PDA

View Full Version : 3rd shift guys please come inside

rally_scort
02-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Im being interviewed for a 3rd shift position at Waukesha Dresser.Ive worked 3rd shift a few years back for about a month, and it was way too hard to get used to.Im looking for some advice on how to get into a 3rd shift routine.What time is best to sleep, what time to wake up to get ready,etc? Im looking to see what works best so i can make this job stick.I only require about 6 hours of sleep to have enough energy for my past jobs, so im not goin to need to sleep all day.

badass88gt
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I love 3rd. I sleep right after work, I get off at 630am and I'm usually sleeping by 8. Sleep till 3 or 4, be back at work by 1030pm. Sleeping during the day is my favorite, no one is home, mouse is peaceful and quiet. I have a big ass piece of black felt (actually 2 layers of it) over my window, the bedroom is black during the day, works perfect.

rally_scort
02-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I love 3rd. I sleep right after work, I get off at 630am and I'm usually sleeping by 8. Sleep till 3 or 4, be back at work by 1030pm. Sleeping during the day is my favorite, no one is home, mouse is peaceful and quiet. I have a big ass piece of black felt (actually 2 layers of it) over my window, the bedroom is black during the day, works perfect.

im guessing most freetime is goin to end up on weekends then , eh :rolleyes:

97z2801ss
02-04-2008, 07:04 PM
if you do it as he says yep most your free time is before work or weekends. Id sleep from 9 - 430 and be fine.... its hard cuz its reverse of everyone and all your peoples but good cuz you are not obligated to do everything. you gotta find the routine that works for you and stick with it though. Alot of my co workers drink E-drinks and all that jazz.

badass88gt
02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
I have plenty of free time, all evening and all weekend. I sleep when everyone else is at work, it's just flip-flopped. No on ecan play till after 4pm during the week with their normal day jobs anyway. Its no different than working a 1st shift job, except when I'm working theyre sleeping, and vice versa.

rally_scort
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I have plenty of free time, all evening and all weekend. I sleep when everyone else is at work, it's just flip-flopped. No on ecan play till after 4pm during the week with their normal day jobs anyway. Its no different than working a 1st shift job, except when I'm working theyre sleeping, and vice versa.

never thought of it that way, thanks guys for the help.Im sure ill figure it out, its just kinda discouraging thinking back how hard it was last time.Then again i was 18 and getting into trouble back then :D

xxtremeteam
02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
i work 3rd at st lukes hospital 4days a week (10hrs a night) my shift is 9pm to 7am home by 8am asleep by 9:30 up no later than 3 in the afternoon i like 3rd this is my first third shift job hopping to be back to first by end of summer

Z28Envy
02-04-2008, 07:24 PM
I work what we call second shift. The shift is suppose to be 4:30pm tp 3:00am 4 days a week but we have been so busy for the last year and a half that we have been working 6:00pm to 6:00am. I usually try to sleep as right when I get home and try to get up 2-3 hour before I start. This way I can see my finace for a couple of hours. It sucks! Have been working 12/hr 5 days a week lately. It is much easier for me to get up in the afternoon than it is in the morning. I love that part of working nights. I can sleep 8-12 hours at night and when I get up early in the morning I am tired as hell. Working at night I can get anywhere from 6-10 hours of sleep and always wake up felling good. not sure why but my body hates getting up in the morning.

I also loved nights because there is only one other supervisor besides myself in the building and she is on the other end of the plant. We don't have to worry about any of our bosses being around and can pretty much do as we please.

ThatWhiteCivic
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I work 3rd and I think it's great. Get to sleep around 8 till 2 and another quick nap from 8 till 10. 11:00 Back at work.

Poncho
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
up to you really.

I either got home @ 6 and went right to bed and got up in the afternoon, or stayed up till noon, then went to bed and got up @ 8 to be @ work by 9.

Not a problem at all once you get used to it, in a few days.

Cleveland Dave
02-04-2008, 08:58 PM
i work 10pm to 8am mon,tues, thurs and wed i work 12am-10am.

i usually stay up til 1030-1230 and sleep til about 9. except for wednesdays i go to sleep around 9-930 and get up around 6 and hang out with friends.

im in the basement with stuff over the windows to keep the light out. also i usually turn my cell phone to silent cuz people dont seem to understand that IM SLEEPING during the day.

the only thing that ****s me up is fridays and mondays...switching back and forth from normal hours can be challenging.

Poncho
02-04-2008, 09:04 PM
It was fun I got to refer to everyone else as day walkers.

Also my bedroom rarely sees light, as even though I've switched, Nicole is still 6pm-6am