PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel button help

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 08:28 PM
My 2006 Silverado has a driver information center. this DIC is controlled by two sets of buttons on my steering wheel. I need to replace one set of these buttons, but im not quite sure how to remove it from the steering wheel.

http://images.chevyhiperformance.com/featuredvehicles/0504_05z+2005_Chevrolet_Silverado_Gibbs_Performanc e+Interior_Steering_Wheel.jpg

Thats my exact steering wheel. The buttons I need to replace are on the lower left spoke of the steering wheel. Anyone know how to replace this?

STANMAN
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Under warrenty?:rolf

05caddyext
02-11-2008, 08:45 PM
That piece of the steering wheel that the button is in should just "pop" off there. They are usually held on with clips 1 on each corner, sometimes 2 in the center. Should be able to just pop it off and the switch will be accessible then. Rarely you would have to replace the clips, but if its never been off before, you shouldn't have to do anything.

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Under warrenty?:rolf

I said I needed help or tips on how to remove them, not smartass comments from someone who doesnt do jackshit on their own vehicles :thumbsup

PS. Whats a warrenty? Glad to see that free college education is paying off :D

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
That piece of the steering wheel that the button is in should just "pop" off there. They are usually held on with clips 1 on each corner, sometimes 2 in the center. Should be able to just pop it off and the switch will be accessible then. Rarely you would have to replace the clips, but if its never been off before, you shouldn't have to do anything.

that foam thing that houses the button does not come off, its part of the steering wheel. im thinking it either comes out of the front by prying, or I have to remove the airbag and then I can have access to it.

Z Speed
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I think bob has a crush on ya:goof

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 08:57 PM
i dont want to picture him starring at himself in the mirror pinching his nipple while applying lip gloss and thinkin about me at the same time :(

STANMAN
02-11-2008, 09:04 PM
i dont want to picture him starring at himself in the mirror pinching his nipple while applying lip gloss and thinkin about me at the same time :(

Spell check FTW. Hey, I was trying to help, the things an 06, why not just take it in and have GM fix it? I mean that's the reason I don't HAVE to do any work on either of my vehicles, they are both under warrAnty.

HP ADDICT
02-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Did you not just kinda do it while typing that?? I know I did.

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Spell check FTW. Hey, I was trying to help, the things an 06, why not just take it in and have GM fix it? I mean that's the reason I don't HAVE to do any work on either of my vehicles, they are both under warrAnty.

in 2006 GM's warranty on trucks was 3/36,000 miles. I now have 40,600 miles....... Warranty doesnt work anymore :thumbsup

STANMAN
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Oh, and you needed tips, my bad. Here's my tip to replace the faulty unit: Take truck to deserted dead end street (trees at end are nice touch), place brick on gas pedal throw it in drive, after truck has stopped by natural causes (tree), open door and remove brick. Go home, report truck stolen. Replace faulty unit with Quality is Job 1 Ford replacement. If buttons go wrong on replacement unit in less than 2 years, wash, rinse, repeat with Dodge Ram:rolf

STANMAN
02-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you not just kinda do it while typing that?? I know I did.

The real question is, did you like it:wow

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
ewwwwwwww. just thinkin about a ram gives me the shivers. an f150 too. at least my truck is still faster then yours, working buttons or not

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
hey bob

2008 Powerstroke power ratings: 350hp/650ft lbs of torque
2008 Dodge Cummins power ratings: 350hp/650ft lbs of torque
2008 Duramax power ratings: 365hp/660ft lbs of torque

the powerchoke makes its peak power at 2,000rpms while the cummins and duramax hit peak torque at 1,600rpms.

Chevy ftw

HP ADDICT
02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
The real question is, did you like it:wow

I dunno if I liked it or not. I wasn't like a good warm and tingly feeling that starts in my toes and make me crinkle my nose like that one song though.

lordairgtar
02-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Even though you are out of warranty, you might still get some help at the dealer. My HHR has DIC (God that sounds nasty) and I think the wheel on mine atleast has some kind of clip thing. Let me research that. Don't know how similar the attachments are between the HHR and your Silverado.

pickardracing
02-11-2008, 11:01 PM
hey bob

2008 Powerstroke power ratings: 350hp/650ft lbs of torque
2008 Dodge Cummins power ratings: 350hp/650ft lbs of torque
2008 Duramax power ratings: 365hp/660ft lbs of torque

the powerchoke makes its peak power at 2,000rpms while the cummins and duramax hit peak torque at 1,600rpms.

Chevy ftw

Splitting hairs. If anything you should be touting the fact that the cummins does it with 2 less cylinders.

As far as your buttons, they should pry out from the front IIRC.

lordairgtar
02-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Not sure about the Silverado but all Chevies might be similar. See if you see a small hole on each side of the steering wheel below the horn/airbag cover. I think I see one of the holes in the pic you provided, just below the horn cover. If you have those, you need to insert a small allen wrench in the hole to release the clips. Just push. Do this with the battery disconnected about ten minutes before you attempt. Remove carefully the cover. You will see a small phillips screw holding the cover for the DIC buttons. You then should be able to unscrew that piece and replace your buttons. Like I said, this may not be the same as yours, but that is the way my HHR horn cover comes off to access the screws for the DIC cover.

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 11:49 PM
when looking around on other GM forums, I basically have to just remove the air bag like you said, and all the access is right there.

Oh yes and pickard, 2 cylinders more or not, duramax still is the top power champ.

Semi trucks have 6 cylinders and can produce 2,000 ft lbs or more, you dont see anyone amazed by that do ya?

Breecher_7
02-12-2008, 05:36 AM
hmmmm.... Not good.

Looks like its time to make that upgrade to the Dmax.

Z Speed
02-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh, and you needed tips, my bad. Here's my tip to replace the faulty unit: Take truck to deserted dead end street (trees at end are nice touch), place brick on gas pedal throw it in drive, after truck has stopped by natural causes (tree), open door and remove brick. Go home, report truck stolen. Replace faulty unit with Quality is Job 1 Ford replacement. If buttons go wrong on replacement unit in less than 2 years, wash, rinse, repeat with Dodge Ram:rolf

i think if he tried them replacement units he would have more to worry about then just a button.