PDA

View Full Version : America! F' Yeah!

Prince Valiant
02-20-2008, 10:48 PM
We shot down our disabled spy satellite on the first try, with a missle not even designed to hit satellites, much less expected to hit objects that high up :thumbsup

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UUFO9G0&show_article=1

Good shot boys! :thumbsup

nismodave
02-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Kick Ass!!

USMARINE1108
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/histind/ASAT/F15ASAT.html

It was done in the 80's. Got to love how its designed to "shoot down low orbiting satellites so they don't damage anybody on re-entry to the atmosphere."

America F' Yeah!:headbang

OxmanWI
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Power of the Red, White and Blue!!!

BadAzzGTA89
02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
That was awsome:thumbsup

70 cutlass 442
02-21-2008, 01:46 PM
if that was russia the missle would be 6x the size of that one and it woulda made it maybe waist high and blown up.

HY35F2T
02-21-2008, 01:52 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff160/brewcitymuscle/p31569.jpg

have a feeling these are going to be selling like hot cakes.:banana1:

ND4SPD
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
The Hydrazine scare was B.S., we were basically giving China the finger saying that we can shoot down satellites too (that and making sure that thing was in pieces when it came down so it couldn't be reverse-engineered by any interested parties). If anyone remembers they (China) tested their own ASAT missile a while back. I can't really blame our missile interceptor geeks though... I'd want to test that system every chance I got... because if/when it's needed you damn well want it to work.

ND4SPD
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
if that was russia the missle would be 6x the size of that one and it woulda made it maybe waist high and blown up.

There was a video clip I watched on a show a while back that showed a Chinese launch vehicle (carrying an American satellite... probably a Sirius radio satellite :D). The thing went maybe a hundred feet in the air then veered sideways and crashed in a *nearby* neighborhood.

That_Guy
02-21-2008, 02:05 PM
sweet ass missiles ftw

Al
02-21-2008, 10:16 PM
The neat thing about this missile is that it was not designed to detonate on impact. Rather, it was designed to simply hit the target like a bullet. The satelite was also in low earth orbit, so if a missile hit it and went through it, that debris would follow an eliptical projection and crash back into the planet on its return path. Most everything else that didn't come quickly to earth would eventually be slowed down by the very thin atmosphere at that altitude.

China relied on a huge explosion to bring thier satellite down. In reality, you could be a mile away and still bring the thing down because of the miniature fragments don't slow down in space.

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2008, 10:21 PM
eric cartman says. you will respect my authoritayyy

lordairgtar
02-21-2008, 10:44 PM
I like how Russia and China pissed and moaned about our flexing our muscles. I am sure they would have more to say if we just allowed that satellite to degrade orbit on its own and come down on some densely populated area in their regions. Hydrazine or not, there was nothing on that satellite that anyone didn't know already thanks to Clinton giving that technology to the Chinese. Reverse engineering things already known makes no sense.

Cryptic
02-21-2008, 11:13 PM
shit given to other countries is all exploitable useless crap.

slickwilly
02-21-2008, 11:17 PM
They spent a month figuring out how to hit an object that was moving on a predictable path with a highly sophisticated weapon that had an onboard guidance system. It's not rocket science.

:D

lordairgtar
02-21-2008, 11:18 PM
They spent a month figuring out how to hit an object that was moving on a predictable path with a highly sophisticated weapon that had an onboard guidance system. It's not rocket science.

:D
If they used a rocket and science to figure trajectory, wouldn't that be rocket science?

Prince Valiant
02-21-2008, 11:45 PM

:DActually, that was the thing...it really wasn't going as predicted, hence the difficulty of shooting it down. I had heard it's orbit was erractic, hence they couldn't predict where it'd fall.

Odd too, because an orbit is simply something falling to the earth, but going fast enough in a direction as to miss the earth, so it's always falling. So how does it fall "erratically" w/o power? That I can't explain.

Still, it's hard though...the satellite was traveling faster than a missle would, so this was actually harder than a "bullet hitting a bullet" scenario...