PDA

View Full Version : transmission flush

michelle
02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I need the transmission flushed on my '01 Taurus. I don't have access to a heated garage at the moment that's open.

I can provide nice, step-by-step instructions to help with the process, but it would be nice if someone had prior experience doing it (not necessarily on a Taurus though).

I can pay cash and even buy the fluid and filter ahead of time. Ideally, it would be nice to get it done this weekend or the following weekend since I will be in the Milwaukee area (around Hubertus and Elm Grove). I can drop it off and pick it up later, if that helps too.

I also need the vent replaced (have the part) per a TSB that was released. I have directions for that too.

Please PM me or let me know who the best person is to contact to do it.

I can bake you cookies too, but Adam would have to buy you beer. (:

Thanks!

HY35F2T
02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
how many miles are on the car and have you had it done b4?

BAD LS1
02-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Ewald's Hartford Ford Lincoln Mercury 888-252-4297 Hartford, WI

michelle
02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
110k is on the car now. It was last done at 75k (don't worry, it was done a couple times before that as well).

Z28Roxy
02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
This is one of those rare things that it's probably best to take it to a shop to do. If you shop around, you can get it done for like $70. Just make sure you see them actually do it (not ala Jiffy Lube) :rolf

If you want to do it yourself I've heard you can put one the inlet hose in a bucket of transmission fluid and the outlet (???) hose into an empty bucket. :rolf

BAD LS1
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
This is one of those rare things that it's probably best to take it to a shop to do. If you shop around, you can get it done for like $70. Just make sure you see them actually do it (not ala Jiffy Lube) :rolf

If you want to do it yourself I've heard you can put one the inlet hose in a bucket of transmission fluid and the outlet (???) hose into an empty bucket. :rolf

QFT however ive heard of women tackling this job them selves though...

michelle
02-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah I know how to do it myself (done it on other cars), just don't have a place to do it at the moment and I rather not keep waiting until I do. Taurus' are known for not having the best transmissions and I rather keep mine healthy. (:

BAD LS1
02-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Trans flushes wont fix design flaws, its death is inevetable.

Z28Roxy
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah I know how to do it myself (done it on other cars), just don't have a place to do it at the moment and I rather not keep waiting until I do. Taurus' are known for not having the best transmissions and I rather keep mine healthy. (:

I just swapped mine. The T-56 is a lot stronger than the 4L60E. :goof

Case in point: my T-56 was in a heads/cam LT1 that was doing 200 hole shots of nitrous (probably 700ft-lbs of torque) and its fine *knock on wood*. My 4L60E was sold to a guy who sure enough broke it about 6 weeks later on a cam only car. :rolf

Anyway sorry for the thread derail. Like I said this is probably best done at a shop. I think if you shop around and get it done for $70-$80 that's probably only about $20-$30 more than doing it yourself or having a buddy do it (12 or so quarts of transmission fluid plus a filter & gasket kit costs a good bit). Just way less hassle than the $20 is worth, and coming from me that says a lot (I am very cheap).

michelle
02-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Trans flushes wont fix design flaws, its death is inevetable.

Yes, but I would like to prolong the death as long as possible. That's the key.

BAD LS1
02-11-2008, 03:27 PM
heh could have got trans out of the vulcan i almost had to put into a bridge abuckment this morning... ****er just had to beat me through a yield... so i just HAD to merge first... the look of the vulcan drivers face in the icy shoulder @ 60 was priceless.

slickwilly
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
mmmm road rage is tasty. :D

GRAMPS SS
02-11-2008, 06:57 PM
had mine in the TAURUS flushed.....drove to Indy....boooooooom went the tranny.....1500.00 later...good as new....now looking for a newer EXPLODER to make my life more of a hell.......

TAURUS HAD 150K ON IT WHEN IT WENT BOOOOOOM

HY35F2T
02-11-2008, 07:08 PM
110k is on the car now. It was last done at 75k (don't worry, it was done a couple times before that as well).

lol so you know what i mean then.Its pretty funny when ppl never had that done and when they do get it done.Wonder why there trans slips lol.

Poncho
02-11-2008, 07:25 PM
westside auto
hartford
t-tech flush. They are running a sale.

let em know "danny boy" sent ya.

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
trans in our 93 sable took a shit at about 90k miles :(

Mr Twigbert
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I've got 128k on my Intrepid and never had my tranny flushed and refilled.. It seems to drive fine..

Do newer cars really need it done like older cars?

I checked my fluid last summer and it seemed ok.. It didn't look new or smell really sweet but it wasn't black and burnt smelling either..

Slow Joe
02-12-2008, 08:18 AM
trans in our 93 sable took a shit at about 90k miles :(

My '86 Sable's transmission went 220k, and my dad's 88 Sable went 150k, then we sold it and who knows what happened after that...

Michelle, I was unaware that the newer (00+) Taurus transmissions had problems like the old ones, supposedly they had fixed that from all that I heard... Plus I've seen alot more high mileage ones recently...

Edit: However, since buying a Saab, I am getting use to the transmission flushes with Mineral Oil :durr Gotta love Saabs... One flush down... Tons more in the future :rolf