PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Yamaha Exciter, your thoughts

u_say_go
02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
anyone here have any experience, bad or good, with Yamaha Exciters? Going to check one out tomorrow, from the pics and the guys discription of the sled it seems really nice and a hell of a deal.
1987 Exciter 570 liquid cooled. 4000 miles

anything I should know about these things?

stenchmiester
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
dont studd it the one cooler on it in the front of the track will get cut right open plus phazer and exciter tracks were very weak makes it worse with studs

juicedimpss
02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
there is a gear pressed on the crankshaft that drives the oil pump,they are known to loosen up over time and slip on the crank......end result an oil pump that doesnt turn.
BOOM!

70 cutlass 442
02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
buy a polaris.

u_say_go
02-07-2008, 09:51 PM
buy a polaris.

I was waiting for that Jon.:rolf I was just fed up with constantly wrenching on my Indy so I threw it out there to a friend of mine and offered it up for sale, and he said "i'll take it". I heard the snow was coming, had a few days off work and just went through and changed the wheels and bearings, FINALLY got the track adjustment problem fixed for good, new plugs, fuel lines, greased every zurk fitting i could find and now the thing runs like a champ! I was out for a while yesterday and thought "there's no way I can sell this thing now!". But, I'm keeping my word and delivering it to him on tuesday.
On a side note....I let my 10 year old boy take the sled for spin just up and down our street yesterday before the plows came thru. He got about a block up the road and I see blue and red lights. Two West Bend squads pulled him over. I ran up the road and the cops were super cool about the whole situation. But, the boy was freaked out.

SmokinRAM114
02-08-2008, 08:20 AM
ill sell you a 07 phazer 500 four stroke liquid. :)

70 cutlass 442
02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I was waiting for that Jon.:rolf I was just fed up with constantly wrenching on my Indy so I threw it out there to a friend of mine and offered it up for sale, and he said "i'll take it". I heard the snow was coming, had a few days off work and just went through and changed the wheels and bearings, FINALLY got the track adjustment problem fixed for good, new plugs, fuel lines, greased every zurk fitting i could find and now the thing runs like a champ! I was out for a while yesterday and thought "there's no way I can sell this thing now!". But, I'm keeping my word and delivering it to him on tuesday.
On a side note....I let my 10 year old boy take the sled for spin just up and down our street yesterday before the plows came thru. He got about a block up the road and I see blue and red lights. Two West Bend squads pulled him over. I ran up the road and the cops were super cool about the whole situation. But, the boy was freaked out.

well in all reality, the 87 phazer was actually a really decent sled, pretty damn quick for the year/ engine displacement, and the independant shock tower made for a real smooth ride, there was one at the new berlin races just kickin ass on all the guys with late 90s and early 00s' sleds.
if you get for a good price then im sure it would be worth it :thumbsup

stenchmiester
02-09-2008, 01:00 PM
my friend jason has a an older phazer with a pipe stator and milled heads and it rocks i want to by another one if i sell my sled

u_say_go
02-09-2008, 11:14 PM
went to go check out the "mint" Exciter I was told about today....what a hunk of f**kin' garbage! The thing was buried under 3 feet of snow and a swingset collapsed on top of it. Missing a ski, wouldnt run, hasnt run in 4 years, seat looked like a Rottweiler was chewing on it. I thanked the guy for wasting my time and off I went. Called another guy from a Craigslist ad, and went to check out his 1989 Exciter. Holy mother of all deals!!!!:stare 1989 Yamaha Exciter 570 l/c, 5000 miles, original owner, stored in a heated/air conditioned shop since day one, new studded track, rebuilt suspension all around, not a knick or scratch on the thing.....$650!!! Took it home, fired it up on one pull and yanked the skis for about 10 feet! What a difference going from that clunker Polaris Indy!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/jaydubya_2006/New_Pictures_2007_117.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3/jaydubya_2006/New_Pictures_2007_116.jpg

70 cutlass 442
02-10-2008, 02:12 AM
good score, that 570 is a kik ass motor!!