PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you change your Furnace Filters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awsomeears
02-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Honestly think about it :stare

Its such a shame that the general public is so ******* stupid, everyone worries about how there grass looks or how many leaves are on there lawn. But as far as a furnace that keeps you warm when its -10 out who needs that right :rolf

I just billed a customer $780 because of what her 99% plugged filters did, and it wasn't even the main filters. It was those 1/4" pre screen aluminum ones that have holes in them the size of a bic pen !!!!!!!!!!!

They never cleaned there Electronic Air Cleaner since they moved in, back in 03' :stare

Granted my work is making $$$$ but its such a god dam shame.

So I'm making this post :thumbsup after you read it walk your ass down stairs and check it you might be Shocked :eek:

I'm only giving you a heads up once :durr

- Brad -

97z2801ss
02-10-2008, 11:25 PM
my pops changes ours every 6 months or something

DynoTom
02-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Honestly think about it :stare

Its such a shame that the general public is so ******* stupid, everyone worries about how there grass looks or how many leaves are on there lawn. But as far as a furnace that keeps you warm when its -10 out who needs that right :rolf

I just billed a customer $780 because of what her 99% plugged filters did, and it wasn't even the main filters. It was those 1/4" pre screen aluminum ones that have holes in them the size of a bic pen !!!!!!!!!!!

They never cleaned there Electronic Air Cleaner since they moved in, back in 03' :stare

Granted my work is making $$$$ but its such a god dam shame.

So I'm making this post :thumbsup after you read it walk your ass down stairs and check it you might be Shocked :eek:

I'm only giving you a heads up once :durr

- Brad -

Are those higher priced filters worth the extra money over the cheap ones?

They have a huge price range and I want to know what ones I should be using....Thanks....

awsomeears
02-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Are those higher priced filters worth the extra money over the cheap ones?

They have a huge price range and I want to know what ones I should be using....Thanks....

If you are using the 1" filters I would recommend buying the cheapest accordian style filter, but change it every 2 to 3 months.

The high priced ones brand new are way the hell to restrictive, just about every home out there has poor air flow and dampers, couches, book cases blocking supply and returns.

I recommend : http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272245&cp=&fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CHeating+%26+Cooling&f=Brand%2F1005570%2F&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F2568453&fbc=1&s=A-StorePrice-ACE&kw=filters&parentPage=search&searchId=23123888443

The basic Ace filter I have listed here is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DynoTom
02-10-2008, 11:57 PM
I will pick some of those filters up from ACE...The 12 pack will last me a LONG time....I just changed the filter on my furnace a couple minutes ago.....it was dusty looking at the bottom edge.....

Al
02-11-2008, 12:29 AM
two days ago. I was a bit concerned about the padauk I was cutting on the tablesaw. Sure enough, the filter was dark red. I have a central dust collector, but it is not connected to the tablesaw.

pickardracing
02-11-2008, 01:23 AM
i got some blue cut-to-fit reusable dingus. wash it off every spring/fall, wroks fine imo.

awsomeears
02-11-2008, 02:08 AM
i got some blue cut-to-fit reusable dingus. wash it off every spring/fall, wroks fine imo.

Those are JUNK !!!!!!!!!!

Upgrade to what I have mentioned :thumbsup

Neal Steffek
02-11-2008, 02:34 AM
To the top for great advice.

OxmanWI
02-11-2008, 04:47 AM
last week

BlackViper
02-11-2008, 06:33 AM
im going right now..

Yooformula
02-11-2008, 10:31 AM
I change mine monthly.

tommyt5078
02-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Nov of 07'

LIL EVO
02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I have that huge accordian looking filter that you have to assemble. Ugh. Almost time to replace my 80s era furnace.

88Nightmare
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
ours is changed every 3 months with those 3M filters

UnderPSI
02-11-2008, 11:46 AM
I have that huge accordian looking filter that you have to assemble. Ugh. Almost time to replace my 80s era furnace.

Same style filter I have, with the comb you have to slide inbetween the pleats. I have heard it is one of the best filter setups you can get.

Deggy
02-11-2008, 12:17 PM
i just changed ours.

Rocket Power
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I have radiant heat (pipes in the walls and bathroom floor) with a Bunderus(sp?) boiler that is about 6-7 years old. What kind of maintainence should I be doing?

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Radiator's here, someone told me I should put some boiler conditioner in there ?

Josepy
02-11-2008, 04:42 PM
i change ours but not enough. picking some up tonight.

Cryptic
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
never... radiant heat :)

nismodave
02-11-2008, 04:43 PM
I cant find the filter on my heating system!! Where is it?

DirtyMax
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I do ours Nov 1st, Jan 1st and Mar 1st. We have a lab reteriver and hardwood floors in the whole house so alot of the dog hair ends up making its way into the cold air return. But I just went and checked it for shits and it's pretty "hairy" this time for only having been in there ~6 weeks...

DirtyMax
02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I cant find the filter on my heating system!! Where is it?

Check by where your cold air return dumps back into the furnace. Might have to remove a cover (that's what I have to do on mine) or I've seen them slide right out from a slot in the ducting.

nismodave
02-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I have electric heat though.:confused

Lash
02-11-2008, 05:41 PM
You're supposed to change the filter on your furnace?

Huh....learn something new every day.

:goof

Brian98GTP
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
You're supposed to change the filter on your furnace?

Huh....learn something new every day.

:goof

Bahhh... just leave it out. Saves you the trouble of changing it every couple months. It'll also give your furnace an extra 2-3 hp. :thumbsup

GRAMPS SS
02-11-2008, 06:50 PM
we have the fiber filter that you take out and vacuum and then reinstal....we check it every month.............

modmachz
02-11-2008, 08:13 PM
what about the thicker 4" filters do they need changing as often !! I have a newer house and no pets, the guy that installed my system says to watch it and change it every 2 years??

Mr Twigbert
02-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Because of this thread I walked my happy ass downstairs and replaced my filter..

Guess what.. It was filthy and I had three brand new one sitting right there..

Thanks for the reminder..

awsomeears
02-12-2008, 07:26 PM
we have the fiber filter that you take out and vacuum and then reinstal....we check it every month.............

Is it blue in color and look like horse hair ? If so those are OK but over the years that lets way to much dust in the air. Most people think " ahh no big deal dust is dust " but what actually happens is that your A/C coil can get plugged !!!!!!!

Same thing goes for the spunge looking ones.

Everyone forgets about that :eek: if you notice your A/C from year to year takes longer to cool the house down it could be because your A-coil is getting plugged. Or a miss diagnostic on some Joe Shmoe adding Refrigerant to compensate the plugged A-coil :wooo

So what I'm saying is if the filters you have are what I'm talking about I would get the ones from ace, change them ONCE every 3-months and call it a day :thumbsup

what about the thicker 4" filters do they need changing as often !! I have a newer house and no pets, the guy that installed my system says to watch it and change it every 2 years??

2 years hell no !!!!!!!

Change it once per year, for the amount of money you would save by only changing it every two years your furnace and A/C will work harder for that 1 year. So 365 days ( lets say 300 ) your furnace or a/c is working harder just because you wanted to save $30 on a filter.

With that extra stress you will loose efficiency and comfort so change it once per year.

Head to Farm and Fleet and get the 4" filters by Air Demon :thumbsup I have seen these out at customers homes and I was shocked how well they were built. And they carry a MERV 11 witch is good :thumbsup

Because of this thread I walked my happy ass downstairs and replaced my filter..

Guess what.. It was filthy and I had three brand new one sitting right there..

Thanks for the reminder..

Thats exactly why I posted this, glad to lend you a hand :thumbsup