PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a sled fixed?

Nix
02-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Where would you recommened? Its a 1985 Polaris 600 triple. I think I may have fried something or ??? I was riding it on the trails out here and then all of a sudden it had a lack of power cut more than in half of what it does normally and I could smell fuel. I limped it back home, it wasnt easy seeing as it was having troubles making it through the deeper snow. Nothing was smoking and I couldn't smell anything burning either.

Im new to the whole sled scene but Im starting to get ideas about hwo these things work and such but I dont know enough to tell wheather its junked or not. I have my doubts about that seeing as I smell fuel but I can't find a leak anywhere?

Any suggestions? Anyone want to but it for parts? I guess I may just end up dumping it off seeing as if it is fried its not worth me paying to have it fixed.:(

juicedimpss
02-08-2008, 07:10 PM
check compression on all 3 cyls.
those old things had an iron bore and can be fixed fairly cheaply if you hurt a piston.

Cryptic
02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
check compression... I blew a cylinder on my 650 triple once.

Its simple.. pull 1 plug at a time, put your thumb over it and pull the starter cord, repeat for each cylinder

If you dont feel a puff of air... you blew a ring, Join the club :)

I rebuilt my motor. Its not that hard. Good excuse to get a port job since your pulling it all apart anyway.

Nix
02-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok now Iam a complete moron. I read what you fellas had mentioned and I looked at the plugs and all three look like burned hotdogs. This thing is running really rich, the plugs are BLACK!!! If you are looking at the motor from behind the handlebars the far left cylinder plug when I removed it let a little puff of smoke out and it smelled like raw fuel. So I put new plugs in and it actually runs the way it use to for now. :shades

juicedimpss
02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Ok now Iam a complete moron. I read what you fellas had mentioned and I looked at the plugs and all three look like burned hotdogs. This thing is running really rich, the plugs are BLACK!!! If you are looking at the motor from behind the handlebars the far left cylinder plug when I removed it let a little puff of smoke out and it smelled like raw fuel. So I put new plugs in and it actually runs the way it use to for now. :shades

if you want to trailer it to oak creek i can look at it quick.

Nix
02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
if you want to trailer it to oak creek i can look at it quick.

That would be awesome, but unfortunatley I don't have a trailor to haul it with. To get it here I had to borrow my father in laws truck and throw it in the back. If you didn't live so far I would tell ya to stop by but alas I live in JEfferson County in Ixonia. I really do appreciate the offer man. That is above and beyond.

juicedimpss
02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
have you tried throwing a fresh set of plugs in it?

Nix
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
have you tried throwing a fresh set of plugs in it?

Yup, before when I limped it home I could smell fuel and I thought it maybe had a fuel leak somewhere but I couldn't find one. Then I started it up again and it barley ran, there is a hole in the exhaust and it was blowing right toward my face and it smelled like raw fuel. I pulled the plugs and noticed the one cylinder also smelled a strong raw fuel. I replaced all three plugs and now it runs 100% better than it did but it still seems there is something wrong with it. Maybe the carbs are outta tune? The plugs that were in there looked really fuggin burned/black.

I just took it around the yard and it moves along much better but there is still something wrong with it I believe. Maybe I should just sell it while it still runs and make a few bucks off of it while I can and call it a winter and save for a newer one for next season. It does have almost 7K miles on it and it has never had a rebuild as far as I know!!!!!

juicedimpss
02-08-2008, 08:54 PM
if the pipe has a hole in it in or before the "tuned" section that will cause it to run poorly.if its just a hole in the muffler it wont matter much.

JC70SS
02-08-2008, 08:58 PM
A hole in the exhaust?? Not good. My compression 2 weekends ago was 130,130,20 LOL!!

I am really starting to hate these damn things. :mad:

juicedimpss
02-08-2008, 09:28 PM
A hole in the exhaust?? Not good. My compression 2 weekends ago was 130,130,20 LOL!!

I am really starting to hate these damn things. :mad:

lol i just hurt the ultra last weekend too... 185,155,185
i hope i caught it before it ruined the nicisil

Cryptic
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
w00t for triples :thumbsup

JC70SS
02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
my cylinder should be back from milenium Monday.

Flight_740
02-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Those older polaris triples can be a headache.

70challenger452
02-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Those older polaris triples can be a headache.

yes they can, had one break on me while I was riding thursday

stenchmiester
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
the older indy triples were pron to blowing a cylinder i have a 650 sitting in my front yard with a blown pto cylinder

70challenger
02-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Yup, before when I limped it home I could smell fuel and I thought it maybe had a fuel leak somewhere but I couldn't find one. Then I started it up again and it barley ran, there is a hole in the exhaust and it was blowing right toward my face and it smelled like raw fuel. I pulled the plugs and noticed the one cylinder also smelled a strong raw fuel. I replaced all three plugs and now it runs 100% better than it did but it still seems there is something wrong with it. Maybe the carbs are outta tune? The plugs that were in there looked really fuggin burned/black.

I just took it around the yard and it moves along much better but there is still something wrong with it I believe. Maybe I should just sell it while it still runs and make a few bucks off of it while I can and call it a winter and save for a newer one for next season. It does have almost 7K miles on it and it has never had a rebuild as far as I know!!!!!

also check to make sure the vent line is conected to the airbox on that cylinder and that you can blow through the line. also maybe try pulling the carb apart to make sure everything is ok and make sure the needle and seat is free. start there and report back