PDA

View Full Version : No front plate law?

Lash
02-17-2008, 09:45 PM
Apparently it didn't get passed to get rid of it?

Got pulled over tonight for no front plate. Got a 10 day fix it ticket. I asked the cop if they are going to get rid of that law....said he's never even heard that they were thinking about getting rid of it.

88Nightmare
02-17-2008, 09:47 PM
I never heard that they were trying to get rid of it either. They better get rid of it soon, my front plate is getting more and more ****ed up by the day. From it getting bumped and whatnot, the thing is all twisted and twacko looking

Brandon W.
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
ive never had a front plate on any of my dsm's...never had any trouble's. *shrug*

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-17-2008, 09:53 PM
I think some state representative mentioned it as a cost saving measure the state could enact, like saving $500,000 in a trillion dollar budget would be noticed.........:rolleyes:

Been driving one car or another with no front plate since 00 here with 2 10 days warnings and then a plate was affixed for a half hour to get the ticket dropped.

UnderPSI
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I only got a fix-it once. Duct taped it on, officer said "good enough for him" that was 8 years ago.

Cryptic
02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
^ that's hilarious.

I always kept the front plate on. I've been busted for tint twice. One I couldn't get out of and it cost me $165.50. I didn't want to give them another reason to pull me over.

Statute: TR305.32(4) Illegal Window Tint

Lash
02-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah...I counted at least 10 cars without front plates while I was siting there. I felt like saying something but really just wanted to get home...lol.

Lash
02-17-2008, 10:11 PM
^ that's hilarious.

I always kept the front plate on. I've been busted for tint twice. One I couldn't get out of and it cost me $165.50. I didn't want to give them another reason to pull me over.

Statute: TR305.32(4) Illegal Window Tint

I actually though that was what he was pulling me over for. I have 20% all the way around.....and 15% on the back (Dodge Ram). He never said a word about that though.

pw_cc_runner
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Here is the exact legal code from TRANS 341.15 in case anyone is wondering...

Display of registration plates.
(1) Whenever 2 registration plates are issued for a vehicle, one plate shall be
attached to the front and one to the rear of the vehicle. Whenever
only one registration plate is issued for a vehicle, the plate shall be attached as follows:

(a) If the vehicle is a truck tractor or road tractor or a motor
truck issued the plate under s. 341.405 (2), to the front.

(b) For any other vehicle for which only one plate is issued, to
the rear, except that a plate issued to or for a municipality under
s. 341.26 (2m) may be attached to the front of the vehicle if the
design or use of the vehicle is such as to make a plate attached to
the rear difficult to see and read. (1m) (a) Except as provided in par.
(b), any registration decal or tag issued by the department shall be placed on the rear registration plate of the vehicle in the manner directed by the department. (b) Any registration decal or tag issued by the department for
a truck tractor, road tractor or motor truck under sub.

(1) (a) or for any other vehicle which may bear a registration plate attached to the front as provided in sub.

(1) (b) shall be placed on the front registration
plate of the vehicle in the manner directed by the department.

(2) Registration plates shall be attached firmly and rigidly in
a horizontal position and conspicuous place. The plates shall at
all times be maintained in a legible condition and shall be so displayed
that they can be readily and distinctly seen and read. Any
peace officer may require the operator of any vehicle on which
plates are not properly displayed to display such plates as required
by this section.

(3) Any of the following may be required to forfeit not more
than $200:

(a) A person who operates a vehicle for which a current registration
plate, insert tag, decal or other evidence of registration has
been issued without such plate, tag, decal or other evidence of registration
being attached to the vehicle, except when such vehicle
is being operated pursuant to a temporary operation permit or
plate;

(b) A person who operates a vehicle with a registration plate
attached in a non−rigid or non−horizontal manner or in an inconspicuous
place so as to make it difficult to see and read the plate;

(c) A person who operates a vehicle with a registration plate
in an illegible condition due to the accumulation of dirt or other
foreign matter.

sloLs1
02-17-2008, 10:16 PM
i never run a front plate... but have had too many tickets and warnings for it to remeber.... in my EVO alone i think i had 4!

TURTLE
02-17-2008, 10:39 PM
no front plate bracket, no front plate... my bumper doesn't have any holes to mount one to anymore... so if they come at me to drill a hole to mount a plate, i'll ask if i can drill a hole in a random spot in their own personal car...:chair:

LIZMO
02-17-2008, 10:44 PM
i don't have a front plate on my 240, and got pulled over and got a warning once, but i never put it on.. good luck so far. hah.

