PDA

View Full Version : Intrepid starting problem

Mr Twigbert
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Hello all.. I have a bit of a problem and was wondering if someone else might have had the same problem..

As of late, I'll get into the car and turn the key.. Nothing will happe but the lights on the dashboard light up.. I'll turn the key back to the off position and turn it to start again.. Usually, the car starts right up..

However, last night I got out of work and tried to start the car.. I turned the key and as usual the dash lit up but the car did not turn over.. I tried several times but nothing.. The heater was turned on, all of the interior lights were brite and when turning the key the car didn't make the usual 'ticking' noise like when your battery is dead..

I went to get the work booster pack and returned.. I got in the car to try it once more and the car started.. However, there was a HIDIOUS grinding noise.. I shut the car off frearing something froze up.. I started it again and the noise was still there.. The noise ended up going away about 8 seconds later..

It was -8 when I got in the car mind you..

In the past if I leave the car out on VERY cold nights and I go to start it I will get the hidious grinding noise but only for a second or two.. Its rare but usually only when its super cold..

My problem is up to this point the car has never let me down.. Has anyone else had a problem similar?

My thought is the starter.. The battery seems fine.. Could the starter be going bad and thats why when I turn the key I get nothing?

Please let me know if you have an idea to fix it..

WickedSix
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
starter.... sounds like it is sticking..... it won't tick like dead battery ..... trying to remember right but think it is the brushes??

slickwilly
02-11-2008, 06:30 PM
H, I was thinking ignition until you mentioned the grinding. There may be two unrelated problems though. My mom's Grand Caravan (3.3 V6) makes a displeasingly loud whine when started in cold weather. I suspect it's a compressor/pump because it goes away shortly.

Mr Twigbert
02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
H, I was thinking ignition until you mentioned the grinding. There may be two unrelated problems though. My mom's Grand Caravan (3.3 V6) makes a displeasingly loud whine when started in cold weather. I suspect it's a compressor/pump because it goes away shortly.

I'm having a hard time describing the noise.. Its not grinding like metal on metal but more of a high pitch howling as you are mentioning.. And when I say its loud I mean its LOUD!

slow90z
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
It sounds like a starter to me, that loud howling could be the starter motor spining extremely fast because the solenoid is stuck and the gear is still engaged to the flexplate while the engine is now running. I think the solenoid is sticking /going bad which is why sometimes it wont engage or click at all. It'd toss a starter in it and see what happens.

Mr Twigbert
02-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Anyone willing to put on a starter for me?

70 cutlass 442
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
if you need it done soon give me a call. im thinking starter as well.

Moparjim
02-13-2008, 06:48 AM
Could be the starter, but it is hard to say without hearing it. A lot of cars the power steering pump, ac compressor, or other accessories make a shitload of noise when they are very cold for a few seconds until they warm up a bit. Since your first description about the key/starting issue sure sounded like an ignition switch until you got to the noise, it could be you just have that going on, plus an unrelated issue with the ignition switch. Without hearing it, it's impossible to say.

mike.williams
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
my wifes 2000 intrepid makes a very loud noise when starting in the cold too. so far i have not got it exactly nailed but when i listened under the hood while she started it i pretty sure it was the power steering pump.