PDA

View Full Version : PLOWing :)

pOrk
02-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Been looking for a used plow but the prices are pretty high, might be better off going with a new one. Anybody here plow on a regular basis? I have run my uncles truck but its time for my own. Decent used plows are about 3 grand and new they go for 5. Looking for the best place to buy new, and also if you know anyone with a used plow let me know. It will be going on an 03 Sierra 1500HD

88Nightmare
02-12-2008, 11:40 AM
pork, I think your sierra is a 2500HD

but anyway, westerns arent bad, blizzard plows are nice too, but heavy.

pOrk
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Its a 1500HD. I want to go with either Western, Boss, or Hiniker.

88Nightmare
02-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Hiniker aint bad either. The truck I use has a 10ft Hiniker, works great. Pushes some massive piles of snow.

But man I thought your truck was a 2500.... But either way..

wikked
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I've seen beater trucks w/plows for like $1,500... you gotta be able to find just the plow for much cheaper than $3k.
like so:http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/car/571652191.html
Probably not going to find shìt right now though, for obvious reasons.

When I plowed, my boss had a Sno-Way Predator, it was made of Lexan, that thing kicked all forms of ass since it was so light, and you had all the trucks power actually pushing snow, not trying to push a heavy ass steel blade + snow.

Although, v-blade > * :D

UnderPSI
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I would take a Boss over western I have used both and Boss>Western

Being a 1500 I wouldn't put bigger than a 8' on your truck. Starts to get too heavy in the front end.

I am going to be putting the Boss XT 8'2" V plow on my truck next year. V plows are well worth the extra money if you can swing it. You will more than make up for the additional cost with how much more quickly you will get lots done.

88Nightmare
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
hey brad, there is a guy on the diesel forum im on that has the same username as you, and I think even the same truck as you, just lives in north carolina :rolf

Cryptic
02-12-2008, 12:29 PM
hey pork.. my uncle has a whole 89' Chevy 2500 with a 8.5 Western w/ brand new edge -- $2500

+ 350 4 speed
+ reg cab, longbox, + cap (hatch slides up on top)
+ 110k miles
+ power locks and windows
+ new battery
+ almost new tires
+ new tank
+ new wheel cyl/brakes
+ new shocks , ect
+ newer radiator
+ $100 new pitman arm
-- Tranny inspection cases leak from rust. Tranny is the heavy duty cast iron one, not aluminum. The inspection covers are thin metal. They rusted through and can't get them off because the bolts are rusted away.
-- ac = not working

You could rob the plow and sell the truck... I'd say thats a cheap plow option.

Slow Joe
02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
V Plow FTW! When I was plowing at EVS I had one... It worked way better than the straight plows... Better meaning easier to control the snow...

Cryptic
02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
blah... a plow is better than no plow

Slow Joe
02-12-2008, 12:49 PM
blah... a plow is better than no plow

True that! :thumbsup

GTSLOW
02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
hey pork.. my uncle has a whole 89' Chevy 2500 with a 8.5 Western w/ brand new edge -- $2500

- 350 4 speed
- reg cab, longbox, + cap (hatch slides up on top)
- 110k miles
- power locks and windows
- new battery
- almost new tires
- new tank
- new wheel cyl/brakes
- new shocks , ect
-- tranny inspection cases leak from rust
-- ac = not working

You could rob the plow and sell the truck... I'd say thats a cheap plow option.

Sounds nice! There ya go Eric then you dont need to put a plow on the 1500 :)

pOrk
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
V-Plows are heavier and theres more stuff to break.

That dodge truck is gonna be a piece of shit for a grand, and the only used plow that was decent under 3 grand was 2500 and needed the wiring, unimount, and a new edge.

Cryptic, can I get his contact info?

pOrk
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
And its a 1500 HD, it has 3/4 ton suspension so it would have no problem with a 10 foot blade. I only want an 8 footer, cant do driveways with anything bigger. I really like the scoop that Hinicker sells.

Cryptic
02-12-2008, 01:46 PM
'89 Chevy 2500 w/ 8.5' Western PLow w/ brand new edge -- $2500
+ 350 4 speed
+ reg cab, longbox, + cap (hatch slides up on top)
+ 110k miles
+ power locks and windows
+ new battery
+ almost new tires
+ new tank
+ new wheel cyl/brakes
+ new shocks , ect
+ newer radiator
+ $100 new pitman arm
-- Tranny inspection cases leak from rust. Tranny is the heavy duty cast iron one, not aluminum. The inspection covers are thin metal. They rusted through and can't get them off because the bolts are rusted away.
-- ac = not working

SLOWC5
02-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I have a 8'6" Western Pro Plow for sale. Its older, probably a 90-91' came off our plow truck that is getting scraped out. It works perfectly fine. kyle (A B4C Z) can a test for that.

truck was a 1990 3500 chevy

$500.00 obo

Jsho13
02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Hiniker are nice plows. Can probably find one cheaper than a Western or Boss. I have plowed with all three, and they all get the job done. We have a western on our truck up north which is very nice.