ND4SPD
02-17-2008, 11:05 PM
As I posted in a different thread, I've only been pulled over once for no front plate. No fix-it ticket or anything, the cop just harassed me about it. The reason he may not have ticketed me for it is because at the time I was on the city fire department (volunteer) and I was on my way back to the station to fill out paperwork after a call. The call that I was returning from came in as something very very serious and we were having trouble getting into the building in question because we didn't have "knox box" keys. Well, the cops have them in their squads. The particular cop that pulled me over was sitting nearby running radar and decided that what he was doing was far too important to be interrupted by something as insignificant as say... saving a life?
I was already fuming mad about him ignoring our request for him to respond so I'm glad he didn't push the issue because I could have (and probably should have) reported him for dereliction of duty. Damn small town cops.

pOrk
02-17-2008, 11:13 PM
no front plate bracket, no front plate... my bumper doesn't have any holes to mount one to anymore... so if they come at me to drill a hole to mount a plate, i'll ask if i can drill a hole in a random spot in their own personal car...:chair:

I'm so sick of hearing this gay excuse :loser

It came factor with a bracket or bumper that allowed for the afixation of the front lisc plate. If it didn't and you are worried, you can always have it installed professionally at 90 bucks an hour at your local service center.

A hole drilled randomly in someones vehicle is totally different then a hole drilled where there should be one for abiding by local / state laws.

I don't like it anymore then you, but that response was gay so I needed to top it with this one.

Burgandy85SS
02-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I dont even know where the hell I put the front plates for my cars. I never use them and never will. Got a fix it warning once zip tied it to the grill of my SS and they said ok then got home and cut it off.

PureSound15
02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
I think the law sucks, but I've been pulled over 10+ times with no front plate and haven't had a problem with it. I've been lucky I suppse :banana

wikked
02-18-2008, 01:40 AM
I think you are thinking of the no more emissions law?

Never heard of the no more front plate law :P

Syclone0044
02-18-2008, 02:32 AM
If I recall correctly, there WAS proposed legislation for the 2008 state budget that included cutting out the front plates, but this legislation did not make it into law. Maybe next time this comes up we should organize ourselves with other hot-rod forums and get everyone to complain at the same time so they hear a strong amount of support for this idea.

TURTLE
02-18-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm so sick of hearing this gay excuse :loser

It came factor with a bracket or bumper that allowed for the afixation of the front lisc plate. If it didn't and you are worried, you can always have it installed professionally at 90 bucks an hour at your local service center.

A hole drilled randomly in someones vehicle is totally different then a hole drilled where there should be one for abiding by local / state laws.

I don't like it anymore then you, but that response was gay so I needed to top it with this one.

really? my 02 didn't have one when i picked it up from the dealership, used... it also didn't have one when the insurance company fixxed it the first time...

and if ya really wanna get people riled up, tell 'em to put front plates on a C5 or a 4th gen commonaro:goof

pork>:chair:<common sense on this issue:goof

Slow Joe
02-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Our Saab don't have holes or a bracket... But the Saab dealership offered to sell us one & install it for $50... I declined... I'm not putting anything on til I'm asked by an officer...

CannotPost
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
My car has magnets behind the bumper cover, I can pull it off / put it on anytime.

Yooformula
02-18-2008, 09:06 AM
really? my 02 didn't have one when i picked it up from the dealership, used... it also didn't have one when the insurance company fixxed it the first time...
and if ya really wanna get people riled up, tell 'em to put front plates on a C5 or a 4th gen commonaro:goof
pork>:chair:<common sense on this issue:goof

lame excuse, good luck getting a cop or a judge to listen to that one. Fyi a 4th gen comes with holes either in the front grill or a bracket that holds the plate from underneath, hell even the firebirds have holes BEHIND the cover for them. if the peon didnt have holes its probably cause it was a new bumper after the prev tool wrecked it:goof

Z Speed
02-18-2008, 09:10 AM
how come corvettes get away with it...... guess if u pay up the ass for a car your excused eh?

Yooformula
02-18-2008, 09:13 AM
thats like asking them to ticket harley owners for loud pipes...at this point, why bother?

Slow Joe
02-18-2008, 09:17 AM
My car has magnets behind the bumper cover, I can pull it off / put it on anytime.

Huh? License plates are aluminum, therefore aren't attracted by magnets...

CannotPost
02-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Huh? License plates are aluminum, therefore aren't attracted by magnets...

