PDA

View Full Version : AMC is Back

DocDave
02-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Anyone else see the article in HotRod that AMC is to reopen. The article indicates a state of the art facility is being constructed in Kenosha right now. Is this for real?

The pacer was one of the concept cars said to be brought back!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontrightside.jpg/250px-1975_AMC_Pacer_base_model_frontrightside.jpg

Holeshot
02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I thought it was the Hornet with a 7 liter 6 speed Ultra Hemi LSR that got 38mpg

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Not all of it really closed anyway, about 30% os the old AMC plant is still used.
Anyway sounds like Onion news.

The next AMERICAN MOTOR'S you will see is when Ford and Gm merge. :D

Moparjim
02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
It says right in the article at the end that it is an April Fools joke... Anyone with ay sense would realize it by the point in the article that they are talking about a 9 speed trans behind a V12 lol.

And yes, our engine plant is still here, I work there. We made all the Jeep 4.0L until they cancelled it a few years ago, and currently make the 2.7L and 3.5L V6s.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
You know...I wouldn't really mind a 4wd eagle wagon with a modern fuel-injected 4.0. Be a pretty cool wagon.

wikked
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
You know...I wouldn't really mind a 4wd eagle wagon with a modern fuel-injected 4.0. Be a pretty cool wagon.

I think that was one of the fugliest cars ever made :(

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-13-2008, 03:12 PM

The auto shop teacher at Union Grove High School has a MINT LOADED Eagle woodie wagon. Loves it to death along with his 66 Avanti and old Model T, an old school auto geek the guy is meticulous and damn smart.
The AMC's first EFI Renix (Renault/Bendix) 4.0 wasn't horrible,not modern tho I guess. It was a real hodgepodge of Detroit leftovers.

Speaking of 4.0's and AMC I just had a good friend pass away who did 30 years in maintenance at the motor's.
I was helping some of his family go through all the stuff my friend had accrued over the years, tools and everything else folks like us save and use and found a brand new 4.0 EFI throttle body still with the plastic wrap on one side from the manufacturer, Weber ;)
My friend had so much stuff from AMC it wasn't even funny, same as my 2 grandpa's who worked there. Unbelievable how much these guys stole from work.
Maybe I will put the new TB on my Heep and see if it runs any better. :headbang
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/windsors03cobra/DSCN0663.jpg?t=1202936783

Sorry for the thread jack :punch: and I did not see the HR article, I will have to check it out.

DocDave
02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Anyone with ay sense would realize it by the point in the article that they are talking about a 9 speed trans behind a V12 lol..

That and the fact that the cover says ..coming April 1st. LOL. I wonder how much HotRod paid someone to do those renderings. LOL.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I think that was one of the fugliest cars ever made :(And I had a problem against fugly cars since when? :goof

lordairgtar
02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I was paging through my issue of HotRod and saw those illustrations. Wow, not bad as far as retro AMC designs. A little tweaking of the new Challenger would make a cool Javelin, like on the first page of the article. Apropos, as the Chrysler company bought AMC anyway.

wikked
02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
And I had a problem against fugly cars since when? :goof

:rolf I sit corrected.