PDA

View Full Version : Toyota/Nissan Truck Advice.....

Car Guy
02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm currently down in AZ (don’t hate :D ) and my cousin is looking for a early-late 90's Toyota or Nissan 4x4 5-speed with either the 4 or 6 cylinder. Just wondering if there are any major problems to be concerned with like head gaskets, transmission, or drive train issues. He's not a 'car guy' so any issues he would have to get fixed at a shop and he doesn't want to dump a ton of $$$ into something.....

I'm still in shock how HOT trucks like these are down here and how much $$$ they demand. We located 5 that were exactly what he was looking for but they were all sold almost immediately. For the latest one (last night) we were ready to drive the 2 hours to Prescott but got a call from the owner at the last minute saying that someone showed up with cash and bought it on the spot with no questions asked....

Any input is much appreciated...!!!

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

OxmanWI
02-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Buy a Ford or Chevy, there's my imput...

Breecher_7
02-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Buy a Chevy, there's my imput...

Corrected :thumbsup

On a serious note though, i think he is safe with a yota.

Car Guy
02-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Buy a Ford or Chevy, there's my imput...

I appreciate your imput but as much as I'm a Ford guy when it comes to small(er) trucks the big three has nothing on the 'foreign' ones if you ask me.....

I've seen them take abuse and hold up beyond my wildest predictions, and that's from many first and second hand experiences.....

Slow Joe
02-15-2008, 07:06 PM
If I remember right, Coop will know best... But Older V6 Toyota Trucks have headgasket problems... My friend Laura's blew the head gasket at 105k on her '93...

OxmanWI
02-15-2008, 07:16 PM
OMG I spelled input wrong! ooooh no! Arrrrrrgh!

Sorry but I see a lot more older Rangers and S10s on the road then imported trucks here in Milwaukee. I would never trust anything other then the big three, mostly Ford and Chevy.

Car Guy
02-15-2008, 07:18 PM

Sorry but I see a lot more older Rangers and S10s on the road then imported trucks here in Milwaukee. I would never trust anything other then the big three, mostly Ford and Chevy.

That's because the number of 'big 3' trucks produced far outweigh the foreign ones, and it's the same thing down here.....

Brandon W.
02-15-2008, 07:24 PM

i trust me not "big 3" vehicle everyday..and it never lets me down :) :)

Slow Joe
02-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Didn't you get a dodge truck?

Oh, and adding on...

I've had multiple Small Pick-Ups... Mainly Rangers and S-10s... And I've had good luck...

Yooformula
02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
why does he need a 4x4 in Arizona?

Brandon W.
02-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Didn't you get a dodge truck?

Oh, and adding on...

I've had multiple Small Pick-Ups... Mainly Rangers and S-10s... And I've had good luck...

i drive a mitsubishi eclipse meng...who the hell would DD a truck that gets 12 MPG

OxmanWI
02-15-2008, 09:05 PM
That's because the number of 'big 3' trucks produced far outweigh the foreign ones, and it's the same thing down here.....

That's because they have a better product...

What?

Car Guy
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
That's because they have a better product...

No offense but that's just not true, look at what they're all going for. Supply and demand determines everything and foreign trucks sell for wayyyy more than 'big 3' trucks no matter how you slice it.....

Cjburn
02-15-2008, 09:45 PM
If you stick with Toyota's 4 cylinder pickups, you pretty much can't kill them. The 6 cylinder was known for head gasket problems. Nissan's V6's are consistently some of the best built, their 4 cylinders in the trucks were KA24E's and were pretty damned strong also.

Al
02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Old Toyotas tend to have some sort of issue with the computer which is located in the passenger footwell. Other than that, they rock.

If you are lucky, try to find a McFly one...ya know, the one in Back to the Future.

Car Guy
02-15-2008, 11:12 PM
How about this one...??? Gotta love the 80's, I'd drive it.....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=237488411&dealer_id=61875835&car_year=1988&model=NISPU&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=NISSAN&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85307&advanced=y&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=25

70challenger
02-16-2008, 01:49 AM
ill probably get flamed for this but dodge dakotas are almost idestructable! i had a 92 v8 4x4 and it went through hell as alot of my other buddies dakotas before upgrading to rams. u can find em at a reasonable price and they simply wont break! trust me ive tried hard as a 16 year old long ago!

stenchmiester
02-16-2008, 02:45 AM
the 22re 4cyl motor was a tough motor im sure slols1 can agree with me we have a buddy whos got one sittin on 35s and stll held it wide open through the mud all day long and it fianlly died after some bs head gasket but none the less the 22 re is the same motor that came in the isuzu 4 cyl pup (short for pick up truck) and my isuzu was used and abused and finally died when it the low oil light never came back on .......... bunred out bulbs ftl

WickedSix
02-16-2008, 02:57 AM
toyota 4x4 4 cylinder 5 speed hands down... toyota v6 those year WILL pop a head gasket... the 4 cyl has an issue too... listen for a whistle to a scrrech sound under the timing cover.... for some reason on the 22re they went to plastic chain guides.... they like to crack apart and fall to the bottom of the pan (won't hurt engine, taken at least 20 pans off with bits of this in them no ill affects to the internals) but once the guide is gone the chain starts digging into the water pump housing and will eventually wear through and mix alot of coolant with your engine oil and then yer screwed. The fix.... they sell replacement guides than have a steel backing... I use to buy the double row timing chain kit from LCengineering (http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=BD36724A-4041-4839-9016-4EF5F0F82222) :thumbsup

88Nightmare
02-16-2008, 03:14 AM
i drive a mitsubishi eclipse meng...who the hell would DD a truck that gets 12 MPG

so the dodge ram is your weekend cruiser? lol you never make sense :rolf :rolf :rolf

77thor
02-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I have a 97 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with a V6, that I bought new.... the only issue I have ever had with it is with the parking brake cable freezing up a couple of times..... it's a great truck.