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
'89 Chevy 2500 with a 8.5 Western w/ brand new edge -- $2500

Those are actually PTO port block off plates, minor detail about the awesome and bulletproof SM465 trans.
Wish I had $2500 I could part with for that old Chev. Looks like a nice price for a decent truck.
I decided earlier my next vehicle is going to be a plow vehicle, I have alot of family that could use the service.

DirtyMax
02-12-2008, 03:16 PM
You know as soon as you dump this wad o' cash on a plow, winter's gonna end right?!? Murphy's Law....

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-12-2008, 03:28 PM
You know as soon as you dump this wad o' cash on a plow, winter's gonna end right?!? Murphy's Law....

LoL, you aren't kidding. :shades
And with the plow truck budget I am dealing with it's going to be a natural fact that something will break every time I use the darn thing. :punch:

DirtyMax
02-12-2008, 03:31 PM
it's going to be a natural fact that something will break every time I use the darn thing. :punch:

The exact reason I got out of it can be summed up by this math equation...

Parts Broken + Time Wasted fixing said Broken Parts > Financial Rewards

Cryptic
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
A plow is not a bulldozer. That's what a loader is for.
I've busted a lift chain once because previous owner put a chinsey one on.

Slow Joe
02-12-2008, 05:14 PM
:rolf I was hard on the plows at EVS... Then again their lot had much to desire...

I broke... Springs, pulled an eye hook out of the plow, etc, etc...

Lash
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Why not buy a new sno-way? They aren't that expensive.....and if you are looking to get one for next year the off season is the best time to get one.

Breecher_7
02-12-2008, 06:20 PM
hey brad, there is a guy on the diesel forum im on that has the same username as you, and I think even the same truck as you, just lives in north carolina :rolf

WTF are you doing on a diesel forum? Been running the wrong fuel in your truck? :thumbsup

Ive seen the other "underpsi" as well mike.

Yellow2k1vette
02-12-2008, 07:25 PM
You know as soon as you dump this wad o' cash on a plow, winter's gonna end right?!? Murphy's Law....Here's hoping he buys one very soon. :thumbsup

A B4C Z
02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
+1 for the v-plows I run a boss at work its great HUGE time saver. Also the western 8footer works well to.
And yes pork the one that jeff has works great. You might just need a new bracket for it to mount to the frame that would be it i think.

Kyle

UnderPSI
02-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Ive seen the other "underpsi" as well mike.

Posers! I have had the same screen name since I was 17.

Russ Jerome
02-12-2008, 10:04 PM
And its a 1500 HD, it has 3/4 ton suspension so it would have no problem with a 10 foot blade. I only want an 8 footer,.

I've installed both Western and Snow way plows for a few years.
There is no way in hell you are hanging a 10' blade of any type of
1500 IFS chevy, not even on older used 2500 torsion bar GM truck
will last long with a 10' blade.

I've mounted 8' and V plows on 2500HD Chev's, requires the torsion
bars to be cranked up 2.75 turns and the front end will still dig holes
in the McDonalds driveway aproach.

For a 1500IFS Chev stick with a 7.5 strait blade, a newer unimount will
have very little unsprung weight on the front end during the summer
while the plow is off. Boss is the same plow but a little heavier
duty (made side by side like CHEV and GMC). Snow ways are lighter
duty and fine in your not out contracting. Just my 2 cents, anybody
want to debate plow systems Im well equiped to argue :)

pOrk
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
So all the people online and all the local guys that run 9-10 ft blades on their trucks don't exist? Both Plow places I called said my truck could handle any blade they sold.

I don't want any bigger then 8.6 anyways so it doesn't matter. Snow way isn't going to cut it, I wish it could because down pressure would be awesome to have but I am hopefully going to score two lots in new berlin that will require something a bit more heavy duty.

Did you guys miss the part about me saying 1500 HD, that means 2500 suspension in case you were unaware.

eyeball
02-12-2008, 10:14 PM
For your truck, I'd get a 7'6" Pro Plus Western straight blade. They are made locally and easier to get parts for than the Boss or the Hiniker. I've installed dozens of the Western and repaired many Boss, Hiniker, Fischer, and Curtis. Russ is right, the front suspension on the newer 1/2 ton GMs can't hack the weight of a V-plow and an 8' straight is really pushing it.

pOrk
02-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not too interested in a V either. Does western make Boss or Boss make Western? I thought I heard that the other day. Western is on the north side of Milwaukee correct?

The Hiniker dealer guarantees he will have any part in stock and will get it to my location if I do break down within 2 hours. If he doesn't, the part is free. Not a bad deal, he also sells Western and Boss and has the same guarantee.

My truck has 3/4 ton suspension for the 3rd time.

Cryptic
02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
My 98 2500 has a 7.5' blade. It does the job just fine. When snow mounds get really large you aint pushing that much more snow with a larger blade. The hill will stop you. Your truck looks a little too nice to be a beater truck for bashing into hills with. Thats how sh!t breaks anyhow.

