PDA

View Full Version : Dumb DNR Fine

DirtyMax
02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Oshkosh - The state's Department of Natural Resources says that an animal shot and killed by a hunter in Winnebago County was a gray wolf, not a coyote.

The animal was killed in the town of Nekimi and was first believed to be a coyote.

But DNR officials spent several weeks testing it to determine the species and now say it's a gray wolf.

DNR officials say they'll levy the minimum fine of $306.30 against a Brandon hunter who killed it and will not revoke his license.

Authorities say that's because the hunter was forthcoming in the incident and investigation.

Winnebago County is not traditional or normal wolf range, but it's not uncommon for young wolves to roam hundreds of miles.

I know all about being sure of your target, blah blah blah... but seriously...

So it took the dummies at the DNR weeks up close indoors to even confirm that it was a wolf yet they'll still fine a hunter who had about 3 seconds to make a decision. :confused

It must have been a small wolf and look awfully lot like a Coyote if the boneheads at the DNR took weeks to differentiate it. Honestly at a distance, size is one of the few ways to even tell them apart, especially when they're at full coat like now.

That group is full of a lot of numbskulls. They've totally fuct everything up in the past few years due to poor decision making. Most notably deer population #'s, turkey #'s, letting wolf population get out of hand (and now fining people for shooting "wolves" where they've never even been seen before :rolleyes:, fish stocking, other rec. vehicle laws... I could go on and on. :(

SSDude
02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Oshkosh - The state's Department of Natural Resources says that an animal shot and killed by a hunter in Winnebago County was a gray wolf, not a coyote.

The animal was killed in the town of Nekimi and was first believed to be a coyote.

But DNR officials spent several weeks testing it to determine the species and now say it's a gray wolf.

DNR officials say they'll levy the minimum fine of $306.30 against a Brandon hunter who killed it and will not revoke his license.

Authorities say that's because the hunter was forthcoming in the incident and investigation.

Winnebago County is not traditional or normal wolf range, but it's not uncommon for young wolves to roam hundreds of miles.

I know all about being sure of your target, blah blah blah... but seriously...

So it took the dummies at the DNR weeks up close indoors to even confirm that it was a wolf yet they'll still fine a hunter who had about 3 seconds to make a decision. :confused

It must have been a small wolf and look awfully lot like a Coyote if the boneheads at the DNR took weeks to differentiate it. Honestly at a distance, size is one of the few ways to even tell them apart, especially when they're at full coat like now.

That group is full of a lot of numbskulls. They've totally fuct everything up in the past few years due to poor decision making. Most notably deer population #'s, turkey #'s, letting wolf population get out of hand (and now fining people for shooting "wolves" where they've never even been seen before :rolleyes:, fish stocking, other rec. vehicle laws... I could go on and on. :(

^X2

Deggy
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow, that is really dumb.

Breecher_7
02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Its dumb, but I still back the DNR. THey have to put up with alot of stupid people, once and a while an innocent person is gonna get screwed.

Knyghtmare
02-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Dont forget that the DNR is the reason we get these god damn annoying asian beetles everywhere all the time...

DirtyMax
02-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I back their cause. Their biologists, however, seem to make some very poor decisions.

SSDude
02-17-2008, 06:34 PM
If they have to use a laboratory and it takes them several weeks to conclusively determine if it's a wolf then how in the world is a hunter in the field supposed to positively I.D. a young wolf from a coyote in seconds. They should give the guy a break.

oneslowcamino
02-17-2008, 06:40 PM
If they have to use a laboratory and it takes them several weeks to conclusively determine if it's a wolf then how in the world is a hunter in the field supposed to positively I.D. a young wolf from a coyote in seconds. They should give the guy a break.

I agree with you 100%, but I think what the DNR might be trying to get at is if you can tell if its a gray wolf or a coyote then you shouldn't pull the trigger. They should give the guy a break.

Syclone0044
02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
The DNR has WAY too much power IMO. They are like the local police combined with the feds all in one unholy package with no apparent supervision. Who watches the DNR to make sure they are doing their job correctly and not abusing their power?