My front plate has a thin magnet strip glued to the back as well, I also glued a piece of foam rubber to cover the whole back side of the plate.

70challenger452
02-18-2008, 10:12 AM
never have had a problem with it on my car. But cops let a lot of shit fly when it's a muslce car.

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
It don't matter if you drive a peon, a vette, a zonda or a veyron if your state gives you 2 plates you are REQUIRED BY LAW to display 2 plates, if you car did not have holes or a bracket those can be added.

Last time I got pulled over on highway I was in my S10 Xtreme and this idiot cop pulls me over for having car plates on a truck, (he thought I had scammer plates off a Buick or some crap on my damn near brand new truck ? )
I told him that was what Madison sent me and I been renewing them for a few years, this jerk proceed's top tell me he did not run my plate but told me I should call Madison and make sure it was the right plate. I didn't believe for a second that he did not run my plate.
What was funny was that I had no front plate and illegal tint that he said nothing about, I blew off the call Madison BS and headed off the highway for the night, ticket free. :D

Heat Seeker WS6
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
The F40 had to have a plate put on its front. But I havent had a front for a few years and havent been bothered at all.

84hurst
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I too got one of those tickets. It was in Greendale back in August. It was something like $68 if I didn't get it fixed. I bit the bullet and put the plate on. :crying

Syclone0044
02-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey John, what is the story on how the F40 got required to add a front plate? That's some nerve!!

Deggy
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I never got questioned ever when getting pulled over. I don't even know where my front plate is.

Heat Seeker WS6
02-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey John, what is the story on how the F40 got required to add a front plate? That's some nerve!!

lol he got pulled over :durr He made a bracket so he can put on the plate only when he needs to now. Culvers last summer with bracket- minus plate :thumbsup

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k213/Heat_Seeker_WS6/album%202/F40platemount2.jpg

Silver03SRT
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I never had a front plate on my cars. I have been pulled over before and they never once mentioned my plate or my tint.

TURTLE
02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Fyi a 4th gen comes with holes either in the front grill or a bracket that holds the plate from underneath, hell even the firebirds have holes BEHIND the cover for them. if the peon didnt have holes its probably cause it was a new bumper after the prev tool wrecked it:goof

i know they have a way to affix the plate, but how many owners actually do it.. and how many get away with it...

and the neon had 5k on it when i got it... not wrecked... i was the first one to put a buick sized dent in it:goof:stare:rolf

Z28Roxy
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I got a "warning" for no front plate and tint.

In california though.

Like hell am I putting a front plate on my car.

Mr Twigbert
02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Anytime you can get a fix it ticket I say run with it.. No fine, no points.. Just 30 minutes to tape it up and drive it to the police station to get the citation dropped.. I say its worth it..

Although, I'm a fan of being SUPER POLITE to the cop.. It makes them question if they should even issue the citation to such a nice person.. I think being super nice gets you a 50/50 chance of getting out of the ticket..

Yellow2k1vette
02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Although, I'm a fan of being SUPER POLITE to the cop.. It makes them question if they should even issue the citation to such a nice person.. I think being super nice gets you a 50/50 chance of getting out of the ticket..I generally agree with you, and I was very polite to the trooper that stopped me for the sole reason of no front plate.

After he handed the warning, I certainly thanked him for spending his time keeping the roads safe from dangerous drivers like myself. :D :rolleyes:

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Anytime you can get a fix it ticket I say run with it.. No fine, no points.. Just 30 minutes to tape it up and drive it to the police station to get the citation dropped.. I say its worth it..
I agree, except for tint since the cost to re-tint and the ticket are a wash.

Although, I'm a fan of being SUPER POLITE to the cop.. It makes them question if they should even issue the citation to such a nice person.. I think being super nice gets you a 50/50 chance of getting out of the ticket..
Agree ! Agree ! and its not to much to ask to be nice for 3 minutes while talking to another human. :thumbsup Beside, we usually did the crime. :rolf

SSDude
02-18-2008, 09:17 PM
ive never had a front plate on any of my dsm's...

Besides:thumbsup you wouldn't want to damage your front plate when you hit the guy in front of you

TURTLE
02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Besides:thumbsup you wouldn't want to damage your front plate when you hit the guy in front of you

oh snap!:stare

and for the record, every time i have been pulled over for something in my short driving record, i've been polite and courteous to the officer(s)... hasn't gotten me out of anything, but i've done it... lol