I already have to load the bed of the pickup with firewood for counterweight. a bigger blade is just more to lug around. Sometimes you have to squeeze between things too... bigger isnt always better.

eyeball
02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I saw the HD the first time. I just checked and Western's quick match shows you can put a V plow on your truck. If you do though, the torsions will need to be cranked way up and the ***** will still sag a bit though. All the Gms just sit real low, regardless of rating. Throw a v plow on the truck and you'll see. I had a few unhappy customers with a 1500s and Vplows. I really can't remember if they were HDs or not.

Boss and Western and totally different. Western bought Fischer a few years back I think. Western is off of 76 and mill rd. Sno way is in Hartford.

The place I used to work for had everything for Western plows in stock, and if we didn't, we'd rob a new plow to get a customer on the road. That's cool if the Hiniker guy is willing to stand behind his parts, but I'd still rather keep a local company in business. Western Pro Plus plows kick ass.

pOrk
02-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Do people read my posts before replying? I feel like I am repeating my self

"

The Hiniker dealer guarantees he will have any part in stock and will get it to my location if I do break down within 2 hours. If he doesn't, the part is free. Not a bad deal, he also sells Western and Boss and has the same guarantee.
"

pOrk
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
I guess that wasn't clear, he will get the parts to you for Western and Boss plows as well if there is a problem.

Russ Jerome
02-12-2008, 10:53 PM
My truck has 3/4 ton suspension for the 3rd time.

I gotta get some sleep (been plowing!) but you are correct in
that there are some minor differences between the 1500 and
the 1500 HD. Hell the 3500/1ton and your 1500/1/2ton use the
exact same ball joints if you want to get technical. Hell Eyeball
and I have put 7.5' plows on Ranger pickups for the city, they
never made a mount for them but made them fit. Take it from
eyeball and myself, get the 7.5' you'll be happy.

If I owned a solid axle, leaf sprung 1-ton I would still run a 7.5
if only so I can tear thru traffic and angle sidewalks. Less wear
and tear, light enough to keep on during snowless weeks and
big enough to do my local bar parking lots.
http://hometown.aol.com/russjerome/images/jan08plow.jpg
^7.5' and push's enough snow to make 6' piles, does sidewalks
and large lots.

eyeball
02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
you said:

Its a 1500HD. I want to go with either Western, Boss, or Hiniker.

and I said:

...but I'd still rather keep a local company in business. Western Pro Plus plows kick ass.

as in buy a Western Plow over the Hiniker or Boss.

pOrk
02-12-2008, 10:59 PM
If it ain't snowing the plow wont be on :) Thanks for the advice guys

pOrk
02-12-2008, 11:00 PM
you said:

and I said:

as in buy a Western Plow over the Hiniker or Boss.

So buy a Western because its local? Thats not how I spend money, I like to buy the best quality for the best price. I do like Western, but I like Hiniker too and the customer service is awesome. Big surprise that the price is better too.

eyeball
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
so you missed the part where I said that Western Pro plows kick ass? You know what, **** it, buy the cheapest plow you can find.

pOrk
02-12-2008, 11:22 PM
So now they are cheap? Haha, move along.

UnderPSI
02-13-2008, 01:45 AM
Just got done plowing for the night. I looked into just about every plow co. on the market right now. Boss seemed to come out ahead. Checked the forums, talked with people that have them and I can't wait to get one now.

Pork, I may have jobs lined up for you next year if you get one. I do a lot of commercial lots and could use some help. We have some real dummies working for us now.

Breecher_7
02-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Just got done plowing for the night. I looked into just about every plow co. on the market right now. Boss seemed to come out ahead. Checked the forums, talked with people that have them and I can't wait to get one now.

Pork, I may have jobs lined up for you next year if you get one. I do a lot of commercial lots and could use some help. We have some real dummies working for us now.

What other kind of help you need, Im always bored and looking for side jobs...

And no, that is not a chance for the perverts to come out and ruin this thread...

eyeball
02-13-2008, 10:37 AM
I found the perfect plow for you:
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_dec2005/VancouverSnowPlow.jpg

:rolf

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
LoL.

www.plowsite.com for the last word in snowplowing :goof

Nobody uses fisher minute mounts anymore or were those junk ?

Monstr913
02-15-2008, 12:24 AM
go on letstalksnow.com always people selling plows and conversion mounts for all shorts of plows...also u can get a boss v-blade thats 9'6" and its made of high density plastic with steel frame...only problem u can't really stack snow with them or pack snow banks cuz u'll bend the lift ram and your screwed...i also wouldn't put more than a 9' on unless your gonna beef up the front end(shocks, torsion bars, etc) really sucks when you get a nice bumpy road and that couple hundred pounds starts to bounce...hiniker has a nice back scraping blade, plow snaps forward and has cutting edge on top for back scraping