PDA

View Full Version : personal plate lookup

70 cutlass 442
02-17-2008, 04:42 PM
does anyone have that license plate look up link still? i think it was lost when the server crashed and that seemed to be pretty useful. thanks :thumbsup

Yellow2k1vette
02-17-2008, 05:28 PM
https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/pinq/PinqServlet?whoami=pinqp1

:haveabeer

slickwilly
02-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Hm, I'm looking on the DMV site right now and can't find it. The Michigan one was always easy to find, lol.

While we're on the topic of plates though, I wanted to ask if there was any way to get around putting a front license plate on a car that doesn't have a mounting location. I really don't want to ugly up the front of whatever I buy.

slickwilly
02-17-2008, 05:33 PM
https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/pinq/PinqServlet?whoami=pinqp1

wtf, you can look up other peoples' plates for free? That's kinda scary...

Rocket Power
02-17-2008, 05:34 PM
While we're on the topic of plates though, I wanted to ask if there was any way to get around putting a front license plate on a car that doesn't have a mounting location. I really don't want to ugly up the front of whatever I buy.

If you don't mind tickets

Yellow2k1vette
02-17-2008, 05:45 PM
wtf, you can look up other peoples' plates for free? That's kinda scary...It doesn't give you any info, other than the year/make car the plates are attached to.

This really isn't intended to be used for checking availability of personalized plates...but it does kinda work for that. If no data comes back for your choice, then it's likely the plate is still available.

If you want to know for sure if a plate is available before you send in your registration form, you can email special-plates.dmv@dot.state.wi.us and ask.
That is what I did..I emailed them 4 or 5 choices, and they replied the next day informing me which ones were available. I then sent in my registration form and a check, and a month or so later, got my plates.

ND4SPD
02-17-2008, 08:16 PM
If you don't mind tickets

I haven't had a front plate for 11 years now on any of my vehicles and I have only been pulled over for it once... and that was 11 years ago. :D

Rocket Power
02-17-2008, 09:50 PM
That may be true , but if someone is going to run around w/o a front plate, don't b*tch if you get a ticket.

341.15(1)
Whenever 2 registration plates are issued for a vehicle, one plate shall be attached to the front and one to the rear of the vehicle. :D

wikked
02-18-2008, 01:35 AM
does anyone have that license plate look up link still? i think it was lost when the server crashed and that seemed to be pretty useful. thanks :thumbsup

[search] <---- use it :thumbsup

Syclone0044
02-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Yeah that theory of no front plate works great............until one day it doesn't. For me I got nailed right in my own home town. Strange they would take 6 years to notice. Cop was a real prick about it too. Ended up just being some bullshit that a different cop signed off for me.

I did my own research and I think I found that the ratio of cars with no front plate in the general population is fairly low but somewhere around 5-10 cars out of 100.