PDA

View Full Version : wireless network help

rally_scort
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Im thinking about going wireless for my home computer.Ive got two computers and my xbox running to my linksys wireless router right now, and i hate having an ethernet cable running all over the place.What should i look for as far as a wireless card, and also how do i know which ones are compatible with my router? Id also like to know if i can use a basic wireless card with my xbox.I cant see spending $100 for the microsoft version, but im clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Deggy
02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Wikked where ya at?

michelle
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Why do you want to make your X-box wireless? I've heard bad things about connection issues if you go wireless and play online. Keep that directly connected but you can go wireless on the rest.

Karps TA
02-12-2008, 08:35 PM
You don't need an actual wireless card for your computer. The USB plug in ones work great and in my experience are pretty much plug and play. Not sure if you can use a USB on the Xbox. I got my wireless 360 adapter from Gamestop used for $55

rally_scort
02-12-2008, 08:40 PM
You don't need an actual wireless card for your computer. The USB plug in ones work great and in my experience are pretty much plug and play. Not sure if you can use a USB on the Xbox. I got my wireless 360 adapter from Gamestop used for $55

yeah ive been staying on top of finding a used one, but they dont come around very often.So do i need a specific usb plug in one? I thought they might be brand specific, so id need one for a linksys router?

Karps TA
02-12-2008, 08:42 PM
They should all interchange. I use a Linksys USB with my 2WIRE DSL modem from ATT. It found it pretty easily and I'm not the most tech savy.

theavenger333
02-12-2008, 09:24 PM
don't go wireless for Xbox clint, your connection will flutter terribly. as for wireless cards, i have one you can have, or trade for your H3.....

Poncho
02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Linksys WRT54GS router flashed with DD-WRT and a Linksys WMP54GS PCI adapter FTW.

rally_scort
02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
don't go wireless for Xbox clint, your connection will flutter terribly. as for wireless cards, i have one you can have, or trade for your H3.....

yeah it was just a thought for the xbox.The cord for that isnt a big deal.I found a handful of usb type on craigslist for around $20 or so.Ill give that a go.

05caddyext
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
I just went wireless in my home, except for my ps3. I have a linksys router that plugs into the cable modem. I have a laptop running on its wireless connection, and I purchased a Netgear wirelessN usb adapter for my desktop. It took awhile to get it all working correctly, but it works great now. Just make sure if you choose the wireless route that you set up a security key for it so your neighbors don't steal your bandwidth. Setting up the security takes awhile unless you really know what you are doing. I still haven't figured out how to make mine WPA secure, for now I just have it in WEP.

wikked
02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Like they said, all makes of wireless cards/wireless usb sticks work with all routers.

Of course the box will say "use our cards with our routers for best perfomance!" - They all have to use the same communication standards, so there's no real proof in that.

One Xample (haha) of how to use a non-Micro$oft wireless card in your Xbawx.
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/223/62/
(I'd go ethernet cable :P)

05caddy
Here's how to set up WPA:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx