PDA

View Full Version : diesel truck guys....

sloLs1
02-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a friend with a 2001 Dodge pickup with the 5.9 cummings in it... he wants to get a turbo back exhaust for it. My question is what size should he get??? theres 4in 5in and even a 6in! He only plans on installing a programer and intake. any ideas???:confused

Breecher_7
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
4" is more then sufficiant. He could go 5" if he "just has to have it" and 6" is just completely assanine and pointless.

Mabey he should get some "stacks" :alcoholic :rolf

Im going 4" on my new Dmax.

70challenger
02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
4" is more than adequate for that application. as breecher said, 5" and 6" is more for bragging rights and looks. i dont really think you'll see an hp differance. check with smokinram on that stuff hes the guru!

sloLs1
02-13-2008, 10:41 PM
thanks for the info!

70 cutlass 442
02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
At least hes the good diesel to start working with! and agreed on the 4"

88Nightmare
02-14-2008, 12:16 AM
I second the 4". 5" gives a deeeep throaty sound, and the bragging rights. I never even heard of a 6", but that seems like a waste.

SmokinRAM114
02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
6 exhaust is useless unless of coarse there staks HAHA. 5in will be more deep mellow sounding straight but also adds droan inside the truck, if he doesnt plan on running a muffler. if hes anything like anybody else and starts modding its only a snowball effect for more after that. if hes looking for more power in the future 5in will help egts a little more if he adds injectors. there are nice aluminized exhaust systems for cheap out there in the $300-400 range. if he wants he can get stainless but its ALOT more money.

also to help your buddy out here what programmer is he looking to use?? An Edge product like a Comp box (youll have to add your own gauges) or the juice with attitude (monitor with built in gauges). those are the best imo. they have a fully adjustable power settings and such. the problem is those use quite a bit of fuel when you "tap" the pump wire and could result in low fuel psi (4psi or less at wot). If he runs gauges he should think about a fuel psi gauge. In the long run it may save him from starving the injection pump and spending the $1100 on a new pump in the future. the factory lift pumps are really weak to begin with. Dodge thaught they came up with a better idea and put intank pumps in as replacements to some but they are just as bad and a bigger pain in the ass to replace. If hes looking to run just a programmer look into a MAD SMARTY. the avg consumer probly hasnt heard about this programmer unless ur big into the forums and such. it has the best towing and street friendly fueling levels. It can read and clear dtc's, adjust tire size, add high idle feature, and more. its more money then a simpl superchip but worth it! http://smartypower.com/new/vpsmarty.html

UnderPSI
02-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I would get 4" silverline or MBRP. I think Kilpatricks can get either.

GRNDNL
02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I put a 4" MBRP on the Excursion a few years ago, fit great and sounds nice. If your keeping the truck for more than a few years spend the $$$ and get stainless...

sloLs1
02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
6 exhaust is useless unless of coarse there staks HAHA. 5in will be more deep mellow sounding straight but also adds droan inside the truck, if he doesnt plan on running a muffler. if hes anything like anybody else and starts modding its only a snowball effect for more after that. if hes looking for more power in the future 5in will help egts a little more if he adds injectors. there are nice aluminized exhaust systems for cheap out there in the $300-400 range. if he wants he can get stainless but its ALOT more money.

also to help your buddy out here what programmer is he looking to use?? An Edge product like a Comp box (youll have to add your own gauges) or the juice with attitude (monitor with built in gauges). those are the best imo. they have a fully adjustable power settings and such. the problem is those use quite a bit of fuel when you "tap" the pump wire and could result in low fuel psi (4psi or less at wot). If he runs gauges he should think about a fuel psi gauge. In the long run it may save him from starving the injection pump and spending the $1100 on a new pump in the future. the factory lift pumps are really weak to begin with. Dodge thaught they came up with a better idea and put intank pumps in as replacements to some but they are just as bad and a bigger pain in the ass to replace. If hes looking to run just a programmer look into a MAD SMARTY. the avg consumer probly hasnt heard about this programmer unless ur big into the forums and such. it has the best towing and street friendly fueling levels. It can read and clear dtc's, adjust tire size, add high idle feature, and more. its more money then a simpl superchip but worth it! http://smartypower.com/new/vpsmarty.html

thank for the info... and i already warned him about the lift pumps and such!

I put a 4" MBRP on the Excursion a few years ago, fit great and sounds nice. If your keeping the truck for more than a few years spend the $$$ and get stainless...

stainless is deffinatly the way to go with all the salt out there, but its up to him...

slickwilly
02-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry to potentially hijack the thread, but I found a muffler and tailpipe for a diesel truck (I think anyhow) in the garage attic. I could get pics of it if anyone thought they could identify it/would be interested in buying it.

I'm not good with sizing but it appears to be a 3", mandrel bent. Very slightly used, no rust just a bit of copper/purple colorization.