea if it is long or short, your welcome to take a look at in person though :)

MurphysLaw88GT
02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Hell yeah Dan, Ellis Juan

Prince Valiant
02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
To me, nothing would be better (or simpler) than a nice Eddy headed, carbed, 455+ci Olds w/ just a decent cam (@ 224-ish @ .50), some 2 inch headers, 2000rpm stall TC, and 3.08 gears....fast, efficient, simple, and can drive anywhere.

But that's me...

Not a flame question, but what's the draw of the smaller LS1? Fuel injection? economy w/ power? It's because I honest think that anything people want to gain by going to the LS can be met sticking with the old-school stuff fairly simply.

Irish
02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
To me, nothing would be better (or simpler) than a nice Eddy headed, carbed, 455+ci Olds w/ just a decent cam (@ 224-ish @ .50), some 2 inch headers, 2000rpm stall TC, and 3.08 gears....fast, efficient, simple, and can drive anywhere.

But that's me...

The draw of the smaller LS1 is Fuel injection and economy w/ power!

edited for correctness!

purpl72olds
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
ls1 cheaper and more power, simple answer to me ?

Irish
02-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Don't forget the aggressive cam profiles for ls1's in comparison to the cubic inches. Not to mention, lighter, even the crappiest perimeter bolt ls1 heads flow 200cc, 6 bolt mains,
crank not hanging low like brittany spears's vag, 500" lift cam from the factory, and last but not least..... the rocker arms for an ls1 aren't as weak as the factory 455's. Crawlin walked all over a built 455 bb olds with a stock crank ls1.

Prince Valiant
02-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Don't forget the aggressive cam profiles for ls1's in comparison to the cubic inches. Not to mention, lighter, even the crappiest perimeter bolt ls1 heads flow 200cc, 6 bolt mains,
crank not hanging low like brittany spears's vag, 500" lift cam from the factory, and last but not least..... the rocker arms for an ls1 aren't as weak as the factory 455's. Crawlin walked all over a built 455 bb olds with a stock crank ls1.
Ah, but I'd think for half the price of your typical ls1 cam, I could get a custom ground solid for that olds that' pretty much match the specs of any LS cam out there...

...heads, though, there ain't much. Need some custom port work...eddy heads would flow ~ what your typical LS heads, maybe a little better. Not better than say Ls6 heads (much less lq9). With good porting, you could maybe get 300cfm...but your typical stock LS should be 230-245cfm depending on whose bench you use. Most aftermarket/worked heads should hit 300cfm, and the newest LS series heads can go over 300 fairly easy.

And then, you'd be missing the torque...that's the one thing you can't kill on an olds, for certain.

It's not that I disagree with your choice though...so please, don't take it wrong.

But, IRISH, did you know the factory stock drags (stock untouched heads with stock angle valve jobs that'd you'd find from the factory, stock manifolds, stock intake, stock carb, stock stroke, stock compression, cam that gives at least 15 inches of vacuum and sounds stock (since many of the factory stuff is worn)) Olds are hitting lower mid 12's? With stock tires and moderate gears...it's pretty impressive what that "old" stuff does.

Cutlass Queen
02-22-2008, 12:27 AM
But, IRISH, did you know the factory stock drags (stock untouched heads with stock angle valve jobs that'd you'd find from the factory, stock manifolds, stock intake, stock carb, stock stroke, stock compression, cam that gives at least 15 inches of vacuum and sounds stock (since many of the factory stuff is worn)) Olds are hitting lower mid 12's? With stock tires and moderate gears...it's pretty impressive what that "old" stuff does.

I think I just fell in love lol...jk. Very true on the Oldsmobiles. They are known for their torque. My 455 before cracking run a low 12's and that was a stock motor...too bad it didn't last another season though. The oldsmobile blocks have thin walls, a huge downfall, except for maybe a few I believe the 350 diesel blocks had a thicker wall and 1 or 2 other blocks. Depending on the letter on the heads, a stock head can flow a lot if you're lucky to get your hands on them. I could go on and on but I'll stop now :drool:

Rocket Power
02-22-2008, 06:17 AM
Ahhh the love of an Olds in an Olds is making me misty:D
I'd go with an LS1... if I had a chevelle:goof

purpl72olds
02-22-2008, 07:08 AM
So...... anyone interested ?

2000navyz
02-22-2008, 04:18 PM
putting an LS1 into his olds with a "baby" cam and headers will go low 12's no problem...dont see it being that easy with the 455...not to mention alot better gas mileage and driveability.

Prince Valiant
02-22-2008, 04:28 PM
putting an LS1 into his olds with a "baby" cam and headers will go low 12's no problem...dont see it being that easy with the 455...not to mention alot better gas mileage and driveability.Well, that settles that.

70 cutlass 442
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
how low would you go on everything, we just picked up a 455 for the cutty, but my dad wants to street drive this thing and hes as cheap as they come. mite be better just to pickup a whole drive line.

Rocket Power
02-22-2008, 09:48 PM
how low would you go on everything, we just picked up a 455 for the cutty, but my dad wants to street drive this thing and hes as cheap as they come.
Your dad ain't got nothin on me [/my thread crapping]

70challenger
02-23-2008, 04:18 AM
how low would you go on everything, we just picked up a 455 for the cutty, but my dad wants to street drive this thing and hes as cheap as they come. mite be better just to pickup a whole drive line.

johny tell your old man to buy it up! turkey needs a ls-jaun FTW!

70 cutlass 442
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Your dad ain't got nothin on me [/my thread crapping]

I know, ive got money on your car running long before ours, thats why i went to the dark side and bought a stang to build on my own, you know how my dad is :chair:

johny tell your old man to buy it up! turkey needs a ls-jaun FTW!

i just talked to him, im going to PM turkey and get his number, the 403s are garbage but for what this cars gonna do i doubt it will ever see half throttle.

Irish
02-23-2008, 08:04 PM
I had a 455 and sold it. The aftermarket support, even with mondello, is no where near that of the LSX. How long have olds motors been around compared to LSX motors.
Point proven. I thinks olds motors are good for bench racing, that's about it.
P.V. for the price of those heads I could get a used LSX long block. Yeah Olds motors have torque, with 455 CI it should. Good truck motor, tow rig etc.....

Rocket Power
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Never say Mondello with Olds unless "been ripped off by" is in there:rolf
Joe doesn't have anything much to do with it anymore and his bro in law runs it. Anything they have that would be worth getting can be gotten elsewhere for less $$$.

Cutlass Queen
02-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Joe doesn't have anything much to do with it anymore and his bro in law runs it. Anything they have that would be worth getting can be gotten elsewhere for less $$$.

Completely agreed! Mondello is extremely expensive. I bought the headers for my 455 there and walked out spending 800 bucks on them. They are an awesome set of headers but they have better been for that price. Never again from that company :chair:

70 cutlass 442
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Dont forget to mention their great technical advice " That 350 needs a 850 cfm carb to perform properly" :rolf

And dan, well be by this week, Ill call you monday after work!