PDA

View Full Version : New to BCM

GreenZ
09-18-2003, 10:23 PM
I just got linked to BCM by google, and am glad to see that there's a forum in NE WI that has people who know what they're talking about. I'm from Green Bay, and have relatives in the Milw. area. I'd love to take my 95 Z28 down the next time I visit and cruise with some new faces, but I've got to ask for some help first: I over-revved the 383(6800rpm) and it bent a valve, so i'm going to replace all of them at once. I need new valves, springs, pushrods and all the misc. hardware that goes with it, but I'd like to talk with someone about the install and possible complications before I start this because the most important thing is doing it right while learning about my car.

Silver350
09-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Welcome to Brew City Muscle! I am sure you will get an answer to your question when one of many of the F-body guys on here replies.

NicktheNewGuy
09-18-2003, 10:51 PM
yah f-body guys run rampant in this fourm!!!:headbang :headbang

Cryptic
09-18-2003, 10:53 PM
welcome to BCM :shades

Yooformula
09-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by GreenZ
I just got linked to BCM by google, and am glad to see that there's a forum in NE WI that has people who know what they're talking about. I'm from Green Bay, and have relatives in the Milw. area. I'd love to take my 95 Z28 down the next time I visit and cruise with some new faces, but I've got to ask for some help first: I over-revved the 383(6800rpm) and it bent a valve, so i'm going to replace all of them at once. I need new valves, springs, pushrods and all the misc. hardware that goes with it, but I'd like to talk with someone about the install and possible complications before I start this because the most important thing is doing it right while learning about my car.

Welcome!

Where did you have the work done initially? Got any pics?There are some folks here that have extensive experience with LT1's otherwise there are some shops in the Ill area that do a ton of work on Fbodies.:haveabeer

Knyghtmare
09-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Welcome to BCM

lotsals1
09-19-2003, 12:49 AM
well the worst thing would be a giude is messed up , the guides are the most important part of a valve job --try to find a shop that does a lot of sprint car machineing they are usually IMO the best at valve work--I would be learey about just putting in new valves and not haveing the guides looked at
the valves must of floated real bad to bend up a valve --and if you are runnin it with that bent valve in it -i would bet the guide is ovaled ,and it would suck oil through the guide on a negetive rev " like a downshift or something" trust me if you have the heads off --do it right ;)

GreenZ
09-19-2003, 04:26 AM
Pics are at http://sledgehammer.cz28.com . The engine was done in Austin Texas by Eric Konig Inc. As for the heads, I haven't removed them yet- I'm still trying to figure out if this is a job for the mechanically uninclined. I'll bribe people with beer if they know their stuff and want to help!

Right now, I'm looking to Summit Racing to provide parts, and a race shop near WIR to do the 3 angle valve job to match the heads. I hadn't seen valve guides in summit's catalog, but I'll look into it. I only want the best for this car, but I couldn't afford the $3000 estimate by my mechanic to do it all for me.

Crawlin
09-19-2003, 08:19 AM
You might want to check out www.wisconsinstreetdominators.com for some more local people to you. Most of that board is from the Fondy area and some from Stevens Point, etc.. Most of them hit up WIR on a regular basis, so since you are from that area, yo ucould post asking for a good machine shop that they use. Some VERY HIGH HP cars up there. Old school muscle, but still. Otherwise, check out www.ls1speed.com The shop's name is Speed Inc. and they specialize in LT1/LS1/GN cars. I don't know where Dennis is since he hasn't been posting much, but 95 T/A Beast is his screenname and he's very knowledgeable about LT1's as is Kory 88 Iroc(screenname). If you put up a post for Dennis, maybe he could even do it for a sidejob while you are down here in Milwaukee? Don't know how much he'd charge, so that's something to work out with him. Good luck and I hope you get it running soon!

Chris

GreenZ
09-19-2003, 08:49 AM
not driveable as it stands:( well, i could, but i'm decent enough to not screw it up any more. I'd like to make my car into one of those "high hp" cars, but without 3k to spend on a valvejob, you can bet i dont have 3k to spend on a supercharger. Thanks for the responses, and keep driving while the weather is nice!

Kory 88Iroc lt1
09-19-2003, 08:58 AM
Dennis's net connection is down.
if you email me I will see that he gets it.
How much of the work do you plan on doing yourself? Let me know what you need done. I'll see that Dennis gets back to you.
Stock valves are cheap. THere is a local shop that does good work that can do the valve job, guide work. It shouldn't be anywhere near 3k unless something else is wrong.

email me at imkory@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Kory

BadAzzGTA89
09-19-2003, 04:32 PM
Welcome to BCM nice camaro you got there i like that color:thumbsup

GreenZ
09-20-2003, 04:42 AM
Thanks- I love the color too. At first, I was shopping for black, but when I saw the green on this Z28, I decided black wasn't for me after all :D